Author Topic: Sue L Surgery Update  (Read 8507 times)

sgerrard

Sue L Surgery Update
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:09:52 pm »
Looks like I got Debbi's job, she must be on break. :)

This is an emailed update from Lynn on Sue L's surgery, sent half an hour ago:

Hey everyone!!  Good news!!  She made it out of surgery OK.  She is in critical care and will be there overnight as they have no beds for her in the hospital.  They got the whole tumor out, she lost her hearing permanently in her left ear, but her facial nerve seems fine.  Of course there is swelling from the surgery and she will have partial facial problems until the swelling goes down.  She is all wrapped up with a turban on her head. She was mumbling and trying to open her eyes but still tired, sore and queasy.  So she hopefully is sleeping it off. The surgery took 7.5 hours and was recovering for 2.5 hours.  We didn't get into see her until 7:30pm.  I apologize for it taking so long to write, but we are just getting back to the Inn.  Don't hesitate to write back I will try to update you daily.  Lynn

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Sue L Surgery Update
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 10:18:17 pm »
Steve:

Thanks for passing along Lynn's update on Sue L.'s surgery, which was basically good news.

I hope the various issues Sue is dealing with will be temporary, even if her hearing loss is not. 

Looking forward to further updates.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:57 pm »
Thanks Steve,

Hurray for Sue! Hope they find a room for you soon.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

waypoint

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 05:52:24 am »
Prayers sent up for a quick recovery
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 07:21:18 am »
Lynn-

Thanks so much for the updat on Sue - and glad she got through the surgery okay.  If history is any indicator, she is going to feel like "poop" today, but it gets better!  Give her hugs and well wishes from all of us!

Steve, thanks for taking this on!  I was out of away from my office when Sue was looking for a scribe, so thank you for jumping in! 

Hugs to SueL.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:42 am »
Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to hear that things went well with surgery.  Rest is in order.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »
Glad to keep hearing good news today!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

fbarbera

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:44:48 pm »
Fantastic news.  Thank you.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 01:57:31 pm »
Sue,

The first couple days can be devastating, surgery is tough on us.  Remember with each passing day you will have improvements even if they are small and this is always a good sign.  I'm glad you are through the toughest part and that all went well.  Sorry to hear about your SSDness and don't be surprised if you feel blue over what you have lost.  Try to embrace the "new you" and hoping you more days of a speedy recovery so you can get home!  Thank you to Steve for passing on Lynn's message. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Glenda

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:48 pm »
Good news!  I'm glad it's over for you Sue L!  Get lots of rest and feel better soon! 

God Bless!
Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:03:19 pm »
Steve,
Thanks for passing on Lynn's message about Sue.  I've been wondering when we would hear something. 

Sue, sorry about the hearing loss but I hope will will soon be feeling better in every other way.  The first couple of days are the tougher ones, but once you get the head wrap off you will feel much better.  I hope whatever facial issues you have resolve soon, Lynn didn't say what they are.  If you have the magic AN scarf, and I hope you do, we'd love to see a picture when you are feeling up to it.  Don't forget your idea about the notebook too, it was a great idea to chronicle your experience and pass it along to the next person.  In the meantime,  get lots of rest and buildi up your strength, be patient and kind to yourself.  Above all, let yourself be pampered by your loved ones -- it does them as much good as it does you.

Wishing you all good things,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 04:50:46 pm »
Thanks for the update Steve and Lynn.

Welcome to postie land, Sue  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 07:37:47 pm »
Lynn is apparently one of Sue's daughters; her sister Karen will be taking over the updates shortly.

I think this latest is from this morning. It sounds like Sue is having a little trouble settling her stomach - because she has no bunny slippers, I guess (sorry, Sue). I'm sure she will be doing better soon, it is not even 24 hours yet.

Today we went to see her in the morning.  We called her before going into the hospital and believe it or not she spoke to us on the phone.  That was a shocker!!  So, we made our way into the hospital and she in now in the Neurological Intensive Care unit.  She may move again out of this unit and into the "normal" hospital tomorrow if all goes well.  I just got off the phone with her and she is sitting in a chair.  She didn't really walk b/c of the dizziness but she is sitting.  She still is not able to eat.  Still vomiting. Trying to sip Ginger ale.   She will definitely be there until Monday, but we are not sure what after that.  Lynn

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:42 pm »
Thanks again for the latest update, Steve.

The stomach problems are annoying but will likely pass fairly soon.  I called it the 'anesthesia diet'.  Sitting up in a chair is a major accomplishment, so soon post-op.

I'm very encouraged by this news and foresee a rapid recovery for Sue.  I hope I'm right.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:20:50 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 06:26:13 am »
Thanks for the update on Sue.

Hi Sue -- Sorry about your stomach problems.  I guess I should have gotten you your own bunny slippers since I couldn't part with mine.  I hope your stomach issues pass quickly and that you will soon be back home.   I know sitting in a chair is a major accomplishment -- things start getting better once you've done that.   I just realized I had surgery just two weeks ago today.  You'll be happy to know that the time between then and now passed  really quickly, with what I considered major milestones.  Walking with assistance, walking with a cane but otherwise unassisted (I hated the walker).  I am able to walk around my house withoutmy cane but use it outside and am looking forward to getting rid of it completely.  Take one step at a time though and go at your own pace.  Hope the magic AN scarf continues to work its magic for you.

Wishing you all good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!