Author Topic: Forum Quirk?  (Read 3324 times)

Tamara

Forum Quirk?
« on: September 23, 2008, 05:53:11 am »
Good Morning Forumites,

I've been thinking about posting this for some time, but didn't know quite how to word it.  You know how when you log in, on the upper left you get some information about total logging time?  And then there are two selections - show unread posts since last visit, and show new replies to your posts?  The new replies one seems to work properly, but the unread posts does not.  Frequently, for days, I will get nothing to post when I click that, and then all of a sudden there will be 10-15 posts that appear, from various dates.  And the list still doesn't seem complete, so I miss posts.  Does anyone else have this occur?  Can I fix it?

Thanks!
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Forum Quirk?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:59:43 am »
Hi Tammy,

I see what you are talking about. I just checked my "unread" posts and it showed me just shy of 1 pg of posts unread since my last visit.  Let's see what others say and if the consensus shows many running into the same thing.... we can inquire to the server folks that maintain the site.

Suggestion... although timely... is to click on each subforum for now to make sure you don't miss anything of potential interest.

Folks, any of you also running into this?

thanks!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:27:29 am »
Tammy~
I have often wondered about this as I ONLY check those 2 areas (I lead a kind of busy life!).  Many times I will have missed a WHOLE thread b/c it doesn't show up in either of these places.  Also, Lori & I were talking yesterday that some of our PM's were not going thru.  I know that this happens to others b/c of so many questions I have seen & received of "Did you get my message?"

I just hate that we have them (even though they are convenient) if they do not function properly & people are missing out!  ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:00:18 am »
Yep, I've noticed that happening a few times, also.  I figured it was something I was doing wrong...glad to see it may not be my low-tech skills afterall...

cj
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:50:15 am »
I have found the "unread posts" and "new replies" links are not 100% reliable as well. Sometimes I miss posts; sometimes I see the same ones come up again. The "view most recent posts" link at the bottom of the main page does seem to work reliably; that's what I use to see if I missed anything. As a programmer, I can tell you that keeping track of who has seen what is a demanding task for forum software, so I can forgive it not working correctly all the time.

I was not aware of any PMs getting lost, though. That should definitely be fixed if it is happening; losing information is not acceptable for a software program to do.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:09:42 am »

I was not aware of any PMs getting lost, though. That should definitely be fixed if it is happening; losing information is not acceptable for a software program to do.

Steve

Yes, and I think the moderator's pay should be docked until this problem is fixed!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:33 pm »
I haven't had an issue with PMs, but I've always had the "unread posts" and "new replies" issue.  I thought I just didn't understand how they worked  ::)

As for docking the moderators' pay, I'm sorry joef, Jim, Steve, and Phyl, but I have to agree with Lori  ;)

BTW, I thought Tammy was referring to Lori and me when she mentioned forum "quirks"  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 07:01:37 am »
  My guess is that this would only work if you log out as you leave the site.  And then when you log in the next time you would see any "new" posts since your last login.  If you remain logged in when you leave, and you're still logged in when you come back to the forum, then the system may say that there have been no new posts.
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:25:34 pm »
Hmmm, except that even though I've never logged out, I have to log in at each visit.  I can't even find the place to log out if I wanted to.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that this happens to!

Happy BD tomorrow Jan!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 05:14:39 pm »

As for docking the moderators' pay, I'm sorry joef, Jim, Steve, and Phyl, but I have to agree with Lori  ;)

Jan

Did I land on Boardwalk again ?  >:(  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 05:21:06 pm »
joef -

you DID land on Boardwalk again - and it has about 6 hotels on it  :D

Have to add that I noticed something really cool on the forum today.  I happened to look at my profile information and since today's my birthday, my profile has a tiny icon of a slice of birthday cake with one candle.  Thankfully the ANA didn't feel compelled to put 47 candles on my slice of cake - it might have burned down the forum  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 05:54:08 pm »
joef -

you DID land on Boardwalk again - and it has about 6 hotels on it  :D

Have to add that I noticed something really cool on the forum today.  I happened to look at my profile information and since today's my birthday, my profile has a tiny icon of a slice of birthday cake with one candle.  Thankfully the ANA didn't feel compelled to put 47 candles on my slice of cake - it might have burned down the forum  :D

Jan

wow! I've never seen the bday slices on someone's bday! 

HAPPY BURPDAY, FIFTY-ISH OR SUMPTIN JAN!!!!!!! ;)

xoxoxo
 :-*  :-*  :-*

(hope you had a great day!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 05:55:39 pm »
At least I got a "get out of jail free" card! :D

Jan

Did I land on Boardwalk again ?  >:(  ;D

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 06:58:01 pm »
Happy birthday, Jan!  Mine was 9/20 and I had a blast out of town this past weekend!  I hope you do something fun for yours!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 08:57:03 pm »
I have some PMs that ran amuck....

I was PMed to ask Lori about doctors in Nashville and never heard back and just figured she had not seen
PM message or was busy ...

then she PMed asking me a question and I answered and didn't hear back from her... after reading this post
I went to PM box and there are no PM messages in my out box ... and I have sent some and received some or
I  imagined it all  :o

Actually relieved that others have had problems ...was thinking it was just me ...rather it be a glitch and not me
losing another marble
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery