Author Topic: New member from Denmark - Back from surgery  (Read 3420 times)

calimama

Re: New member from Denmark - Back from surgery
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 10:11:36 am »
Hi Ken,

Welcome to "other side" and the rest of your life.

I agree with Debbi (i think it was Debbi) that depression is not a given, even with paralysis. Of course there were some frustrating days (mine were centered around my double vision, which at 4+ months is about 90% fixed, YAY!!!!), but that is to be expected and like we don't all get frustrated with life generally from time to time.

The SSD thing is not great, but like most things in life, you will adapt. You will probably learn to enjoy quieter places more, and noisy restaurants, parties, etc. less.

After spending pretty much the first week laying down (in hospital), i found the best thing was getting home and moving around. I didn't have much in the way of balance issues, nothing a wall or two couldn't help. And i would say by 3 months i was probably about 95% (all this AN stuff is making me a little tired of stats....anyway). Even with one eye covered (due to DV) my balance was/is great. So don't assume that anything will be a problem for long.

I hope the pararlysis fixes quick for you, it is a pain, especially the eye, and i really miss my smile, but patience, patience. And even this gets easy with time. I felt myself melting down a bit around day 25 post-surgery (frustrated with lack of sight, hearing, not feeling 100%, disruption to routine and life) but i sort of bottomed out there and really do feel like my old self again (even if not looking like it yet).

Take it easy, take care, and keep smiling no matter what.

Trish in Toronto, Canada
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.