Author Topic: Guess what !  (Read 2047 times)

Mathilda

Guess what !
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:19:17 pm »
Guess what!

Today I saw my ENT surgeon here in the Netherlands. He called me in because the skull base team had discussed my last MRI (after7 weeks !) and had come to the conclusion that it would probably be best to start treatment since the AN had grown with 4 mm in the past year. And since I still have my hearing in tact I would be a good candidate for Middle Fossa.
I told him:  GUESS WHAT !   I am having surgery next week !!!   ........ Huh???? was the reply ......and where if I may ask?..........
In the House Ear Clinic in LA ........(Sigh) Well, in that case I can telll you that I'm very happy that you've come to that decision. Really, from the bottom of my heart, I'm glad that that is the way you're going !!!

Now apparently my ENT surgeon here had been trained in LA and knows dr. Slattery and dr. Schwartz personally.
Isn't that cool ? At least if I now need his cooperation he'll be more likely to help me out since he agrees with my decision.
Over here I probably would have had to wait at least another 4 to 6 months. So I'm very thankful that exactly a week from now the little bugger will be OUT !

Thanks everyone for your input, help and cheery disposition. We are leaving for the States tomorrow and it will be a while before I'll post again. In the meantime: all the best to you all!

Mathilda
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Guess what !
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »
Good news Mathilda!  Sounds like you're a lucky girl here with your doctor having trained at House and familiar with these tumors.  I've mentioned before it's always a good idea to have a doctor familiar with VSs in your home town as post op problems will be solved easier. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »
Well, it is a small world, isn't it?  It must make you feel a whole lot better to hear your doctor at home speak highly of your choice of surgeon.

Have a safe trip!  I hope you'll get to take in some sights while you're here! Other than the hospital, that is!

Can't wait to hear from you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:37:55 pm »
Hi there Matilda:  I wish you well  on your journey.     If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to give House Ear Clinic your ENT in the Netherlands'  fax #, address, &/or e-mail to send the:  surgery report & all doctors' notes  ( you'll probably continue follow up with your ENT ).

Always good thoughts,   Nancy

ps:  keep a peaceful heart my friend
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:08:58 pm »
I think this comes under, "It was meant to be..."!   

Best wishes to you as you head into surgery and I know you will be very happy when this is all over with.

Thinking of you,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30:26 pm »
Great news, Mathilda.  I didn't realize that Dr Slatery was going to be your surgeon -- he was mine as well.  He's a good guy.  I don't think I'll be able to make it down to see you this week because I'm in the middle of a move.  But if you can stand some post-surgery visitors, I am sure Lainie maybe Nancy, and I can get over to see you.  Best wishes.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments