Author Topic: I tped my whole surgery and then is disappeared .... so for now some questions..  (Read 5910 times)

Denisex2boys

- I do have perserved facial - considered level II on House-Brackman - numbness, dry eye, I am using drops during the day and lacrilube (which I hate) at night.  But .... I have severe dry mouth on AN side - tongue was actually red and raw with some blood, my face feels bruised and like 'stone' - is this normal?

- Severe headaches still - nothing like when I awoke from surgery - but I am trying to wean off T-3's

- I had a lateral sub-opptical so my neck muscles needed to be cut - I am working on the neck exercises to regain mobility.

- have not gone to the bathroom yet - am kind of nervous to take laxatives.

- balance is AWESOME - when they went in my balance nerve was completely severed already - my right side has been compensating for this for quite some time - so I am very ,ucky in that respect.

- still some double vision ......

- for you gals ........ I got my period (which is quite heavy) the day I was released - I had just had it 1.5 weeks ago - they said this was not abnormal for a major surgery.

Ok - off to find my original post about the DAY ......
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Denise,

Yes, all of what you describe sounds pretty normal for the sub-occipital approach.  Sorry about the headaches and I do hope they resolve quickly for you.  You are just out of surgery, give yourself lots more time for those things to subside.  As for the double vision, do keep your doctor in the loop on this if it doesn't correct itself. 

As soon as my staples were removed I did cross-fiber frictioning on the incision and massaged all around the incision too.  Cross-fiber friction massage helps to keep scar tissue from forming.  If not sure how to do this just ask otherwise I won't take up space here. 

Welcome to your "new normal"? 

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Kaybo

Denise~
So great to hear from you!  Sounds like everything is pretty on track.  I, too, had a period in the hospital (probably about the same timing since I stayed longer) - I told EVERYONE (even my whole Bible class) that called that I had started my "menstrual cycle"!!  I am surprised that they let you leave the hospital w/out going to the bathroom - they won't do that here.  It is OK to take a softener - trust me, you don't want it to go any longer.  Here, after you have baby they give you that little red gel pill that is a stool softener.  I just looked b/c I got some after my T3 surgery, but mine just says "stool softener" - I think the actually brand name starts with a "C" (Colice, maybe???).  Good luck - off to get girlies from school and to gymnastics!!

Hugs.
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Denise!!!!!!!!  welcome you postie!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear this update and that are you doing ok! Please thank your dad for his updates on you... and hoping my "rah-rah, shishcoomba" helped the cause.

BTW... after my CK... I had the same *coff* issue as you... and didn't want head pressure.  Colace works... more natural way, as noted by my PCP (from China and into natural remedies)... 8 oz. prune juice with a tablespoon of honey, heated in micro for approx 35 sec.   Trust me, no head pressure! :D

Congrats Denise!  Well done!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Hi, Denise:

Congratulations on your successful surgery and welcome to 'Postie-Land'.  :)  Sorry you 'lost' your original post.  It happens to everyone at some point.

Your issues are fairly familiar.  Headaches are common with about 20% of AN surgical patients and I believe that the retrosigmoid approach has a slightly higher probability for headaches.  I had retro and did not experience any headaches, but I seem to be outside the norm in many respects.  I did experience some mild (but annoying - I like to read) double vision.  Fortunately, it resolved within a few days.  Constipation is also common following AN surgery but a mild laxative and stool softener should remedy the problem, preferably before you're discharged.  They worked for me.  I'll withhold comment on the menstrual cycle issue, for obvious reasons.  Good to learn that your balance is 'awesome'.  That's relatively rare and yes, you are fortunate.  I'm happy for you, Denise and hope your post-op issues will resolve themselves quickly and that you'll be back to 'life in the fast lane' very soon.

Jim (being droll)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

Ok, since Jim is steering clear of the girly issues, I'll just add that the steroids they give you after surgery can actually bring on your period.  Very common.  That doesn't make it any less annoying, but it is normal.

I'd also suggest going with the Colace (there are store brands out there that are cheaper).  It's very gentle but does the trick.  Much better than going too long without any movement down there.  Sorry, I'm trying to phrase that tactfully.

Sounds like everything is par for the AN course.  I hope the headaches go away quickly!!

We all knew you'd get through it okay!  Hope tomorrow is even better! 

Oh, and Boppie had mentioned in one of her posts about Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash for dry mouth.  Works great!  If the regular supermarket doesn't have it, I'd imagine the drug store would.  Just be careful swishing the mouthwash if you have any weakness around your lips - gets messy!   :-\

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tamara

Yay Denise!!

Welcome to Postie-Land.  As everyone has mentioned, the experiences you've had are normal, even if annoying.  Hope to hear your progress as the next days and weeks arrive.
  Lori - what is there about that mouthwash that makes it good for dry mouth???  I'll probably look for it tomorrow, but I'm just curious..

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

vjgfamily

Hi.  I had acoustic neuroma surgery 20 years ago (in it's infancy), and I was fortunate to have the best doctors in this field.  I have no hearing in the right ear (of course), but that's the extent of what I have to deal with.

I had double-vision really bad for about a month after surgery, and then it gradually got better.  I still have double-vision in the upper-right quadron, but you get used to it.

Let me know if you want to talk.

Thanks,
Verl

Hi Verl, sorry no email addresses in posts. Members can use private messages to communicate. Welcome! Steve
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:10:44 pm by sgerrard »
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

sgerrard

Denise, Denise, Denise,

Welcome back. At last you are a postie. Rest, sleep, take naps, rest some more. It is done!

I hope you feel better and better every hour, every day, every week. Best wishes for a great recovery. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Hi, Denise  :)

Glad to see you're feeling up to posting again; although your dad was nice enough to update us earlier this week.  Many thanks to him.

What you are going through sounds about normal. 

As K said, I'm surprised they released you from the hospital before you "went" since that isn't common practice here in the U.S.  Like the others, I strongly suggest using Colace or something similar - it helps a lot.  My doc pretty much made it mandatory for a few weeks post op because he doesn't want patients straining - if you know what I mean.  I guess it has adverse effects on your head or something.

Tammy -

there is a whole entire line of Biotene products - mouthwash, toothpaste, gel you put on your tongue, etc.  I found them on drugstore.com, but others have mentioned finding them at just about any drugstore.  They work very well; give them a try.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

satman

welcome to the other side,you are now a post toastie,congrats !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Hi Denise,

So glad you are home and the surgery is now behind you.  Rest, take it slow and I hope the headaches will dissipate.  If they do not, make sure you get back to the Dr for some good meds. 

Anne Marie oxox
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

Denise,
Welcome back postie!! Glad to hear things went well.  I think it's common tohave problems with constipation because of the pain meds.  If you try the coalace and it doesn't work add Phillips Milk of Magnesiia and warm prune jiuce.  That did the trick for me..  I have to agree with Lori, I;m surprised they let you go home that way -- that would never happen here.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Cheryl R

The Biotene mouth spray for dry mouth does not last long at all.     I got a bottle at Walmart and am disappointed in it.          So that is one product it might be good to avoid.               I still occ have some dry mouth.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

Tammy - good question.   ???  The bottle says something about "enzymes", "Biofilm", "plaque".  I may not want to know what's actually in the stuff, but I like it.  I guess it doesn't so much help to make your mouth less dry, but more to avoid the damage that can occur to your teeth from the dryness.  I've had so many dental issues since my surgery, that I'll try just about anything at this point.  I've never tried the mouth spray that Cheryl mentioned, but I think I won't bother.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.