Author Topic: ColoradoGal Surgery Update  (Read 4403 times)

Kathleen5306

ColoradoGal Surgery Update
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:23:06 am »
Everyone-

I just received an update on ColoradoGal and her surgery which was Thursday, August 28 in Phoenix.  According to her husband, it went as well as could be expected.  Surgery lasted about 5 hours.  They debulked the AN removing about 85-90% of the tumor.  She had great hearing in her left ear prior to surgery, and they left some of the tumor attached to the auditory nerve in an effort to save her hearing.  During the surgery, the test signals on her hearing nerve were all positive.  However, right now she cannot hear anything in her left ear and they are not sure if that is just due to brain swelling and a pinched nerve, or whether that will recover in time.  Her husband said she is still in a lot of pain and they are working on different meds to get that under control.  He reported that she is eating, SMILING, and has her sense of humor.  (All good things!)  She is still in ICU and will be moved to a regular room in time.  Then she will spend some time recovering in the home of a good friend in Phoenix, before returning to Colorado.  If I hear anything else, I will let all of you know.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: ColoradoGal Surgery Update
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:20 am »
Great news! Send her well wishes from me, Kathleen.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:42:24 pm »
Thanks Kathleen.  Glad to hear that the surgery went well.  Hoping the pain issue is resolved soone.  If you are in touch with her husband, tell her that we are thinking of her and wishing for her best.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:24:31 pm »
Hi Kathleen,
I know I am late coming to this thread, but I am glad to hear she is doing welll.  Do you know if she is home yet or are they keeping her over the long holiday weekend?

Sending my best wishes and healing thoughts,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:21:42 pm »
Kathleen -

thanks for the update; you know how we all worry.

Wendy -

you aren't that late in responding to this thread.  Although time flies, I think it's only 8/31.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 03:24:40 pm »
Hi Jan,
Greetings and salutations!  I didn't realize until just now that Kathleen didn't post ColoradoGal's update until Saturday and I knew her surgery was on Thursday so I responded quicker than I thought I did.  You're right -- all of us do worry about each other after surgery and she had been on my mind.  I've been so busy lately, plus I was away from Wednesday thru Saturday, I just assumed I was late. 

Wendy

ColoradoGal - Sorry for the hijack but I hope you are starting to feel at least a llittle better!

Sending healing vibes your way,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:42:13 am »
ColoradoGal you made it!  Congratulations and best wishes from sunny (but not for long) Ohio.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathleen5306

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 05:22:01 am »
ColoradoGal was released from the hospital on Monday.  Her husband's note said she was doing well...eating, in good spirits, and getting around some.  They are going to a friend's home in the area to further recover and relax.  I know her parents are with her children here in Colorado.  ColoradoGal had indicated the doctors would like her to stay in the Phoenix area for about 10 days after surgery before returning home.  So, I would expect she will be down in Arizona through this weekend.  I have not heard if she has regained any of the hearing in her left ear or not.  If I get any details, I will share with everyone.

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:56:25 am »
Hi ColoradoGal,,

GLad to hear you are out of the hospital and doing well.  I'm senidng healing through your way.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 06:44:10 am »
ColoradoGal,

Congratulations on your successful surgery.  I am sending well-wishes for more and more pain free days and continued healing to your hearing nerve.  Looking forward to your "first" post as a "postie"!  Rest up and take one day at a time, as time heals all.   
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

ColoradoGal

• Can I make you a margarita?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:55:53 am »
Hello from Phoenix - I survived! :)   Thanks, Kathleen for posting the updates.  What can I say.... my head hurts, but surgery is over!  Besides the headache, my head just feels like it is made of wet heavy clay.  At least the lopsidedness is not causing me to walk in circles :D

NO face problems, no eye problems, no swallowing problems, but I am without hearing on the left side.  Sounds coming in on the right are often sharp and annoying - as I imagine many of you know.  I am still praying the hearing will come back.

I've not been up for much walking yet due to the headache when vertical, but lounging and sleeping are nice - and definitely in my skill set.  ;)  Today's agenda includes my second shampoo!  WaHOO! 

Thanks for all the kind words of support from everyone.  It is so nice to know I am not alone.

2.5cm x 2.8cm debulked Aug 2008 at Barrows
retrosig, Spetzler & Weisskopf
post-op SSD, but all the facial stuff is working!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:42:45 pm »
Hey there!
You did more than survive!  Sounds like you are doing really well.  I understand the weird head feeling--to me it feels like the right side of my head belongs to someone else.    I'm happy for you and wish you a continued (good) recovery.
Best,
Marci 
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:10:39 pm »
Hi ColoradoGal,
It sounds like you are right on track.  Rest, relaxlet yourself be pampered,  if possible  and take your time getting better.   Most important of all, listen to your body and let it tell you what you're ready for.  It sounds like your recovery, thought just beginning is going great!!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:58:27 pm »
Ahhhh.... shampoo......   :)  Who ever thought it could seem like such a special treat to be able to wash your hair?

I hope you have lots of hot water so you can take a nice long shower!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 04:55:18 pm »
ColoradoGal:

Hello and welcome to Postie-Land

I'm just getting back to the forums after vacation and I'm so pleased to learn of your successful surgery.

I hope and will pray that your hearing returns and your recuperation is swift and complete.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.