Author Topic: Kathleen McCracken Update  (Read 2375 times)

Kathleen5306

Kathleen McCracken Update
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:29:37 pm »
I almost fell out of my chair tonight when my phone rang, the caller ID said Marty McCracken, but Kathleen was on the other end!  She has been moved to a regular hospital room and was in great spirits.  She definitely still has a headache and we only chatted for a minute, but 24 hours after brain surgery and she can talk on the phone!  She sounded very relieved and wanted me to be sure to tell you all that she's making progress-

Maggie
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Kathleen McCracken Update
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:33:24 pm »
That's great!  I don't remember anything clearly for 3 days after my surgery.  The fact that she wanted (and did) talk on the phone 1 day after surgery is great!  A headache after surgery is normal and nothing to be concerned with unless it doesn't go away.  Everything is going swimmingly!  Congrats to her.  Tell her that we are all thinking of her too!  Thanks for keeping us updated!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:09:29 pm »
Glad to hear Kathleen is in good spirits and feeling well....... ;D YEAH KATHLEEN!!!!!!!!!!
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:26 am »
Great to hear that you were able to talk on the phone.  Seems to me you are on your way to recovery.  Positive energy and good thoughts sent to you from Colorado.  Nancy

12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

lori67

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:35 am »
You just can't keep a good woman down, I guess!  Or at least you can't keep her from talking on the phone!   :D

I'm telling you, records are being broken all the time around here lately!  We are a very resilient group, aren't we?

Continued good luck to Kathleen!  I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well already!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:33 am »
Way to go Kathleen!!!

I'm glad to hear it sounds like you're doing great!!  Keep up the great job with your recovery.  I have to agree with Lori, you can't keep a good woman down or off the phone.  It just makes you feel better to reconnect with the outside world, doesn't it?  Take care of yourself and remember not to overdo it too much.  Having now been there I know it's tempting to try to do everything you can, but one step at a time is the better part of valor!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 11:28:26 am »
Kathleen, when you start online shopping we'll know you're fully back.  The phone is the first step.  Then the credit card, and so forth.  So happy to hear you're doing so well!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:54:37 am »
You just can't keep a good woman down, I guess!  Or at least you can't keep her from talking on the phone!   :D

Lori

Hi Kathleen,

That's right! You can't keep a person from talking on the phone even if they say cell phones are the cause of our tumors. But i don't believe my phone caused mine. Until they can prove otherwise, I'm keeping my phone handy.

Glad your making progress. The only thing I remember about the day after my surgery was that I kept my eyes closed because one eye was bouncing all over the place and the other felt like it was spinning. On day 3, I was able to open my eyes and focus.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »
Marci,

Loved your comment.  That should give Kathleen a chuckle!!!

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »
Hey Maggie
Great news.  I think I may have been on the phone soon after surgery -- only I had no clue what I was saying and who I was saying it to.  Eight months later and I'm still not sure.

When you speak with Kathleen, would you ask her what day her appointment is with Dr Stefan?  There's a chance that we could run into each other there.  I'll be at St Vincents having an MRI on Tuesday -- and at Dr Stefans following that.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:18:06 am »
David -

in case I forget to say it on Monday, good luck on Tuesday.  I hope the MRI enlightens the docs at to what is going on with you.

BTW, since you are in charge of the weekly calendar thread, are you going to mention your own procedure?  At my age, I need all the reminders I can get  ;)

And no folks, I am not hijacking this thread.  I just got done wishing Kathleen well on another thread about her recovery.  She's so popular here, it seems she has more than one recovery thread going.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways