Author Topic: questions on facial weakness and slurred speech  (Read 4703 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
questions on facial weakness and slurred speech
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:59:25 am »
So, here's two questions for y'all:
I have very slight facial weakness still; not really noticeable by anyone else but I can see it.  At the end of a very long day yesterday it was worse.  Do these things get worse as we get more fatigued?  Also, because of the numbness I have to work pretty hard to speak/enunciate so that I can be understood. Has anyone ever had OT or PT for this?  I imagine as feeling returns it will get better but my job requires that I talk a lot, some to large groups, and I'm a little worried about this. 
Thanks,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

calimama

Re: questions on facial weakness and slurred speech
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:32:52 am »
Hi Marci,

I had major numbness after surgery (along with paralysis). It (sensation and mobility) is much better 10 wee.ks out. I can now rub my lips together after applying chapstick (impossible in the first week!). I am sure that your speech will improve.

Good luck,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

MAlegant

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:07:08 am »
Thanks Trish. You mean I should be patient?  I'm trying, I really am....by the way, your 10 week update was really terrific.  I'm happy to see that you're doing so well and your positive attitude (and patience) are good motivation for me. (That baby of yours is adorable.)
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 07:11:35 am »
Marci,

I had major numbness after surgery - the entire right lower half of my face was very numb, including the right half of my tongue, my lips and my teeth. I had major problems with speech because of it. I had other problems, too, but they are either gone or are close to gone. The problems improved when the numbness improved. I got my first major improvement at 3 months. Before that, I was seriously worried if I am going to improve at all and was e-mailing everybody who was potentially in the same situation.

If your face moves, just like mine, then you don't need any facial exercises, such as given to you by PT. Speech clarity is addressed by speech therapy, so you might want to think about that. They are hit or miss, just like any therapist. I got a lot of rejections (just like surgery) when I actually found somebody who was willing to work with me. She told me of a woman whose face was completely numb after surgery and who initially could not be understood at all but in 2 months spoke beautifullly and clearly. So, you might want to keep it as a rough estimate of time needed to improve your speech. I said a rough estimate because you can be better or worse, because everybody is different and because you are starting at a different point. Good luck to you! Keep as posted as to your progress!  

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Patti

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:43:42 am »
marci-tirednesss definitely makes my speech worse and i can see more of a visible droop to my lip.  i think my speech gets worse though because my brain is overtaxed and i have trouble saying what i want to say.  that's a different issue i think.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:05:04 am »
Marci, I can't answer the questions for you (but glad others here can) but I'm sending the healing hugglez your way that this will pass soon.  Hang in there!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:27:56 am »
Marci:

Just an uneducated guess but I believe that fatigue/tiredness would affect your speech if you have some facial weakness to begin with as the muscles and nerves that govern speech are all interconnected, as you know.  I base this on the fact that I still have a slight dry eye as a reminder of my surgery but it's only noticeable to me when I'm tired (or exposed to wind). 

As a former broadcaster who underwent speech therapy to lose my Noo Yawk accent and learn how to get the most from my voice with breath control, speaking from the diaphragm, etc., I highly recommend it.  I took my training from a Columbia university (N.Y.) professor of speech who amazed me with what we can change about our speech with some training and practice.  If you feel you need it, I would advise seriously considering speech therapy.   Of course, speaking French will also act as a form of therapy.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »
Merci.  J'espere que ce devient meilleur bientot.  J'parlerai Francais. Ayez un bon week-end!
Marci

Jim Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 03:50:28 pm »
Marci:

I hope so, too. 

Uncommonly temperate weather here in New England should help make this a fine weekend.  I intend to make it so.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 04:43:12 pm »
hey marci, i don't have facial weakness but after my surgery, i found that i was not able to enunciate my words well, especially when i am talking fast. I found that it helps if I slow down to find my words and if I take my time to speak. It kinda focus my brain on my speech, hope this helps and i am interested to know what others have been doing to improve their enunciation?

chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 06:00:24 pm »
Hi Marci,

I also have facial paralysis and numbness which has affected my speech from time to time.  Before I had my surgery I read about someone else who would say the alphabet to help.  Being a teacher who teaches phonetics to other teachers I took that one step further and would say the sound of each letter of the alphabet.  I also read aloud (to my students at school).  I think all of the talking I do as a teacher gives me a lot of practice.  Now I rarely have any problems with my speech.  Seems to be the theme lately.  TIME heals most all things.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

lori67

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 08:26:41 pm »
My speech gets pretty slurred the more tired I get.  No one else seems to notice it - or at least they tell me they don't - but I can tell when it's not quite right.  Then I know it's either time to shut up or time to go to bed.   :D

Jim and Marci - I don't think speaking French would help with my enunciation.  I think my brain would just be further confused about what I wanted my mouth to do!  I'd probably wind up making up my own language!

And Jim, why would anyone want to lose their New York accent??

Lori - sticking to English with my NY/NJ/Southernese accent.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 09:14:52 pm »
Lori,
I grew up in Atlantic City, so I am partial to all things (and people) Jersey.
M

Jim Scott

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 03:42:33 pm »
And Jim, why would anyone want to lose their New York accent?

When they wanted (as I did) to become a radio announcer that can work anywhere in the country without sounding 'local'.  Back then, the standard for radio announcers was to have no 'regional' accent at all, be it Noo Yawk, 'southern' or even mid-western (more discernible than you might think).  Advertising agencies wouldn't use an announcer with any kind of accent, unless you were a celebrity.  That's pretty much gone by the wayside, but I have a friend (who lives in Beverly Hills, California and was my intern 30 years ago at a small AM radio station in Connecticut) who does all the voiceovers for the Fox network, the Oscars and other big TV shows as well as TV commercial voiceovers and he has absolutely no accent at all (never did) so the 'standard' has not totally evaporated. 

I know you had your tongue firmly lodged in your cheek with your question but I thought it deserved an explanation, all the same.

Actually, when I'm around my sister (who grew up with me on Long Island and lived in Manhattan for over 30 years) I slowly revert to my Noo Yawk accent, which amuses my wife to no end.  I also tend to be more assertive when I'm in New York.  Go figure.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:12:34 pm by Jim Scott »

MAlegant

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 03:15:46 pm »
Hi Eve,
Can you tell me if the "just coming out of novocaine" feeling drove you crazy?  It is making me insane.  Should I use warm compresses?  Cold compresses?  Should I drink heavily?  Help!
Marci