Author Topic: too wierd to accept  (Read 3807 times)

Sam Rush

too wierd to accept
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:50:14 pm »
I am now almost 4 years post successful trans-lab surgery.  My 13 yr old arthritic dog recently started walking funny, falling to her left side and not hearing well.   Genius that I am, I assumed it was a foxtail in her ear, and took her to the vet.  The vet did a complete evaluation including ear exam and hearing testing, then comes out and tells me " we think it's a rare brain tumor called an acoustic neuroma."   After they said that, it seemed obvious to me that's what it could be.  They mentioned an MRI to confirm the diagnosis at the vet teaching hospital in Davis, Calif.  However, because of her age and her arthritis, I don't want to put her through all that. She doesn't seem to be in pain, and eats OK, so I'll probably just watch her for a while.  The whole thing is too wierd to think about. I may take her for the MRI, haven't decided yet.  If she was younger, I definately would do the MRI to confirm the diagnosis, then consider  radiation. I can't imagine any vet having enough experience in this to do surgery.  Any thoughts??  Anyone have a similar experience?? I doubt it.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Kaybo

Re: too wierd to accept
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:55:25 pm »
Wow Sam!  That is pretty freaky!!  Who would have thought?  If it is a 1 in 100,000 ratio for humans, sonder what it is for dogs?????

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

vjgfamily

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:53 pm »
Wow...that is weird (and interesting).  I guess animals can get it, too!  

Since it's not just a people thing, it makes me think that AN is a product of our environment....something in our air?  water?  We'll probably never know.

Fun Fact:  Nearly 50 percent of people that die of natural causes have an acoustic neuroma in some form or stage.  (a neuro-surgeon told me this)

Thanks,
Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:02 pm »
What should I do, if anything??
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

lori67

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 01:13:21 pm »
Sam,

That is weird.  I'm not sure what I'd do in that case - it's so hard when man's best friend gets to that point in life.  I guess I'd do whatever made her the most comfortable so she can enjoy her golden years.  I can certainly understand not wanting to put her through anything traumatic.  It's a tough situation to be in. but I know you'll be able to decide what's best for her.

And another fun "fact" - I think we've all been told that AN's are a 1 - 100,000 occurence, but one of the doctors that works with my surgeon said he has read that's it's more like 1 - 50,000.  Don't know if it's a fact or not, but I thought it was interesting.

Sam, give your doggie a nice scritch behind the ear from me.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:18:04 pm »
Hi Sam,
  Sorry to hear about your dog's problems.  It's amazing that a Vet would suggest AN for a diagnosis.  How many Vets's would be aware of AN?  It may be worth asking the Vet if a short course of steriod treatment would help the dog's symptoms. 
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
Head Case

I can give the dog steroids, are you assuming cerebral edema??  Might be worth while to try.

Thanks   Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:11:31 pm »
Dr. Sam -

this certainly is a strange coincidence; I mean, what are the odds  :o

I'm with Lori on this one.  If it were me, I'd do what I could for the dog to make sure she's comfortable and I'd avoid doing anything that would be too traumatic for her.

What that might be though, I'm not sure  ???

Did your vet say what your dog's treatment options are, if an MRI did show an AN?  Perhaps as Rob said the vet could give her a course of steroids.  IMO it's worth asking the vet his opinion.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:30:21 pm »
Sam:

O.K.  This is really weird.  A canine AN patient.  Well, your dog is the human equivalent of 90 years old.  What would you tell a patient with a parent that age who was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma?  I can only speculate but "keep him comfortable and as pain-free as possible" might be your response.  Surgery would probably be off the table as an option at that age.  The steroids may be some help but in this case, 'you're the doctor' - literally - and because the dog is your pet, you get to decide for him.  I'm confident you'll do what's best for the dog.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:43:44 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 07:33:48 pm »
Wow Sam, that is weird.  And we can't tie it to a cell phone!

I guess I would do what a human would do; get a second opinion and do what you can to make the dog comfy and happy.  Do they even do AN surgeries on animals?

I'm so sorry that your pet has received this diagnosis but hopefully it's as slow growing in animals as humans.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

oHIo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:53:24 pm »
Sam,
I'm actually quite impressed that a vet would come up with an AN diagnosis as a possibility.  My people doctor couldn't even come up with an accurate diagnosis.  
As for your doggy...that's a tough one.  I'd keep her comfortable and give yourself time to decide if anything more needs to be done towards a diagnosis.  I'd treat what symptoms I could (steroids sound reasonable) to keep her functional with her other ailments.  

I had a dog who was 13, had been fairly healthy except for a bad back and was the joy of my life.  My child had just been diagnosed with a rare seizure disorder.  My dog walked out of the kitchen one day, fell over and had a seizure right there in front of my eyes.  I could't really believe what I had just seen.  I kept questioning what to do and if I could have been mistaken about what I just witnessed.  I had that "too weird to accept" feeling, and seizures in dogs are not that uncommon.  It was just the timing.  

You will figure out what needs to be done for your doggy.  Give yourself some time.  

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:31:58 pm »
First, some fun answers:

Invite your dog to join the forum. We would welcome her. :)

Call Dr. Brackmann. At this point in his career, he might welcome one more challenge, and if not, he might get a smile out of it. He is the only one I would trust to do AN surgery on a dog.

Start a rumor that ANs are contagious and can be transmitted by pets.  :o

Ok, more seriously.

I wonder if steroids would help, or just bring on some unpleasant side effects. The symptoms don't necessarily indicate a large tumor threatening the brainstem; it could be a small one, causing some mischief in the balance and hearing nerves. Watch and Wait is probably the best treatment choice, with some mild medication if there is evidence of pain or discomfort.

It is destiny, Sam. A man and his dog are the best of friends, and share everything, including their ailments. Scratch her ear.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 08:47:43 pm »
Acoustic Neuromas in canines DO exist.

Here is some medical (ok veterinary  ::) ) material to ponder
http://books.google.com/books?id=8fXzJrDfFgUC&pg=PA1295&lpg=PA1295&dq=acoustic+neuroma+in+canines&source=web&ots=oRQzBAge9L&sig=3Yq5YqOgI2LJpAoYl-6KN6Jb-UI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result

“IF" it were true that both the human and the canine had AN tumors- it would make me question,
    “Is there an environmental link… or just bizarre chance and probability?â€?

Unless you have a look inside the dog’s brain– you will never know.

DHM

P.S. I know Dr. Brackmann will be amused by this one… be sure to share. If there is an environmental link it could help in his research to find "the cause"... Premonition ...I feel a dog survey coming on...  8)  ;)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:13:49 am »
Sam.
I can't even imagine what the odds are of this happening -- they must be astronomical to say the least. :o   I'm not sure what I'd do, but if you think the steroids might help, its worth a try. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 01:31:10 am »
Funny you should mention odds.  As you know, I'm not too far into the oh my goodness what do I have stage.  Well, we have had my dog at the vet many times now for, you ready for this?  Head tilting to one side (no infection), unbalanced, difficulty standing straight, head wobbling back and forth.  They x-rayed the legs.  Hmmm... now I'm thinking it's the brain.  She's only 8ish, but walks like she's 15.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.