Author Topic: My Surgery Date is set ...really scared  (Read 3495 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: My Surgery Date is set ...really scared
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:51 pm »
Hi

You can have, depending on the size of the AN, radiosurgery via Gamma Knife or Cyberknife or other names that all do basically the same thing, which is destroy the AN with radiation.  If an AN is closer to 3.0 cm or bigger, or the location is very near or on the brainstem, surgery is the preferred choice by most doctors.  Sometimes a large tumor will be "debulked", or whittled down in size via surgery and the remainder will get "nuked" to kill all of the cells.  So, no, not all surgeries include radiation in the treatment plan.  If the surgeons feel that they have gotten all of the cells, then there is no need for additional treatment.  This is why it's call microsurgery, as the surgeons use a microscope to make sure they get all the evil little cells!  Tough and tedious work, and my hat's off to the fine doctors who do this kind of surgery.

Hope my simple descriptions help in some way. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 10:25:30 pm »
Rhonda -

Sue's correct.  Not all AN surgeries require follow up with radiation.  My docs (neurotologist and neurosurgeon) were confident they removed my entire tumor, so in my case, radiation wasn't necessary.

Usually surgery followed by radiation is used for large sized ANs where the doctors surgically remove part of the tumor and then "kill" the rest with radiation.  Surgery followed by radiation is typically used when the docs think that surgery alone will compromise the facial nerve, so they opt to remove what they safely can and then radiated what they didn't remove.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 10:38:16 pm »
Rhonda:

Jan and Sue are correct.  Surgery + radiation is only used on large ANs and is certainly not mandatory.  My neurosurgeon opted to go this route for various reasons specific to my case.  I agreed.  The result was excellent so it turned out to be a good decision. However, each AN patient presents a different situation and one size does not fit all, as it were.  I'm sure your doctor decided on surgery, alone, in your best interests.  Besides, radiation is always an option after surgery, even if it isn't planned in advance, as mine was. 

I hope these messages both explain things as well as help to reassure you.  We try.  :)

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.