Author Topic: Newbie from Argentina  (Read 5005 times)

Nestor

Newbie from Argentina
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:44:36 pm »
Hi,
First of all, sorry by my english, I´m from Argentina and i will be operated the next october 8th.
I have a 2.5 cm AN and y hope to preserve my facial nerve and not to have facial paralysis , I know that I will losse my left hearing (probabily 80%).
My greatest fear is to have a facial paralysis, I think I'm not ready for that.
I´m taking care about "dry eyes", but what can I do?
Néstor
Nestor in Buenos Aires, Argentina
41 years old
AN 2,5 cm Left side
Diagnosed 08/19/08
Dr.Jorge Salvat , Neurosurgeon
Dr. Vicente Diamante neurotologist

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Newbie from Argentina
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:01:52 am »
Hi, Nestor and welcome.  :)

Your English is fine - but I'm sorry you have a reason to be here (an Acoustic Neuroma diagnosis). 

AN surgery can be a challenge for the patient but please know that you'll get lots of support from the folks on these forums. 

Facial paralysis is a risk we have to take but many AN surgical patients did not have that complication.  I'm one of them. 

'Dry eye' is an issue that I'll let others more familiar with the problem, address.

Please tell us more about yourself, your AN 'story' and whatever you wish to share, as you have the time and of course, our good wishes and prayers will be with you on October 8th. 

I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to our 'AN Treatment Calendar' here:  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d08/10/2008

I also separated and moved your original message to a more appropriate forum - here - where it will receive more views.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:33:47 am »
Hola Nestor,

Bienvenidos!  Feliz usted esta aqui.

Do you have the option of radiation (Gamma Knife, CyberKnife, Proton Beam, etc) in your area as opposed to surgery?  That might be something for you to consider as an alternative to surgery.  Please do some research and see if that would be an option for you.  I am sorry I couldn't do the whole message in Spanish, but I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of your language. (I do have a desktop translator, however  :D)

Buena suerte a usted.

Sue
Vancouver, Washington USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nestor

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:08:34 pm »
Hi Sue,
I did not consider another option besides surgery, due to size. The surgeons told me thet it is in the size limit for gamma knife and my age (41 years) and my physical condition is the most convenient surgery.  In Argentina is most common the surgery than gamma knife or other type of treatment.
I really do not know if it is right  or not but I did not consider this option too. I trust the team of neurosurgeons and otosurgeons I are going to operate, I hope don't mistaken.
Thank for the psychological support that you and JIM are giving me.
Néstor
41 years old
AN 2,5 cm Left side
Diagnosed 08/19/08

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:15:51 pm »
Hola Nestor,

I hope you have a good team, also.  I'm sure they are well qualified.  I am wishing you well for your surgery and hope that your recovery will be fast and uneventful.  We like things to be boring around here.  No drama in the medical department is a good thing! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Vaya con Dios, amigo.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:12:10 pm »
Hi, Nestor -

I don't know how I missed this post a few days ago, but I'm sorry I'm just chiming in now.

Don't worry too much about your surgery - I know that's not an easy thing.  Put your faith in your doctors and know that you are in good hands.

I had surgery myself about 16 months ago and I know what you are going through.  Don't be fearful of facial paralysis, many AN patients have to deal with it and although it's not easy, you'll get through it.  Just take things as they come and deal with them when you have to.  You'll find that with any side-effects patience is very helpful since recovery from AN surgery often takes time.

I was left SSD (single-sided deaf) from my surgery and it's not the end of the world.  Lots of patients learn to adapt quite well and for those who don't there are devices available to help you - like the BAHA and the Transear.  I'm not sure if they are available in Argentina, but if the time comes when you think you might be interested, you can always investigate your options.

BTW, I think your English is lovely  :)

Hope to "see" you around here often.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:21:11 pm »
Hi Nestor,

Your doctors are right, 2.5 cm is often considered the cutoff for radiation. You trust your surgeons, which is a very important thing. Now you just have to sit back and let it all happen, and see how it turns out.

Best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Nestor

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:11 pm »
Hi,
It seems that my bad luck continues, because of a sore throat was suspended my surgery and I am awaiting a new date.
I hope that the new date will be as soon as possible, I wanna not wait long time because it is begin again and is difficult to handle anxiety and to reschedule everything again.
With respect to my fears, I feel much more calm and confident in a good result. The neurotologist has give me a lot of optimism and containment.
When I will have the new date for the surgery it will be published.
Greetings and thank you very much for listening, this helps me a lot
41 years old
AN 2,5 cm Left side
Diagnosed 08/19/08

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:59:42 pm »
Hi Nestor,

To quote that rock and roll guru, Tom Petty,  "the waiting is the hardest part."  I know that missing your first date had ti have been disappointing.  We all fear and dread the side effects of this surgery, but you will meet many people here who have avoided it or learned to not only manage it, but improve bit by bit.  Keep reading and gaining hope!

Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
Hola Nestor-

I am so sorry that your date got delayed - the waiting is so hard.  Be sure to let us know when you have a new date and in the meantime, sending prayers your way.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 06:44:36 pm »
Hi Nestor,
I thought I'd chime in too.  I'm sorry to hear your surgery has been delayed due  to  a sore throat.  Delays for any reason are something everyone hopes notto have  happen to them.  Hopefully you will be rescheduled soon and everything will go without further problems.  Waiting is the hard part.  Try to keep yourself occupied with things that distract you from the thought of your surgery and make sure you take lots of vitamin C for your health,  and the time will pass more quickly.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »
Nestor,

I am glad that you are dealing with your AN better now, but I, too, am sorry that your surgery was delayed.  Once a decision has been made, then it's always nice to get it all over with.  Do you know that saying we have in the US?  "God grant me patience, and I want it now!"  It's hard to wait.   

Hugs to you in Argentina!

Adios,

Sue in Vancouver, WA, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nestor

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 01:25:45 pm »
Good news,
Today I received the confirmation that the surgery was reschedulled for Oct 20th.
It makes me happy because I have only a few days waiting for, and really I will not have time to get anxious.
Best regards,
Néstor
41 years old
AN 2,5 cm Left side
Diagnosed 08/19/08

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 01:40:32 pm »
Good luck Nestor.  Post as soon as you can after surgery, or you can have someone post for you.  I understand Spanish (as many of us do) so if you post in your native language that's fine too.  I am sending thoughts and prayers your way.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 06:26:17 pm »
Nestor,
Great news that you already have your new date and that it is not far off!  You're right that the sooner you can have your surgery, the less you will worry about it.  You will probably find there is much to do between now and then and the day of your surgery will be here and over before you know it.  I wish you good luck and an eventful and speedy recovery.  You  will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Please be sure to post your new date on the AN callendar or lif you don't know how, any one of us would be happy to do it for you.

Best Wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!