Author Topic: Wendy's Surgery Update  (Read 23100 times)

wendysig

Re: Wendy's Surgery Update
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2008, 03:47:34 pm »
Hi all!!!
I finally got home yesterday afternoon about 3:30.  I am so relieved to be here and thank alll of you for all your messages and good wishes.  I'm sure one of the reasons things went so well was because I had so many people pulling for me!  Rehab was not all it was cracked up to be and I actually ended up waiting for two days for a bed and only getting about 1 1/2 hours of rehab at Mt. Sinai.  I'm planning to find a good center here on Staten Island, and I understand there are quite a few of them here.  I went for my first post-op checkup today and the wonderful Dr. Choe told me he ia extremely happy witht how well I am doing.  I am doing really well and only have a very slight weakness in my right eye, which Dr. Choe said looked even better today. He feels certain it will be gone in a month or less.  I think he deserves much of the credit for that but he also told me my strenghth and positive attitude also contributed a lot to my outcome  I think much of the credit for that goes to yoiu my AN family.  You stood by me, made me laugh, listened to me complain,  helped calm my fears  and helped guide me through this propcess and I will be eternally grateful for that.  I hope in some way I have helped some of you and will continue to do my best to do so. 

Debbi - Thank you again for doing such a great job of keeping everyone updated.  I know everyone is always anxious to know how surgery has gone for each of us and you certainly did  a wonderfful job. I 'm also glad everyone liked the pics. Rob was a very good photographer and very cooperative about forwarding them to Debbi for posting!

My bunny slippers were a source of laughter and fun to me and the hospital staff and other patients and visitors.  They really helped keep my spirits up and I highly recommend bunny slippers to everyone (I would share mine but they are quite old (about 25 years old actually) and fragile and have a great deal of sentimental value to me.)   The magic scarf bestowed upon me by my excellent press secretary Debbi will be passed on to bring luck to someone in the near future.  I have to check the calendar and see who has surgery coming up and is interested and then determine how quickly I can get it to them.    I think Steve -- Maybe you should buy a knitting machine so you can knit everyone a pair of bunny slippers, or maybe he should hire some helpers (hmmm -- Steve I guess you should use pink and white for the women and blue and white for the men --  or for a good laugh, maybe the other way around.  I think real men can wear bunny slippers!!!   I'm sure Phyl could pay for it out of the moderators discretionary fund!! 

To my fellow quadruplets -- I guess Jan and I are the oldest, or I guess that's about right and I think we might also be the tallest.  I remember Jan saying she is 5'10" and I am 5'8" and we both have brown hair.  Jan -- Just so I know how much we look alike, my eyes are hazel what color are yours?  It's okay if K and Lori are the little sisters.  It just means now there are two older sisters to boss them around!!! After that's what big sisters are for!   No back talk Lori -- you are the youngest aren't you -- or is that K?

My thanks again to everyone,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2008, 04:44:20 pm »
WELCOME HOME WENDY!!!!!!
Your pics look great by the way!!!! I wish well on the road to recovery. We missed you!!!1
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

sgerrard

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2008, 07:39:18 pm »
Wendy,

Glad to hear you are home. I am hoping that you won't credit the bunny slippers too much; the prospect of knitting some for everyone is daunting.  :P

It sounds like you have come through in great shape. Just remember to take it easy now, and recuperate gently for a while.

Maybe you would like to do a little knitting while you wait?   ::)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2008, 07:56:03 pm »
Wendy -

It's fantastic to have you back!  :D  And in such great shape, too!  I'm so glad we could be here to support you during your AN journey - I know from experience it makes all the difference in the world. 

You and I will be the tall quadruplets - Lori is definitely a short one, and I'm not too sure about Kay.  Lori is the youngest I believe, although I know Kay is younger than I am.  Although Lori will tell you I'm "ancient" - I'm only 46 1/2  ::)

As for my eyes - they are very light blue, but change to green depending on what I wear. 

Being #4 out of 5 children in "real life", I'd love to boss someone around - other than my kids  ;D  I'm definitely up to that job!

Sister Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2008, 09:21:19 pm »
Welcome home, Wendy!  Now the real healing begins!  I'm sure you are happy to be home.  I'm also glad that the bunny slippers and the scarf worked for you!  Congrats!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wendysig

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:02 pm »
Jan -
It would appear I am the first-born of our quadruplet group since I just turned 55 (yikes -that sounds old when I write it down but doesn't feel it.  I'd like to think I look good for my age -- you can lie if you have to, but I'd appreciate it if you agreed, ha ha!) ) exactly one week before my surgery.  I am #5  of nine (gasp!! the dreaded middle child too -- who siad that?) children  and have had lots of experience being bossed around and doing some bossing myself.  If you need help asserting your authority with our younger siblings, I'm here to help!!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »
Mindy,
Thanks for the welcome home and I'm glad you liked the pics!  I'm really feeling pretty good except for the frequent headaches everyone seems to experience and a bad back.  Hopefully a few nights in my own bed will take care of my back anyway.  In the meantime, if anyone else has this problem I highly recomment Thermacare Heat pads.  They work wonders!!

Brian -
Thanks for the welcome back too.  I am anxious to get better but have learned from all of you that paiientce is a virtue we should all try to practice.  I am enjoying my leisure from household duties as much as I can (I put my kids to work today) and since I never heard of the AN clause about never having to do housework again (I think Jan or Lor mentioned this clause in another thread), am wondering how I can best break this news to my husband and kids once I have them trained!! It sounds like a great perk that we all deserve!

Looking forward to some pampering,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2008, 05:35:12 am »
Wendy,

Welcome home and very happy to hear of your great success in healing.  Yes, patience is a lesson we all learn or re-learn and the housework thing?!  well I milked that one for a year by having a cleaning team come in.  What a treat!  Love your slippers I'm sure they were a big part of your attitude towards healing!  Good news Wendy and may you continue to heal quickly. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2008, 09:03:41 am »
Wendy -

you definitely don't look your age - no lie involved.  I would have put you closer to mine.  Perhaps those bunny slippers and that fashionable scarf took away a few years.  I'm not next in line for AN surgery, but maybe you could send them to me when you're done with them  ;)

Yes, you should lay off the housework for a while - forever if you can manage it  ;) - besides that's what childen and husbands are for.  I'm sure Lori would agree!

Eight siblings!  I should tell my daughter that.  She's always complaining about her one brother - it seems he's "so annoying"  :D

My dad is one of 14 (7 boys and 7 girls) although I don't know where he falls in the birth order.  His mother had 2 miscarriages during his childhood, so he could have been one of 16  :o  This was back in the good old days, way before epidurals!  YIKES!!!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2008, 05:48:34 pm »
Wendy - I got so excited to see you back, that I posted a welcome back to you on my thread!  (Duh!)  I actaully got a little worried on Thursday and sent Rob a message to make sure you were okay - so I am SOOOO happy to see you back! 

I have no doubt that your great attitude and general good health helped you get through this in such fine shape (of course, great surgeons get some of the credit, too  ;)).  I couldn't get over how alert and good you looked in the pictures that Rob sent - wow!  And, btw, I would NEVER have guessed you to be 55!  You look amazing - and that's straight from the heart from one "over 50" to another!!  8)

Just make sure you continue to get lots of rest and let everyone wait on you hand and foot, okay?  I'll try to call you this week.

Big hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2008, 07:50:58 pm »
Arushi -
Thanks for your good wishes and yes I know patience, patience, patience is the key --  I will do my best not to try to rush through recovery -- hey, that rhymes!  Seriously though I know the support I got from all of you was key in my great outcome.  Thanks again!!

Jan -- Thanks for  saying I look so young -- actually my kids tell all their friends I'm 37 (it starrted by them turning my age around when I was 53 and they have just aged me one year for the past two years.  I don't mean to sound vain but I do think I can pass for being in my mid-forties -- as long as my gray doesn't show anyway.  No wrinkles  yet!

Debbi - Thank you too!  You certainly don't look like you're past your early to mid-forties either.  Maybe you should turn your age around too if it works to your benefit!  As for welcoming me back on your own thread, you can welcome me back as many times as you want to -- it's great to be back and on the mend!  If  the backaches would stop; -- these are my major complaint because they just make everything else feel mangified, I would feel a lot better.  I see what everyone means about the fatigue.  I've always slept a lot when I'm sick but I've never been this tired on a constant basis.  Today is the longest I've been awake in a single stretch and I think it was only for about 8 hours, then I slept 2 hours got up at 7:00  and I'm almost ready for bed again.  I guess I'll certainly be getting my beauty sleep, haha.  One upside the hospital experience is that I lost another 10 pounds thanks to the wonderful (yuck!!!) food there.  I have been eating though -- I don't want you to think I've been starving myself.  My stay shrank my appetiite and I'm encouraging it to stay that way.  I see why you ate lots of veggies in the hospital -- they taste better and are better pepared than anything else.  This is a habit I plan to continue.  The only food that tasted better than the veggies was the ice cream.  The nurses on the surgical floor found out how much I liked it and made sure I got it every night whether I was supposed to or not, bless their hearts!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:37 am »
Welcome home Wendy--remember, no cleaning the kitchen or any other part of the house for as long as possible.  Wishing you the quickest possible recovery.  Get some fresh air if you can, it will do a world of good. Even just sitting outside will invigorate you.  And I have a long list of movie rental suggestions, you need only ask.
All best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2008, 12:46:05 pm »
Wendy,

Now I know how difficult it is to take orders from someonne WAY younger than you, but LISTEN to Marci ;)  See Marci and I are the same age,  We know what we are talking about!  Right surgery sister ;D

Anne marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2008, 12:52:16 pm »
You said it Anne Marie!
Marci (aka "surgery sister")
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2008, 02:38:43 pm »
Wendy - Welcome home!  And welcome home to the bunnies too.

As much as I enjoy being the youngest (I'm the youngest of 4 in real life), I guess I'd have to admit that Kay gets that place of honor.   :(  But I'm pretty sure she's catching up to me.  And no wrinkles here yet either - definitely the plus side to the facial nerve issues!  Now if I could only paralyze the part that makes the hair turn grey...

You really sound like you're doing well and I hope your recovery continues to go well.  Definitely steer clear of the housework though - this may be the only time you get an excuse to avoid it!  Don't let the opportunity pass you by!  Although I guess I shouldn't talk because the day I came home from the hospital, the first thing I did was attack the kitchen counters with bleach.  After that I went right up to bed though!   ;D

Go rest!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.