Author Topic: for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)  (Read 13226 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 10:06:13 am »
In Ontario Canada and watching CNN all I can say is WOW!!!  I can't believe the asphalt has been ripped up and all the debris along the beach.  Stay safe everyone in the area!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 10:06:52 am »
Great to hear from you Brian & glad you are all safe...one down & one to go...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 10:16:16 am »
Everyone,

We're still alive and kicking!  The rain started about 1.  I went to bed and woke up to Jenni about 3 because we'd lost power and some pretty fiece winds.  Power just came back on (for now) a few minutes ago.  We'll see how long it lasts this time.  At least the kids are happier with power. ;) 

Has anyone heard from Brendalu?  She's down where she was getting the storm much longer before me.  The upside is that it will stop for her much sooner.  It's still raining and pretty fiece winds right now.  But, we're okay. 

Thanks for the concern!

Brian

Brian:

So glad to learn that you and yours are O.K.  Let's hope the worst is over, now. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 10:33:22 am »
No doubt Brenda and Pooter you both are busy assesing the damage done.  I pray you both are safe and I pray you stay safe during your "clean up" phase.  Wow, looks like there's going to be much to do for all involved.  I am sorry you and your fellow Texans are having to deal with this! 

Hey David, you mentioned you went through Andrew, me too.  Where bouts did you ride the storm out?  We faired very well being NW of Ft. Lauderdale, had about 85 knots steady for a few hours is all.  As for Wilma she kicked our butts with the eye wall passing right over our house!  Cat 2, 100+ knot winds sustained for hours.  Can't tell you how awful I felt during that storm all shuttered up and dark inside.  I was having much difficulty getting around and had to shine flashlight near my eyes to quell the nausea.  Candle light wasn't bright enough, and the drop in pressure didn't help any!  It was eery stepping outside during the passing of the "eye".  Looked at my neighbors hair blowing one way, then it started blowing the other way and we looked at one another saying, "Well time to get in, see ya."  That's when all hell broke loose, the other side of the eye is powerful! 

I know what Brenda and Pooter must be going through and the weeks afterwards.  Hang tough you guys.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 04:00:31 pm »
I tried going outside during the eye of Hugo but all the water had made my door swell shut! Plus it was 3 AM.  I ended up climing out of my house over the wall and through the roof the next day.  I did that for 3 days as I didn't want to break down my door and not be able to shut it again.  We had widespread looting and alot of violence--things were pretty scary till the Marines showed up! Good thing I had a Laborador retriever and a sharp cutlass! No one messes wiv this wench.

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »
Thinking good thoughts to all our Texas ANers and hoping you come through this vicious storm all in one piece!  My, that was a doozy!  Our neighbors went to Dallas to see their daughter on Thursday, just in time to get a bucket load of rain, I bet.

And for all the ANer's that Ike's remnants will visit soon, I hope it goes well for you also.   

What a mess.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 05:34:59 pm »
I can only imagine what all of you in Texas - and other areas - are going through  :(

Even here in the Chicago area we are feeling the effects from Ike.  I woke up this morning to a basement flooding with sewer water (eeewww  :P ) and it didn't stop coming in until it was 18 inches deep.  The water fell so fast here the storm sewers couldn't handle it and as a result neither could the sewers.  When it hit 18 inches it stopped and a few hours later it receded.  I am left with a basement full of sewage sludge and many damaged personal belongings.  Ironically since my house is for sale, I had packed all my personal letters and personal family photos in plastic bins and stored them in the basement thinking they would be safe.  But it was not to be.  Many of the bins tipped over and filled with water and the contents literally floated around my basement.  I spent a few hours crying today over things that are irreparably damaged that I'll never be able to replace. 

I know this in no way compares to what someone going through a major storm is coping with, but just this little taste of devastation left a permanent mark on my soul.  But I am thankful that my children and I still have a roof over our heads and that we are safe and dry, as I know many, many others are not.   And I am thankful that we only lost a portion of our cherished momentos, as I know others have lost everything.  I pray that those of you caught in this storm have the strength to get through it and I pray that you are safe.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 05:44:33 pm »
OMG!  Just looked at some pics of Ike on the web, and it looks horrible.  My heart goes out to all of you.  In time all of you TX people will come together and heal.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Kaybo

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
Jan~
I am so sorry!  That is awful!  Someone told me a long time ago to keep my wedding album up high as theirs had been ruined in a flood (not weather related) so I have always tried to keep that in mind, but you certainly were not anticipating this...I do feel for you...I understand how you are grateful you & yours are OK, but I would be devastated if I lost my pictures & precious momentos!

K   :(
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »
Jan,

I was so sorry to hear about your flooding and the resultant damage to family pictures, etc. There's a possibility that you may be able to salvage some of the items. My family home in New Orleans was in one of the neighborhoods that was destroyed by the breaching of the levees following Hurricane Katrina three years ago. The house and all its contents were submerged in nine feet of muddy water and sludge for three weeks. My Mother got out safely after the hurricane but we despaired of ever salvaging anything from the house. When residents were allowed back into New Orleans a couple of months after the storm we were able to retrieve her china and sterling silver and a few other "hard" goods, but no furniture, clothing, etc. One photograph album on the top shelf of a closet was okay, but all the other pictures and papers were in bad shape. We weren't able to save any letters, but my sister took many of the photographs and, with the help of a photography restorer, was able to get some very satisfactory results. I don't remember all the details, but it involved drying the pictures and scanning them. Hope you'll be able to save as much as you can.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kaybo

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 07:35:20 pm »
Jan~
I had wondered about that too but forgot to write it.  I had another friend that I taught with in Austin and her house flooded while they were on EXTENDED vacation!  It was AWFUL...but she said that many things that she thought HOPELESS were able to be restored.  Let's hope that can happen with your things!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 07:46:09 pm »
Brian,

Glad to hear you and the family are okay.  I'm guessing Brenda is still without power, but hopefully we'll get word from her soon.

I went through Hurricane Isabel in Virginia Beach (my first hurricane ever, since I'm a Yankee, you know, and we just get snow up there).  It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Ike, and I remember how scary it was to just hear that wind and not know what was going to happen next.  We only had minor damage, a few trees down and some lost siding and roof shingles and a garage door that didn't make out too well.  We did go without power for 11 days though, which was absolutely horrible!  If I never saw another peanut butter sandwich or can of veggies, it would have been too soon!  So, I'm glad you have your power back and I hope it stays that way.  It's hard to entertain kids without electricity when they can't even go play outside!

Jan, I was wondering if you were affected by any of the flooding up there.  I hope the damage is minimal.  It must be hard to lose those personal items, but you and your kids are okay and that's the most important thing.

Looks like someone really ticked off Mother Nature!  Hopefully, she's done now!

Stay safe everyone!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »
So sorry for all of you affected by Ike.  My husband's family went through Katrina--fairly lucky compared to most, though.  As for pictures, Jan, when my husband's childhood home burned down, rebuilt, then hit by  Hurricane Betsy and Camille, there were no pictures left.  Luckily my husband's mother had been sending pictures to the grandparents and other relatives over the years.  Some of those pictures have come back to my husband's family over the years.  Maybe you have family and friends who have pictures that you can get copies of.  Just a thought, but not all pictures can be replaced.  It is sad.  So sorry to hear of your loss.  Hopefully you will  have the water out of your basement soon.

Blessings to all,

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 03:25:28 pm »
Just a quick update.  Everyone's safe.  We have power, but those people in subdivisons on either side of us don't.  I saw a map of the Houston are and they said 90%+ are without power.  So, I count myself lucky in that regard.  We ventured out earlier to go to Church and the Church we go to got flooded, but they had a limited service when we went.  There are some businesses open where I am, but not many.  The last I heard, my youngest daughter's (and Jenni's) school disctrict is closed through Wednesday.  I haven't heard about my work, but last I heard there is still no power so likely not right now.  There are lots without power, ice, etc..  It's BAD around here, but luckily we're okay, no major damage, have power, but otherwise ok.

I hope Bredalu is doing ok.  She's much further south than I am and in the thick of much of this thing..

Talk soon... Thanks for everyone's comments and concerns..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 04:11:03 pm »
Brian~
So good to hear from you!!  Glad things are going well.  Our family is OK, just no power.  Would love to hear that Brenda is OK...

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!