Author Topic: Update on MaryBKAriz  (Read 3767 times)

sgerrard

Update on MaryBKAriz
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:24:54 pm »
Friday evening I had the pleasure of meeting Mary BK, of Arizona, along with "her rock" Weldon, her dear sweet mother, and their two large poodles. Mary et.al. have been on the road in a very nice RV, and wisely chose Cascade Locks, OR, as a place to stop. They invited me to dinner at the Skamania Lodge, a beautiful hotel with a spectacular view of the Columbia River Gorge - and an all you can eat seafood buffet on Fridays.

Mary seemed to me to be in great spirits and doing well. She uses a cane when walking - dubbed "McCain" after a grandchild's comment - because she still has some lingering balance and dizziness issues. But she doesn't let that stop her, or even slow her down, and was quite lively and energetic. The hope is that the issues will resolve, or at least improve, with time. I had a wonderful visit, and say thanks once more, Mary and Weldon, for your gracious hospitality. It was great to meet you.

I think they have about another week of touring to do, but then she should be back on the forum, perhaps posting a picture of us together. I thought some of you forumites might like to know that Mary is fine, and has not forgotten us.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

Re: Update on MaryBKAriz
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:46:32 pm »
Steve~
Thank you for updating - I have been wondering but not worried b/c I thought that she was going RVing.  How lucky is she to get to meet you in person??  Did you present her with a HAT???
 ???
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Mark

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:23:13 am »
Skamania lodge, no kidding. my wife and I were there for a couple of nights in July when we did a vacation in Oregon and Washington. Absolutely wonderful place to escape to.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 07:46:05 am »
Steve -

so glad you got to meet Mary and company; and it's good to hear she's doing well.

I look forward to the picture - are the poodles in it too?  ;)

My dentist was telling me about the Columbia River Gorge, sounds like a place I need to visit someday.  When I do, I'll take you to dinner - but I'll ask for my hat in return.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:29:39 am »
Thanks so much, Steve.  Been wondering how she is...glad her continued dizziness isn't keeping her from getting out (way out, apparently) and about.

Will be good to hear from her when she gets back!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:48:39 am »
Steve,

thank you! I've been wondering where she's been off to and it sounds like they are truly enjoying their wanderings of the west.  I hope you gave her a hug for me.... hoping to see/hear her back here soon. She's been sorely missed.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:45:48 am »
Hi everyone!

I am writing from Cascade Locks as we are leaving this BEAUTIFUL area to spend time down on the coast. We will be home around October 13- 15. Most of the time we have been out I have been without access to the internet! :o

I HAVE to say, I was really looking forward to meeting Steve and thanking him in person for all the inspiration and wise insightha has given me. What a gift! We were all glad to meet Steve and he and my Mom developed a bond. Steve, THANK you for driving all the way out here. We really enjoyed meeting and visiting.

I know this will not be a surprise to anyone, but Steve is a warm, intelligent, kind and even has a sense of humor strong ENOUGH to deal with our crazy family. He is a great person online, as we all know, but I now realize he is that in person and more. The dogs even were captivated.

I will post photos once I get them downloaded.

Heading out.....HUGS to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, again, Steve!

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 02:34:16 pm »
 Ahoy Mateys! Well, now, Moseyin' Mary and the Chapeau Chief havin' a parlay! (Sorry--International Talk Like a Pirate Weekend)
 Musta been some fun there! A little grog and an incredible view and some fine vittles! AAAAARRRRRR! Pictures must be posted and that's an order!!!!  Warms me up from me eyepatch right down to me peg leg just to know that 2 more AN survivors what met on this here cyberspace ship got to meet up face to face.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 09:17:25 pm »
Wow, Steve can even captivate dogs  8)

Nice to read your post, Mary. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:35:39 pm »
Hi all,

I miss everyone, so just saying "hi!". I will look forward to getting home soon and catching up with all. I am still a dizzy dame. I ordered some stylin' canes this week so I can at least feel canes are more fun!

Hope you are doing well, Steve! I will post photos when I get home. They turned out well, just need to downsize them and figure out how to post them.

Take care,

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:29:10 am »
Mary~
Good to hear from you - glad you vacation is going well!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 07:03:09 am »
So, where exactly do I need to travel to meet Steve?  And receive my long promised hat?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 09:27:43 am »
Hi Mary!!

Good to hear from you - look forward to having you back and seeng the photos of you guys!

Hope you've been enjoying your trip...despite the dizzinies, which I'm sorry to hear you are still plagued with...

Thanks for touching base,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 12:05:35 pm »
So, where exactly do I need to travel to meet Steve?  And receive my long promised hat?

Marci -

I wouldn't hold my breath on that whole promised hat thing.

Lori and I were among the first promised, and we're still waiting.

We're hoping Steve is going to bring entire cases of knit hats to the symposium in Chicago in August.

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:16:47 pm »
Hi Mary, and everyone,

I am back, I took a little break to help my parents during my dad's hip replacement. He is doing well. It was nice to be away from work for a week, but I did miss the forum. :)

So, it looks like I am going to have to decide what to do about this hat thing one of these days. I can't put it off forever. Any suggestions?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.