Author Topic: How'd the BAHA implant surgery go, Tamara?  (Read 7157 times)

lori67

Re: How'd the BAHA implant surgery go, Tamara?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:00 am »
Tammy -

That would be quite a fashion statement!  And a good use for all those stray earrings missing the other one!  Lucky for you, there are plenty of holidays coming up that you can decorate for!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 08:01:01 pm »
But Debbie, the BAHA is so COOL 8)  I'm hoping to dangle charms off of it.... ;D

Tam

Sigh, a woman after my own heart...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 09:02:12 pm »
Lacey -

I'm with you - being SSD drove me crazy and I couldn't stand it.  I found it very depressing also, which led to my BAHA pursuit.

My doc said I could have the implant surgery "when my head was healed".  I don't know if there's a specific number of months that define that, but I think 3 or 4 is generally a good benchmark.  I tried the demo 4 months post op and would have had the implant that very same day if I could had.  The way it was I had the surgery about  5 1/2 months later since my insurance took their sweet time deciding if they'd cover it or not.  Thankfully they decided in my favor - and the rest, as they say, is history.

I haven't tried dangling any charms off of it, yet, though  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 10:51:27 pm »
I had my 5 month check up at the surgeon's office on Wed.  I was able to try out the BAHA for the first time!!! :o  It felt soooo good to be able to hear again out of my AN ear.  At first, when she talked, I couldn't tell any difference, but she had me plug my good ear....and WOW.....sound!!!!!!!
I know I've read about it since I came to this site....but nothing prepared me for that sound of her voice!!
I have medicare, so they normally approve it.  The doctor was going to send in the paperwork to make sure they would.
I'm thinking about it maybe in the spring....and the doctor said it may take awhile to hear from the ins. company.
I was kinda surprised how much the insurance costs for it.  Also, my doctor's office will charge $500 for all the visits I have for it, and it being cleaned.
She said I could do it in payments, with no interest, so that will really help.
Just wanted to share with everyone who has a BAHA.......I can see why everyone likes it so much.
Is there anyone on this site, who doesn't like it????
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 07:26:45 am »

I love my BAHA !

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 10:56:06 am »
Lacey -

glad you liked the demo - I was impressed by it also  ;D

Insurance does take a little while to approve the surgery and the device - in my case, mine took way too long - so start that process sooner rather than later.

I'm curious about the $500 doctor fee for visits and cleaning  ???  Haven't heard that one before - have any other BAHA users on the forum had to pay something like this?

The only payment I made to my doctor was for the actual surgery - since he obviously performed it.  My post op visits were free (I think I had two since one was to replace the bandage I accidentally pulled off) and for my 90 day appointment where I got my processor I had a $20 encounter fee that covered both the doc and the audiologist.

I've worn the processor since early June and have never had it "cleaned".  Didn't know such a thing was necessary.

You can take out an "insurance policy" from Cochlear, but I never did.  Figured I'd take my chances on my device needing repair or replacement and so far I'm not sorry as things have been just fine.   I think I have a whole year to decide though, so maybe around April or May I'll rethink my "strategy". 

Jan

BTW - Joef, your "racing stripes" always crack me up LOL  I never received any stickers with my device  :(  - I think Cochlear must have stopped doing that.
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 12:00:32 pm »
I never had to pay anything for visits or cleaning either.  That's odd.  If I need to see my audiologist, insurance covers the visit and if I need any adjustments or minor repairs, they do that for free - no appointment necessary either.

Any major repairs, the processor would have to be sent out, but the initial one year warranty covers that.  Cochlear has an extended insurance policy that you can purchase after that one year, but my audiologist doesn't think it's a very good policy so he recommended just adding the insurance coverage onto my homeowner's insurance policy as a rider.  He said it's cheaper and has broader coverage than what Cochlear offers.  That's what I plan on doing when my one year runs out next month.

I never got any racing stripes either!   >:(  Maybe Joef moves faster than us, Jan - like a speedy race car.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

texsooner

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 12:08:41 pm »
Joef, thanks for the photo. You don't have to, but could you show a photo of what your head looks like without the BAHA attached? Just curious. Tks.
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 01:03:24 pm »
Lacey,

I'll chime in with the others and say that I, also, was surprised at the "visits and cleaning" charge for your BAHA -- that seems very odd to me. I'm not even sure what a "cleaning" would entail. Do you recall which model of the BAHA you tried during your demo? I believed you mentioned in another post that you're in your early 60s -- you might want to investigate the Intenso model if your good ear isn't perfect, which tends to be a fact of life as one gets a little older. It's larger than the Divino (but equally unobstrusive when worn) and is more powerful. It also has a range of three settings, the second of which tends to block out some lower-range background noise in noisy situations. I'm finding that setting to be very helpful with holiday gatherings -- doesn't make things "perfect" but it helps a lot. I'm very happy with my BAHA -- I had my implant done at the same time as my AN surgery and have worn the processor since June; it's totally second nature, and I think of it as my "third contact lens" in terms of the daily routine. I hope that your plans progress smoothly!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 01:47:30 pm »
I forgot to mention in my first post that my doc's office actually has a loaner program for BAHA devices that are "on the fritz".

I was told that if I ever had to send my device in to Cochlear for repairs, the doc's office would lend me one until mine was fixed.

I can't recall if there is a charge for the loaner or not.

Jan - definitely not as "speedy" as Joef  :D

lacey7

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 06:27:02 pm »
That is sooo interesting that none of you had to pay the $500 to the audologist/doctor's office.  hmmmm........... :'(
I told my husband that, and he had me print out all of your responses.  We are DEFINITELY going to discuss that with them.  Who knows.....you might have saved us some money!!
Also, Jerseygirl 2, thanks for the tip on looking at the Intenso model.  They tried the Divino model on me.....and she could definitely tell that I was not 21!!!  ha.
The surgeon did tell me that when I have my MRI, and then my visit with him, they will also check my hearing on my good ear.  So, that will help me make the decision.
Wonder, if I got the Intenso model at first......if in, say 5 years, I need the other model, if I could get it without paying a fortune?  Or, maybe I could "accidentally" lose it??  ha.
They did give me a copy of the service agreement, and guess what?  Above the service plans is a statement in red print:  If you receive medicare benefits, a service agreement is not necessary!!!! ;D  YAHOO!!!  My husband did ask her that question, and she said NO.  I might not have gone back and read that, if you guys didn't put these ideas in my head.  Thank you so much.
Lori.....your idea of putting it on homeowners insurance might help alot of people out there, who didn't think of that!!  The way they push the insurance policy there....you would think she might get a kick-back on it????
Thanks, my friends.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 06:45:56 pm »
Lacey -

glad we could help  :)

The hearing test should shed some light on the device you need.  Since the hearing in my "good" ear is perfectly normal at this point in my life, I chose the Divino with the thought that as I age and my hearing possibly starts to decline I could always opt for an Intenso.  Thus making the "screw" in my head even more valuable to me  8)

Lori -

forgot to ask about the insurance rider.  Is this something that all insurance companies typically do? And does the rider cover repairs as well as replacement?  or just replacement?

Thanks,

Jan

lori67

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 06:54:26 pm »
Well, looks like we may have just saved you $500!  Guess who's buying the first round at the symposium!   ;)

I am still baffled by the whole "cleaning" thing though.  The only cleaning mine has needed in a year is just with the little toothbrush they give you - and honestly, I don't think that's even necessary.  It's not like we're out mud wrestling with our BAHA's on!  At least I'm not - I guess I shouldn't speak for all of you!

Good luck - I'd be interested to see the look on your audiologists face when you present her with this information!

Jan, all insurance companies should offer the rider for the BAHA.  They also cover hearing aids.  It's similar to adding on a rider for your engagement ring or your original Picasso (because you know, we ALL have one of those).  The coverage may vary depending on your policy so you'd have to check into it.  It may add on $10 or so to your monthly premium, but the way I see it, I don't see that money anyway, so what's the difference.  It should be available on your renter's policy too, for those of you who rent.  Since my one year is up next month, I'll be calling very soon to add the rider to my policy, so I'll let you know what I find out and how much it costs.  Oh, by the way, I also used to work in insurance for 10 years.  I'm a Jane of all trades.

Lori

Lori

lacey7

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 07:21:11 pm »
Lori,
How did you guess that I'm a professional mud-wrestler?  I'll be on TV next week, for my next match!!!  LOL. :o 
I will DEFINITELY have to buy you acouple of drinks!  It will be in June when I go see them again.  I'll let you know what she says!! 
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 10:35:30 am »
Lacey -

will you buy me a couple of drinks, also  ??? LOL

Thanks for the info on the insurance rider, Lori, I'll have to check it out.  I never knew such a thing existed - but then again I was too busy insuring my Picasso  ;D

As far as the cleaning Lacey mentioned, I use my Cochlear toothbrush for my abutment but I'm wondering if she didn't mean cleaning of the device.  Although I can't really imagine it needing cleaning.  Perhaps it gets dusty or something? 

Jan