Author Topic: radiation under 30 years old??  (Read 2661 times)

Pascale

radiation under 30 years old??
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:39:53 pm »
hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone here that has done or knows someone that has done radiation and was under 30 years old.

I know radiation is very common in older people but I am wondering "how about for younger people".

I talked to Dr. Chang at Stanford (very nice person) and he explained that they have statistics for about 30 years in radiation and the % of people that had a malignant outcome was lower then 1%....

I was set on surgery but would love to do radiation...so much simpler and the outcomes look better...don't know. If you could give me any info about your radiation experience, the "Cyber Knife" way, it would be great.

Also, has anyone been treated with Dr. Chang?

Thank you
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

sgerrard

Re: radiation under 30 years old??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:45:23 pm »
Hi Pascale,

There are things worth worrying about with radiation, like swelling and pressure on the brainstem, and things not worth worrying about, like making the AN malignant.

Here is a recent article, reporting case #20 of a malignant tumor associated with stereotactic radiation treatment of a benign brain tumor.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17704364

Here is a post I made in thread on the subject recently:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6779.msg68384#msg68384

Bottom line, summarized by me:
8 cases of NF2; 6 cases of regular AN. That's the grand total, world wide, in the entire history of radiation treatments.

Bottom line, from the authors:
The exact carcinogenic risk after radiotherapy is unknown but likely extremely low.

I can (and will) live with that.

I had CK with Dr. Chang, and thought the Stanford group was excellent. If you want the whole story, I posted it here:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3929.msg64193#msg64193

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:37:28 pm »
Hi Pascale,

You raise great questions. I asked myself those questions and I was well over thirty!!!! I guess that "Older people" crowd you suggest:-) Part of my decision was based on my tumor size.

May I ask you how large your tumor is and what is your hearing level?

There are many on this forum treated by Dr. Chang that will be happy to share Dr. Chang and Stanford's accolades..

Kate
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:44:06 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

DebbieL

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:46:39 pm »
Hi Pascale,

I just finished CK at Standford with Dr. Adler and the doctors and the entire experience was very good.
Mine was only 40 minutes for each session for three consecutive days.  After each session they gave me a pill to help with brain swelling and naseau which helped as I didn't have many problems.  I was undecided at first as to whether I should just get the tumor out and be done with it or do CK.  It's a personal decision but all the info you need to help you make it is definitely here on the forum.  Everyone here was a big help in making my decision along with my neurologist and neurosugeon who suggested CK because it is less invasive.  Good luck with your decision. 

km5

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:09:24 pm »
Hello,
Please refer to extensive discussions in the "inquiry" section entitled mother of 23-yr-old 4 mm AN son.  The whole subject of radiation on a young person was extensively discussed.

I was convinced, after speaking with Dr. Chang, and reading the med journals, that while the data re CK does not span 30 plus years yet, there is very little concern or validity to argument that radiation has more chance of producing malignancy in a younger person.  I came to the conclusion that there is real concern about the risks/effects of brain surgery if it is not essential to control the AN.

We are in "watch and wait" status until September for 6 mo follow-up MRI.
Best of luck to you,
Katherine

Pascale

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:08:43 am »
hello everyone

I have been away from the forum for a bit but thank you for the replies!!  ;D

Well, I guess we will never know what can happen and I also think it depends on each person's body and the way it "fights" after radiation and all. I will be starting a fierce regimente of eating healthy foods, taking Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C,  fish oil and bla BLA BLA.......all that is good for the body and make you stronger and more prepared to help heal the scars.

I will be looking and reading at the story of the mother with the 23yo son.

Thank you for all the input:)
pascale
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D