Author Topic: New member from Denmark - Back from surgery  (Read 3421 times)

kenneth_k

New member from Denmark - Back from surgery
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:51:25 am »
Hello everyone.

I'm back :) from surgery (translab) after 10 wonderful days in hospital. The surgery went fine, complete tumor removal. No facial issues immediately after the surgery, but some facial palsy has occured now (pirate smile and difficulty closing the eye). The doctors are certain, that it will be ok again within 6 months, because they didn't damage the nerve. The balance is slowly addapting and will also be ok again. The hearing is gone, but it isn't that big a problem for me.

The doctors told me, it would be normal to feel depressed after some time. But I am very relieved, that I have been cured and that things slowly are improving. Before the surgery, I felt sick and like things were slowly getting worse. There is a big diffence in perspective now. Besides, if I feel blue one day, I know who to contact. YOU GUYS ;D

Thank you very much for your support so far.

Kenneth

andrea in slc

Re: New member from Denmark - Back from surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:22 am »
Congrats Kenneth!  Whoo-hooo, you are now a postie!  I'm so glad to hear things went well and that the doctors feel the facial issues will resolve in the not too distant future. I bet it is a huge relief to you to be done and have the darn thing gone! Congratulations again!  ;D ;D ;D

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:08:05 am »
Kenneth~
Glad to hear that you are now home and that things went well!  YEAH for you!
Continued healing!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:25:20 am »
kennth,
good to here.  the reseach and prep for surgery were the worst time for me, because of the unkowns.  after surgery I knew where i was and what I had to do.
GOOD LUCK with recovery.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:34:16 am »
Hello Kenneth-

So glad to hear that your surgery went well!  And that they got the whole tumor!!  As for the SSD, it is not so bad.  The facial paralysis is unfortunate, but it does get better and you will probably find that it isn't that bad either.  I will hope that your facial nerve heals quickly.  I am at almost six months and have quite a bit of movement back, although still no blink and my lower lip still doesn't move.  However, it is so much better than when I first got out of surgery!

I know that some people experience post surgical depression, but I really didn't.  I think that we all process changes in our environment differently.  If you are lucky enough to have a good support system, I think that really helps (it certainly helped me!)  I also really beleive that what is done is done - you can't change history, but you can control how you approach the future. 

I wish you a speedy recovery, Kenneth.  We're here whenever you need us!

Debbi in New Jersey
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:20:56 am »
Kenneth -

thanks so much for posting  ;D  We've been wondering how things turned out for you.  Sounds good so far; I like your positive attitude.

The facial and the eye issues should improve in time - your balance, too - so have patience. 

Your doc is right about the depression so watch out for it.  It kind of snuck up on me and I didn't realize it until much later when I was past it.

Keep the faith and stay in touch  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:38:29 am »
Yeah Kenneth! Glad to hear you are doing well. Take care of the eye - that was the biggest pain for me. Check out my post Eyewear and see one of the ways I have coped. Rest and take care.
Michelle  ;D
Sending healing vibes your way.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

satman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:13:27 am »
congrats kenneth sounds as everything went great,you say the eye wont close but can you make it blink? it's very important to keep that eye lubed,treat it like a master card "dont leave home without it" the lube that is.
feel free to vent when and if you feel a little depressed,it will take some time for that to present itself,right now your probably thankful as you well should be. next step ,you might want to check into the eye weights.
keep that pos attitude,you are doing great.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:33:31 pm »
Kenneth,
Welcome back postie and congratulations on your successful surgery.  ;D Being SSD is not fun, but many people have no problem with it and if you decide to do something about it, either TransEar (transear.com) or BAHA (entific.com) are both great options. I'm sure you'll handle your facial paralysis with grace as so many here have done and continue to do.   I wish you a swift and uneventful recovery.  Remember to take it easy and listen to what your body tells you and you'll be fine.

Wishing you only good things,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:22 pm »
Great news, Kenneth!  Congratulations on being a postie.  And as others have said, the facial movement and the balance do come back -- only on their own schedule.  It just takes a little patience.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:21 pm »
A little patience?  :o I am a pro in the patience department NOW. You are so right David the nerve regenerates on its own schedule.
One day at a time gets us through this journey.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

NL

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 08:12:47 pm »
Kenneth,

I'm so happy to hear that your surgery went well and you're feeling up to posting! You have a great positive attitude, and as you've already noticed, things will continue to improve every day!

Congratulations!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:39:27 pm »
Hi Kenneth,

Glad to hear it went okay. Hope you are able to take it easy, being in the military and all. One day at a time, you will get there...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 09:05:32 pm »
So happy for you, Kenneth!  Don't forget where we are and come and visit often.  You never know, maybe we'll organize a lunch in Denmark!! 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 09:13:13 am »
Kenneth,

Thanks for your update and I am very glad all is well for you.  Yes, give your facial nerve time to heal, nerves are slow healers. 

May you have a WONDERFUL life!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear