Author Topic: Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf  (Read 8363 times)

cindyj

Re: Need help finding the next person for the Magic Scarf
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 02:52:57 pm »
Great news, Cathy.  So glad to hear it!  That scarf really does seem to be doing the trick!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 03:43:08 pm »
Cathy,
     What great news for you, were all real glad.  I had an MRI and CT when I came out of surgery, now I go back in Nov.....Now you can sleep away.....
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 06:14:58 am »
Cathy,
What fantastic news!!!  I am so happy for you that they were able to save your hearing!!!  Glad everything else is going well too.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 07:11:46 am »
Cheri -

great attitude about the hair.  As you say, what can you do? and at least they aren't shaving your entire head - something my children were very relieved to hear.  They just hate to have mom be an embarassment to them  :D

Cathy -

great news about your hearing  ;D  I envy you.  The BAHA is incredible, but it just doesn't compare to "real" hearing.  Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:45 am »
HMMM Maybe we should have several 'magic scarves' floating around. 
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 11:30:10 am »
JO -

I think the sombrero in that picture might work as well as a magic scarf!!  Ole!  :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 04:32:06 pm »
Maybe the scarf should go back to Wendy, to encourage her incision to heal fully.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 10:39:53 pm »
So, Lori, where is your surgery going to be?

In case anyone wants to send you some magic - or a sombrero  8)

Inquiring minds want to know,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 09:04:07 am »
Maybe if we wrap the scarf REALLY tight around Wendy's head, that might stop the drips!   :D

Jan, I'll be at St. Thomas Hospital in beautiful downtown Nashville.  I've never been to this hospital.  When I was at Baptist for my AN surgery, once I got moved into a regular room, I had a beautiful view of the skyline.  Maybe I can request a room with a view this time too.

How sad is it that I've only lived here for 2 years and I've already been to just about every hospital and doctor in town?  I was supposed to be spending these 3 years here going to the Grand Ole Opry and Dollywood!!!  So far, I've only been to the RC Cola and Moon Pie festival and the winery owned by Kix Brooks!  Something's wrong with this picture.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 09:45:12 am »

Good Day CWood,
     Take a deep breath and just think that you have made the biggest decision and know all the possible, I repeat possible side effects......I felt very ready the morning of my surgery that I had done all my research and I had made my decision, now it was time to move forward and leave everything in God's hand.  I was ready to accept anything that was going to happen.  You should be at peace and know that all will go well,  you have great doctors, great support......Hang in there and we're all here for you......
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 09:57:52 am »
Cheri,

It's hard to imagine what good can come out of this now, but I know you'll be able to look back on it later and see it clearly.  I think even those of us who have some residual issues to deal with can find something good that happened during this journey.  You will too.

Trust in your doctors.  They know what they're doing and you'll be in good hands.  Worrying won't change that.

Banana moon pies???  I've never had one of those!  Looks like I might have to give those a try!!

Lori

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 10:08:59 am »
Lori,

St. Thomas is an excellent hospital and I'm betting that you'll like it as well as Baptist; I think it's (St. Thomas) a bit smaller. Maybe they'll give you a choice of views -- Belle Meade, or Harding Rd. and the construction of a new Publix in the neighborhood. My mother went to nursing school at St. Thomas (when it was in downtown Nashville, near Baptist) and now lives about half a mile from there. Best wishes as you approach your surgery date!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 10:46:23 am »
Catherine,

That's good to know!  I've only seen it from the outside, but it looks newer than Baptist, so I'm guessing the inside is nice.

Seems like there is construction of a new "something or other" going on all over the place down here!!  It must have been completely empty for a long time!   :D

Lori

wendysig

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 06:27:12 am »
Marci,
Thanks  for the thought of sending me the Magic AN Scarf -- I had my turn with it and it was majic!  Although my leaking problem has been bothersome and scary a couple of times, I am bascially on the mend.

Sue, If you haven't already decided on someone, I think you should send the scarf to Cheri.  Lori seems okay and so am I.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
Cheri -

No problems here, don't worry!  We all just want to make sure the one who needs the most magic gets the magic scarf.  Those of us having minor procedures don't want to "waste' any of the magic!   :D

And congratulations to your medal winning daughter!  I can't imagine how proud you must be.  What sport/activity did she win it in?

Lori