Author Topic: I'm back!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6820 times)

lori67

I'm back!!!!!!!!!
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:59 pm »
Hi everyone and let me start by saying THANK YOU so much for all the good wishes and prayers!  It feels so nice to know there are so many people pulling for you and I truly appreciate it!

I came home from the hospital on Saturday after my 7-12 jump surgery on Friday.  As Jan mentioned in one of her posts, I do feel like I've been beaten up and run over, but I guess that's to be expected.  I guess I just wasn't expecting much pain, since the AN surgery and the BAHA were completely pain free, but this is certainly manageable.

The doctor said it went as planned, he was able to make a smaller incision than planned and it doesn't look so bad at the moment.  I have some bruising on my neck and in front of my ear (and also the 9000 locations they tried to get an IV in me before the surgery!  Ouch!).  I just have a row of steri-strips and a little band aid from where the drain was.  The best news is that I'm allowed to wash my hair!  Ahhhh.... :)  I'm a little more swollen than I'd like, but I have such a hard time with the decodron they give you for swelling, that I have to be off that before I come home from the hospital, plus I'm allergic to aspirin so I can't take a lot of anti-imflammatories.  The first think I said this morning when looking in the mirror was "I look like John McCain!". Oh well, works for him I guess!  :D

Other than that, I've been feeling good, but sooooo unbelievably tired.  Chewing and swallowing are a task, but I'm figuring it out.  After nearly choking to death on chicken broth, I'm more careful and have figured out where the straw needs to be to avoid that!  And I found that if I break Reese's peanut butter cups into very small bites and shove them into the far back of the good side, I can actually taste and enjoy them!  After a few days of jello and mashed potatoes, I'm getting creative!  I don't think it will take too long to get the hang of things again.  Then I can start the waiting game all over again.  The doctor said it would probably be 6 months before I see any movement and then as soon as it starts, we start doing lots of PT and biofeedback to get things working.

On the bright side, I thought that once the facial nerve was cut, it would look even worse and droopier until things started working again, but at rest, I really don't look that bad,  Which leads me to believe that I really looked like crap before!   :o

Thanks again to my AN family!  I know if it wasn't for all of you, I'd be ready to throw in the towel by now!

I hope everyone else's surgeries and procedures went well too, and plan on trying to catch up with what I missed one of these days.

Lori - looking forward to some zaps, zings, tingles... whatever....
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

Re: I'm back!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:33:22 pm »
Finally!!! I am glad you are back!!! If you plan to run for President, you can count on my vote. ;D

I hope you'll get movement soon! How long was the surgery? Is it a completely different scar form the original one?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:03:10 pm »
Great news,

welcome back

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:37:19 pm »
Lori,

Welcome home! Sounds as though things went really well, and I hope you continue to feel lots better each day. We've missed your humor on the forum and hope that you'll get back in the saddle soon! While you're still looking like McCain, maybe you can make a quick trip to Washington and help resolve the financial crisis ... or at least serve as his stand-in at the Presidential Campaign debate in Nashville.

JerseyGirl2
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:53:30 pm »
Yea, Lori.  Great news.  But I'm still wondering cuz you didn't say --- can you jump yet ;)?

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »
Lori,

So good to have you back.  Speedy recovery with lots of zaps and zingers!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »
Hey Lori, 

So good to hear from you...and cheery as ever!  Take it easy and we'll be crossing fingers and toes for the sensations to begin.  Reese's cups - always good for what ails us!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:05 pm »
welcome back...glad things are going well
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

OMG16

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:33 pm »
Lori I'm sorry I was not here for you before your surgery, but I am here now.  So here are your forehead kisses.  :-*  :-*  :-*   Lori for President 2011 now lets see who can we choose for your running mate there are so many good choices.  Hmmmmmm  ???
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:40 pm »
Yea!!! Lori!!!  You're back!!!  ;D  Glad you didn't throw in the towel  :D

I thought I was the obvious choice for VP, but apparently not  ???  Oh well, I'm not sure playing second banana is right for me anyway  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OMG16

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:35:07 pm »
Jan of course you are in the running!  Your right you are a born leader.  I think I might want out of this before it gets ugly.  ;)
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »
OMG, things rarely get "ugly" here on the forum.  Sometimes we get a little out of hand and Phyl has to rope us in, but . . .

Good to see you back; it's been a long time  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:09:58 pm »
HUGS Lori! :)

Glad you are back.

This whole AN journey is quite the trip- isn't it?. Good thing we are not alone.

Rooting for you! :)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:42:05 pm »
Hi, Lori:

I'm getting in here at the end of the line but welcome back and  know that our hopes and prayers are with you as you begin the 'waiting game'. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NL

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 01:03:43 am »
Hi Lori,

So glad to hear that you're home and everything went well with your surgery! Wishing you a speedy and restful recovery!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan