Author Topic: I can feel my lower right lip!  (Read 4430 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
I can feel my lower right lip!
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »
I know this might not seem like too much, but since most of the right side of my face is numb (except for my upper lip) it seems like a lot to me.  A smaller-than-a-dime spot on my lower lip has feeling!  Yay!  Now I almost have 4 working lip quadrants!!!   ;D

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jerseygirl

Re: I can feel my lower right lip!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:27:37 pm »
Hi Marci,

Congratulations! The fact that you are regaining your sensation so soon after surgery is incredibly encouraging. Hopefully this means complete recovery in a year or so. Everything should return/calm down in time.

My trigeminal nerve has been very impacted by my AN and  I awoke to practically no sensation in my right face. I had some on my forehead and less, almost none near my lip. Half of my tongue has also been numb. Sensation on the forehead and eye returned within 10 days, tongue at 3 months and the rest of the face was slowly coming back. Central (cheek) portion, interestingly, was the last one to come back. I was overjoyed when I felt an eye drop rolling down my cheek and I can feel the food at the corner, too. Now, at almost 13 months post-op, I still have reduced sensation near the nose and near the mouth but they are coming back, can't complain. In my experience total numbness is replaced first by pins-and-needles and burning sensations for months before it becomes totally normal.  You are doing fabulously well, Marci. Wish you continued progress!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

MAlegant

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:52:27 pm »
Thanks Eve.  I am encouraged by even a small amount of progress and would be so happy if feeling returned, even if it takes a year or longer. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:52:46 pm »
Yay Marci!!!
Congrats on getting sensation back in at least a part of your lip what fantastic news!  Every little bit of progress you make is a victory to be celebrated.  I hope you continue to see improvement every day!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:40:01 pm »
Marci,

It sounds like the progress is expanding:-) 4 quadrants is something to celebrate!
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:24 pm »
Congrats on starting to get your 4th quadrant back!  That's great news so soon after surgery!  I'm just over 3 months post-op and have not gotten full funtion back but it's SLOOOOWLY coming back.  That's great progress!  Congratulations!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:06 am »
That is such great news Marci!

Prior to my surgery I had facial numbness, no sensation in my cornea, and the tip of my tongue was numb and I lost my gag reflex.
The surgeon said the tumour came nicely off of my 5th nerve and 3 weeks post op I had strange warm rushing sensations, pins and needles, tingling across my face and slowly feeling came back. the bridge of my nose is still numb but I have facial paralysis so not sure if the collapsed nasal passage has anything to do with it.

I knew that because the tumour was pressing on my trigeminal nerve that things might be different. I was told that sensation nerves are not as forgiving as movement nerves so didn't expect feeling to return so it has been a nice surprise. Sounds like things are waking up for you.

At first the warm rushes, pins and needles and tingling were constant and I thought is this the way it will be forever? It has calmed down somewhat but I welcome the tingling feeling because I know it is the 5th nerve repairing itself.
Come on wonderful body do your stuff - repair. Next is the 7th nerve. The law of attraction - I believe it will happen.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:28:41 am »
Marci:

You certainly should celebrate this 'small victory'.  It's important to your keeping a positive attitude toward your healing progression because it indicates full or near-full nerve function is returning and will very likely continue to return as the affected nerves heal.  That is a tremendous victory!  I'm not limber enough to do the victory dance justice but I know many others can and will.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:10:12 am »
Jim,
Dancing might not be dignified enough for an oracle but I appreciate the thought.  I am, however, doing the happy dance! Thanks all.  :D
Marci

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 10:22:47 am »
Marci,

Allow me to do the happy dance for you. Getting back the feeling in your lower lip is a big deal, however minimal the the change may seem. I was so happy when I was able to whistle again. Congratulations on your continued progress and I hope that this poitive moment will help counteract some of the downers.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 05:39:04 pm »
Marci-

Yahoo!!  I'd say that's cause for a big celebration!!  I still can't move my lower lip (but am developing a hankering for lip sandwiches...), so I am envious (and thrilled)! 

Debbi - keeping fingers crossed for more movement
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 07:23:07 pm »
Hi Debbie,
I read your blog - very interesting. I tried to read 49 pages about your update but 'whew' there was a lot so read your blog instead. How are you feeling? How is your progess with your face. I see you got some movement back fairly early that is so wonderful. I am still waiting but trying to be positive (10 weeks post op and nothing yet).
Hope you are taking care of yourself, relaxing and healing.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

MAlegant

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:28:26 am »
Syl,
Can't whistle yet so I know the facial weakness is still there.  But when I get my whistle back I will do the happy run/dance/whistle. Which should be pretty hilarious.  Even virtually.
M