Author Topic: does alcohol affect in the recuparation at all?  (Read 2672 times)

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
does alcohol affect in the recuparation at all?
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:19:52 pm »
I was wonder if a couple of drinks will affect i the recuparation, or regreowth of the nerve?
Carlita :)

calimama

Re: does alcohol affect in the recuparation at all?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:25:45 pm »
Great question! I sure hope wine is ok! oh, and beer! it's summer after all!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:19 pm »
I thought alcohol was a must for recovery.  In all seriousness though, sounds like a question for the doctor, but I can't imagine one glass of wine or a beer doing anything but good.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07:38 am »
When I was in the Rehab center I asked the Dr if I could drink a glass of wine or a beer in the evening and she said yes it would probably help me relax and maybe sleep better.  I have high blood pressure since surgery and she recommended red wine.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

tony

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:00 am »
I need to come clean here (but not dry, surely ?)
A little vino will do no real harm etc
HOWEVER - you may find your balance a little unsettled
as a result of the treatments - and any beer or wine will
tend to exaggerate this process
So in a safe controlled environment (ie a soft landing ?)
no problem - but if in a fall/risk/dark situation
maybe best to go easy for a bit ?
Best Regards
Tony

satman

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:52:21 am »
i can honestly say that i put it to the test every weekend.ha,ha..........
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:18:55 pm »
Hahahahaha, yeah i was just wondering, but i guess vino bloanco or rojo won't harm me? right? Thanks for the answers but you know i am only 25 and not working or going to school at the moment. So i have been going out with friends. It is really frustrated not to smile anymore and wine takes it away :(
Carlita :)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:43:59 pm »
I'm with everyone else in that a few drinks won't hurt (and could help overall) a thing!  I've asked my doc if drinking beer was okay (as soon as a month or so after surgery) and he said it would be fine.  I've drank only a few times since the surgery and I've been fine!  It doesn't seem to help or hurt the recovery at all.  I'm still testing it though! ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:23 pm »
This is probably a "no-brainer" but if you're on medication, alcohol might not be the best thing  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:22:52 pm »
Carlita:

I'm ambivalent about drinking - never developed a taste for alcoholic beverages, so this was a non-issue for me.  However, I doubt that using alcohol in moderation would be detrimental to healing from AN surgery.  Your doctor would have a more credible response.

Jan has a valid point about the folly of a using alcoholic beverages while taking prescription medications. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:59 pm »
It is a good idea to chase your alcohol with extra glasses of water.  Dehydration is an issue in the summer months anyway.  Alcohol adds to dehydration.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:11:46 am »
Good point, Boppie, about the dehydration.  I would also add that if you have facial paralysis, your salivary glands on the paralyzed side may not produce a normal about of sialiva, so drinking more water is a must!  And,yes, I know that because I am not as full of spit as I once was!   ;D

I did ask my surgeon if a glass of wine was okay, and he said no problem!  (But NOT when taking any sort of meds for pain!)

Cheers!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 11:21:37 am »
Hi, all,

I was told after my first surgery is that alcohol is a CNS depressant and it will affect balance more than anything else. Since most of us are already somewhat affected in that regard, I would be extra careful to make sure I do not fall. Just passing along...

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:51:49 pm »
And,yes, I know that because I am not as full of spit as I once was!   ;D

Debbi -

after I read this part of your post, I did a double take!  It seems I didn't read the word "spit" correctly and thought you said "sh*t"  :D LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways