Author Topic: recovery ?? For those with AN over 3.5cm  (Read 3952 times)

konnie

Re: recovery ?? For those with AN over 3.5cm
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 08:23:53 pm »
Hello Again, :)

Just talked to Konnie and thought I would share some other issues after surgery. She is experiencing dryness in her left eye and no tears so far.  Thank you Joef for mentoning the drops we asked for them after reading your comment. Konnie was also having numbness of her left cheek which as of tonight she can feel it again. Also thank you to MAlegant for the comparison to childbirth, Konnie and I had a little chuckle over the possiblity of not remembering the pain and looking forward to that. Lastly she told me they are giving her a stronger dose of meds so she a can sleep and the pain in her neck is improving. As I'm sure you may also know that she lost all hearing in hear left ear, and had some buzzing in her good ear for about 12 hours.

I would also like to thank Jim Scott, Pooter, Joef, Robynabc, Pembo, Gloriann. Your stories have meant a great deal to Konnie as she prepared for surgery, being that your tumors were close in size. And Thank you to Grace1, leapyrtwins, sgerrard,  Arushi for all best wishes and encouragment.
You are all a testament to this forum of giving of your time and sharing your experiences with a generous heart, and please know that it gives us all strength and encouragement to endure the steps need for the best success in recovery. 

We know this is just the first of many steps AN patients have to go through. This forum has been a great tool before and after surgeries. Reading others experiences has given wonderful information of what to expect and other options as well as things to look for.
Thank you Debbie ;)

AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:05:38 pm »
Debbi:

I'm so pleased to learn of Konnie's progress as she recovers from her AN surgery.  Your updates have been very informative and we thank you for your diligence.  I'm sure your sister also appreciates your efforts on her behalf.  I know many folks here do.

I'm equally pleased to know that this website and these message boards have been of such a great help to Konnie.  That is their purpose.  Our membership is generally well informed with excellent communication skills and are always enthusiastic about sharing their experience and advising others when asked.  Please encourage Konnie to remain a part of the 'AN community' as she recuperates.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gloriann

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 08:47:22 am »
I am so happy to hear how well Konnie has done. It sounds like she is having a good recovery so far.

If nobody has told her yet, I would like to offer some advice that my ear surgeon gave me while I was still in the hospital.

He stressed to me daily on his visits that when I go home, not to bend over to pick up anything off the floor or not to bend over for any reason whatsoever for at least 3 weeks.

He also told me to use 2 pillows to sleep for awhile, to keep my head elevated and also for me NOT TO STRAIN IN ANY WAY.

He said if I became constipated (which is so common after any surgery, as your body is still trying to wake up) to call him and he would prescribe some pills, because any kind of strain can hurt your recovery process.

The thing he was trying to prevent was a spinal fluid leak, which he said is the most common complication from brain surgery.

I followed his advice and did not have any complications. I did have the facial paralysis, but that was from the surgery itself, not from the recovery period.

I had 2 doctors operating on me and the surgery was about 12 hours. First the ear surgeon removed the bone behind my ear and made the "window" past all the nerves to the tumor, then the neurosurgeaon removed the tumor one tiny piece at a time, then the ear surgeon closed me up. It was the translab approach.

I pray that Konnie's recovery will continue on a good path. Please continue to ask questions on this forum because I know it really is a big help. 
4 cm AN removed 2001- Memphis, Tn by
Dr Gale Gardner and Dr Jon Robertson

7/12 nerve graft 2002- Dr Jon Robertson

gold weight 2001 Memphis, a few days after tumor surgery- Dr James Fleming

Gamma Knife done December 29, 2010 at LSU Shreveport

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 02:32:15 pm »
Go Konnie!  Eat the bad food and get out of bed when they ask you to do it.  It will get better.  I'm thinking of you.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 11:17:42 pm »
Eat the bad food and get out of bed when they ask you to do it.  It will get better. 

When all is said and done, that is probably the best advice we have for all those going through treatment.  ;)

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

robynabc

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 07:04:14 pm »
HI,

Just wanted to say.  So glad you are doing okay.  I think the thing to look towards is you will be much better after you get off those crazy steroids.  That was the hardest part for Eric and you will be amazed about how much better you will feel after a month.  Just hang in there things are going to get better soon. 

Peace and Love,

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 11:22:53 pm »
Hi, Debbie -

Thank you for the update on Konnie.  Although I know for a fact that she is in the hands of two incredible doctors, I was wondering how she is doing.  From what I've read in your recent posts, she's right on track with her recovery.

I don't know if I told Konnie, but I am also SSD (single-sided deaf) from my AN surgery, but opted for a BAHA implant a few months ago with Dr. Wiet's partner, Dr. Battista.  Dr. Battista also did my AN surgery.  It's a little premature for Konnie to be thinking about a BAHA, but please tell her that I've found it to be a wonderful option and would love to tell her all about it if or when she's interested.  I'd also be more than willing to show it to her.

For now, please tell her that I've been thinking of her and praying for her. 

I'm still in Minnesota but will be heading back home to Illinois on Thursday afternoon.  Please ask Konnie to call or PM me when she feels up to it.

Thank you,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways