Author Topic: how to deal with depression  (Read 1383 times)

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
how to deal with depression
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:55:23 pm »
Hello guys, i haven't been in the site, first of all because i have been in christian conventions lately and besides that doing nothing than watch movies and get depressed after star thinking about my whole tragedy in the hospital. I was wandering any good psycology or psychiatrist? I live in dallas an still have problems with my whole month and a half and having my head sow without anestesia. I dunno, can someone tell me about any support group or something, maybe i need it.
Carlita :)

Kaybo

Re: how to deal with depression
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:53:51 pm »
Carlita~
I don't live in the Dallas area, but I am in Texas!  I don't have any great words of wisdom, but I will keep you in my prayers.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to chat on the phone...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:33 pm »
Hello Carlita,

Try Yoga if you are able to do so.  Yes, meet understanding people and perhaps get into a support group.  It helps to talk.  I have two close friends that I made through this AN Forum.  We are all here for you and others.......

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:13 am »
Hi Carlita,
Have been dealing with the same.  I saw my therapist yesterday and she said it was more like post-traumatic stress disorder than depression, at least it was for me.  I didn't allow myself to get too emotional before surgery, so now I am dealing with the reality of what I went through.  You went through so much that now that you have time to think about it, you are processing it.  She suggested a few strategies and also I am on a low dose of anti-depressant.  So, if you have a therapist you might want to visit, if not, you may want to find one.  Check out my thread on depression--so many folks on the forum have been through it or are going through it. It will get better.

Email me if you want or send a PM; happy to talk to you.

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

fbarbera

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 08:47:30 am »
Carlita, The others have offered good advice.  See a therapist -- a low dose of antidepressants might help.  Talk to people.  Stay in touch with family and friends.  Stay in company when you can.  Find your inner strength.  You will be fine!  Francesco