Author Topic: Giving Blood?  (Read 6720 times)

JulieE

Giving Blood?
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:54:27 am »
There is a need in my area, so I emailed my DR. and he said OK as long as blood Bank says ok. I called them and the said as long as Drs say it is ok...I thought I would come to the experienced source to ask if there are any negative repercussions to giving blood 5 mo. after surgery?  Like if some found it seriously taxes you, then I won't...
Jules

lori67

Re: Giving Blood?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:57:51 am »
Jules,

I haven't given blood since my surgery, but I asked my doctor about it and he said "go ahead!".  I also asked him about bone marrow donation, since I'm on the national registry for that and he didn't see any problem with that either.

I'm not sure how I'll react when I do give blood, but I plan to really load up on the fluids the day or 2 before and make sure I eat normal meals (which I don't always do.. :()

Let me know how it goes for you. 
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jan D

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:55:27 am »
I have given blood many times over the years, since my surgery, with no side effects.  The only thing that stops me now from giving blood is the number of medicines that I take for another ailment, which disqualifies me.

I would give if I could because my blood type is A-, which is more rare.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:38:09 pm »
Hi Jules,
  If you received any blood during your surgery, that may disqualify you with the blood bank from donating for some period of time.  I seem to remember this as a question on the form the last time I donated.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:45:25 pm »
Jules -

I'm a long-time blood donor (every 8 weeks for years and years) and I was told by the blood bank that I had to wait a period of time after my AN surgery before I could donate since they were opening up my head.  I can't remember what that time period was, but I'm fairly certain it was about 4 months.

When my waiting period was over I donated, and have donated several times since then, and I didn't have any negative effects.

Like, Lori, I'm on the bone marrow registry too and I was told that my AN surgery wouldn't preclude me from being a donor if I was needed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 07:23:35 am »
Well, I gave blood yesterday with no problems!  I kind of had this feeling brain surgery would preclude me, like somehow my blood would be tainted.  But I didn't receive a transfusion, and nowhere on the app was "Did you have brain surgery in the last 6 months?"!  It actually helped in the normalcy department, as I hadn't given since B4 Christmas last year, having "bigger fish to fry" as it were, after diagnosis Jan. 2nd.  Now I can get back to the 8 week schedule too!   
Wow - you two on the bone marrow registry!  How does one get on this list?  And isn't the procedure a bit more invasive?  Power to you brave girls!  And thanks to everyone who gives blood, and replied!  I did hydrate as recommended!
Jules

lori67

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:38:12 am »
That's great Jules!  Now I don't have to be nervous when I go to donate!

Getting on the bone marrow registry is quite easy - our YMCA had a drive a few years ago when they were looking for a donor for a little boy in town, so I went and all you had to do was fill out some paperwork and give them some mouth swabs.  Then they send you some stuff in the mail and a donor card.  Yes, the procedure to get the marrow out is a bit more invasive, but I figure the pain involved for me is much less than the pain the recipient has already gone through, so I think I can deal with it.  Besides, I've had 4 kids - I know what pain is!!   :o

While we're on the subject of donating things, last year when I was in my surgeons office, I noticed a brochure from the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary about temporal bone donation.  Apparently they are doing a research study on hearing related disorders, AN's included, and they need temporal bones of healthy people and those of us that have had hearing issues.  I signed up for it since I figured it may help someone down the road.  You have to fill out a medical history and do the mouth swab thing and send it in, and then after you're done using them (yes, after you've kicked the bucket), they come and get them and can pull your medical history and DNA and do the research.  I know it sounds kinda weird and morbid.  I figured since I probably won't have any money to leave behind, I should leave something else.  And I least I know my kids won't spend it foolishly!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »
Okay, this is a little freaky - I'm more like Lori than I originally thought  ;)

I too joined the bone marrow registry through a local drive; they were looking for donors for a child in my area and although I wasn't a match, I figure I may be a match for someone down the line.  Procedure was the same as Lori went through - some paperwork and some mouth swabs.

I also read about a temporal done donation program in my area and asked my neurotologist if having an AN would mean they wouldn't want me.  He said absolutely not.  I haven't signed up yet, but I definitely plan to.  So, thanks for the reminder, Lori.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 08:31:21 pm »
I found the link for the temporal bone donation online - thought I'd post it here for those who might be interested.

http://www.tbregistry.org/

I'm a little disappointed to see that the lab closet to me is inactive  :(  guess I'll have to see if they could ship my bones to Wisconsin.

Jan

lori67

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 08:48:05 am »
Well, Jan, it seems we were separated at birth.  Not fair that you got all the height!   :D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:10:51 am »
Well, Jan, it seems we were separated at birth.  Not fair that you got all the height!   :D

Yes, but it is totally fair that you got twice the number of children  :D

You also got the advantage of youth.  So tell me, just how old are "we" going to be this year?

I figure I'll come down to your age since I know you're younger than me  ;)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 09:27:45 am »
I guess I will have to try to keep up with my sisters and check into these things!!

I have tried to give blood twice and both times they have ask me if I have had brain surgery - I waited a while after the 1st time to see if they would change the questions.  I answer yes and then they ask me if I have had some sort of random, weird something (i can't even remember right now) put in, when I tell them NO - I think I would know if I had that - they tell me that I have to have proof from my doctor.  Since my doctor has moved, that is proving harder than expected.  The last time it was for a lady at my kids' school and I even called the old office in Houston where they were AWFUL to me on the phone (I guess because maybe I was a patient that of the Dr. that left & it was so long ago??).  The lady did not need the blood anymore - so many people gave - and I couldn't get the information from them fast enough anyway.  I need to follow up on that so I can get back on the schedule of giving.  I always did that but I guess life & 3 girlies got in the way - thanks for the reminder to get that taken care of!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:33:00 am »
K -

here in Illinois, I don't tell them I had brain surgery each time I donate since it's not on the screening questionnaire.

Our blood donation center has a website where you can email questions, so I sent one to them just prior to my AN surgery explaining what I was having done and when.  A nurse responded and told me how long I needed to wait until I could donate again.  So I simply waited until the designated date and picked up where I left off.

Maybe your blood center has something like that so you don't have to go through the whole explanation of your surgeries each time you want to donate.

Just a thought,

Sister Jan (sounds like a nun  :P )

lori67

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »
Usually they ask you if you've ever had a Dura Mater transplant, because if you have, you can't donate.  But since none of us should have had that, it shouldn't be an issue.

I always love the part where they ask you if you've ever been to certain foreign countries - I've never even heard of half of the ones they ask about!

Jan, I think.... um... it's going to be my 29th birthday this year.  I figure the only way anyone will know for sure (besides my Mom..) would be to cut me in half and count the rings.  I believe your birthday is rapidly approaching, isn't it?  And I'm not sure how fair it is that you have half as many kids!

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:12:27 pm »
Lori -

as I tell my children, life's not fair  :D  Besides I'm too old to deal with 4 children!

All the questions they ask at the blood bank make me feel like I live a truly boring life.

You know, have you been to country X in the past 5 years? what about country Y? country Z?  Have you had sex with anyone who's been incarcerated for over 72 hours in the past year?  Had sex with a male who's had sex with another male?  Had sex in exchange for money?  Used injectable drugs without a doctor's prescription?  etc, etc, etc,   :o  Then there's the tattoo/piercing question.  Oops, guess I'll have to defer donations for a while!

And in answer to your question, yes, I do have a birthday approaching - it's on the AN calendar - but I am trying desperately to ignore it  ::)

Bought my gift to myself just this past Thursday - a nice new pair of walking shoes - when I was younger it was always something pricey and frivilous like jewelry, a day at the spa, etc., now that I'm older and have children to support the gifts have become more practical  :P

Jan - thinking we should be 23 this year; not 29  ;)