Author Topic: Tongue  (Read 3387 times)

AVRIL

Tongue
« on: January 12, 2006, 03:54:57 pm »
Hi All,

I am a new member to this site.  I had my AN removed on 1st November 2005 and was surprised post-op, to find that I still have a long way to go!

My principal problems are a dry eye, which I can see is common amongst a number of people, but I also have a very painful tongue, which I had before the operation but it has not improved at all.

Is anyone else suffering in this way with their tongue?

Thanks,

Avril

wadsy

Re: Tongue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 05:34:23 pm »
Hi Avril,

Yep long way to go but hang in there. The only problem with my tongue is numbness which my dr says will get better. No pain as such. Tongue was 'normal' prior to the op. I'm 9mths post op atm. The eye problems are are real pain and as you say, seem to be a common problem. My Dr 'conveniently' played down the side effects saying everything will be normal. Yeah right!!!!!!!! >:(
Best of luck and the eye will get better as time goes on.

Take care,

Wadsy

RadiantStar

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:39:24 pm »
Hi Avril

I had my surgery on the 28th of Nov. 2005, my tongue/mouth is how my AN was diagnosed.   The right half of my tongue and mouth had become numb, as well as the right side of my face.  My family doc ordered an MRI and that's how the AN was discovered.  Post surgery my mouth is no longer numb, but my tongue has an area that is numb and doesn't taste food/drink normally.  There isn't any pain though.  Depending on what I eat or drink seems to make it feel tingly or prickly though.

Kathleen

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 01:43:05 pm »
My tongue has been numb prior to my surgery and since my surgery 5/05. My dr. says it will remain that way permanently.  Food taste like cardboard, and i am always thirsty, I have drank more water in the last 8 months than in my entire life.  It sucks. >:(
But I do not have any pain in my tongue.  My boyfriend keeps wanting to put hot sauce on my "dead tongue" as he calls it to see what will happen. I say no way!!!!

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 11:20:08 am »
My surgery was in June 2004. Half of my tongue was completely numb. It has begun to come to life in the last 8 months. I still have a long way to go to being "normal" but keep the faith. You hopefully will notice changes as the time progresses.

I too drink a lot of water and use chapstick constantly.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

AVRIL

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 11:06:03 pm »
Hi Pembo
Thank you for your reply to me. Could you please tell me what 'chapstick' is as I have not heard of this before.
Many thanks, Avril.

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:51:37 pm »
Avril, Chaptick is lip balm. My lips are constantly dry since surgery.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

thecakes

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 06:15:05 pm »
  my tongue is numb and I am very dry 24-7.  If I take a drink of water it is satifiying for the time only when its in my mouth, then I'm dry again.  I never get used to it.  When I wake up its terrible.{bad for your love life too}  I'v had this since Oct. 02 .  I have no cavities yet, but I'm waiting for them.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 08:09:24 pm »
Try Biotene Toothpaste.  It has helped.