Author Topic: Going Ahead With Gamma Knife  (Read 6222 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Going Ahead With Gamma Knife
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:03 pm »
Hi to all of you out there who have been following my story about what to do with my AN.  After gathering all of the information about all of the treatments, I have decided to go ahead with GK.  I feel like I have made an informed decision, and I am 99.9% sure I will stick with my decision.  I like to leave that .1% so I don't feel trapped!  I feel confident with my team of doctors and the GK Center here in Denver, and I now know that I don't have to explain my decision to anyone except that it is my "gut" feeling to go ahead with GK.  All of you here who have said you will have a "gut" feeling are right.  It took awhile, but I finally got to the "gut".  My AN doc is in the process of getting things set up, and the big event will probably take place in mid-Sept.  Thanks to all of you for your support, the helpful information, and for listening to my ranting and raving while going through this decision making process.  This AN Board rocks!!!

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Kaybo

Re: Going Ahead With Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:52:43 pm »
Nancy~
I am so glad that you finally decided on a procedure - I know that you will feel so much better just having made a decisoin.  Make sure & put the date on the calendar when you get it!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:22:56 pm »
Nancy, that's huge. Congratulations!

You have made an informed decision, and that is the key thing. (Actually I think all the ranting and raving was kind of fun; it seems quieter now without it. ;) )

I am happy for you, and I think you have made a smart decision. I wish you the very best for your procedure and outcome.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:36:32 pm »
Thanks K and Steve,

I will certainly put my treatment date on the calendar.  I am ready to be a postie with a positive story.  Steve, I am glad you found my ranting and raving to be kind of fun.  My husband probably wouldn't agree!  Actually he has been very supportive, and I am thankful for his insight to ask all of the technical questions.  When we got the tour of the GK Center today, I think my husband was in "engineer heaven".  I think he wanted to take that GK machine apart--freaky!

Thanks all!

Nancy ;D ;D ;D

06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:05:53 pm »
Wonderful news, Nancy!!!

Congratulations!

IMO "gut" feelings are the best kind!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 06:49:23 am »
Nancy,

what the heck do I say? I know you have agonized over your decision making process... and ya know what? Hun, you are definately well-informed (I congratulate you for doing all of your research and Nan, it's paid off! :) )and I know that you have made the best decision for you and your situation! Congrats on getting that monkey off your back! Now, onward to wellness! I'm cheering you on in a BIG way and now onward and upward!!!!

Congrats on making your decision.... continued wellness wishes to you.... :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

fbarbera

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:00:37 am »
Congratulations Nancy!   We look forward to welcoming you on the other side of treatment soon.  Keep us posted.

Francesco

Nancy Drew

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 10:17:40 am »
Thanks everyone,

I am still going forward, but I must admit that I had dreams last night of being trapped in that machine.  The docs said they would make sure I am "happy" while I am in there so I hope they give me something good.  I would imagine that I will be in a safe place if there is a tornado!!!  Yes, the "gut" feeling is key, and I know it is going to be fine.  Thanks again for all of your support.

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

NL

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:38:17 pm »
Hi Nancy,

Congratulations on making your decision! I know it's been difficult getting to this point, but I want you to know I really appreciated having you to talk to when I was at a similar point in my journey. (I also started with that .1% of "wiggle room" to make me feel comfortable  - then my certainty soared to 110% in the weeks leading up to treatment!)

Now I'm waiting with the others to welcome you to the other side!

(And tell your hubby he can play with the GK machine AFTER your treatment is over. :))

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Anomar11

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 02:53:29 pm »
Congratulations Nancy,
I've been following your posts and know you struggled.  I am now there - on the fence - and don't know how to get off.  I keep waiting for my "gut" to kick in  :-\.  I may have to flip a coin.  Just kidding.  Anyway, all the best.  Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

Nancy Drew

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 07:30:20 pm »
From one Nancy to another, thanks for your support.  I hope to be at 100% by the time I'm on the GK bed.  If they give me something that will make me feel really "happy", I am sure I will be more than 100%.  Do you think it is a sign that one of my doctors is Dr. Nancy?  She has some weird last name so she said just call her Dr. Nancy.

Mona, yesterday when I saw the neurosurgeon for a consult, he actually said sometimes it comes down to flipping a coin. I think he was just kidding so don't go flipping yet! As I was on my way out of his examining room, I looked over my shoulder and said to him, "I'm gonna do it."  It seemed so simple to say it, and I think that was my "gut" speaking to me.  Hang in there.  Your body and your mind will get together and let you know what to do.  If you are really leaning one way in your heart but still have that "tugging" feeling, then maybe a one sided coin will work!!!

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 07:55:53 pm »
Nancy,

WAY TO GO!!!  You've done it - you decided and I know you feel better.  Now, get the date, put it on the calendar and go zap that thing! 

(Mona, I'm with you on the coin flip!  But, I'm getting there...)

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:38:25 pm »
Nancy Drew,

Here is some humor for you---I know Joe Cocker so, we can go visit him when you are all finished.  I just saw him a week ago in concert, up front.  You with GK and me CK, we could go together sometime.  My great aunt lived in CO., grandmother in Kansas, I had some land in Oklahoma and now live in CA.

You made the right decision now that you are certain and will be happy that the question of what to do is over.  I'm thrilled with the job I got at Stanford.  It does depend on the "team," though.  (getting the best)

If you ever want to gather in Crawford, CO. when Joe is around---let me know and I'll see if I can work something out.  I was involved in music so that helps with my AN recovery.  I have musical ways of escaping everything, only now with SSD.  I do watercolours and don't need my extra ear for that.

Keep busy and keep us informed how you like the GK experience.  It's an interesting journey, the radiation.

Good for you and it will all be over soon.  Do wonderful things for yourself right up to the very day.

Best wishes,

Palace
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:41:19 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Tumbleweed

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:49:53 pm »
Congratulations, Nancy. You have made a good, wise, sound decision. I think deciding on which treatment to have (and when) is the hardest part.

If you think you'll be nervous when the day arrives, consider getting your "happy drug" 1/2 hour before treatment, so that it's fully kicked in by the time they start the procedure. That really helped me when I got CK. Ask your doctor if you can arrive to your appointment 1/2 hour early and take your pill early.

You're on the right track. Before you know it, you'll be singing " 'bye bye tumor..."

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Kathleen5306

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »
Nancy

Congratulations on making the right decision for you!  I think that is by far the hardest part.  You have done so much research, investigated all your options and have made a great decision armed with all of that information.  Keep trusting that gut.  It is right.  We will have to get the Colorado contingency together when we have all recuperated fully!  I will be here to support you and cheer you on.

All the best,

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz