Author Topic: Arushi - can you explain the cross-friction massage you were mentioning....  (Read 1693 times)

Denisex2boys

Hi Arushi .....

I contacted our local Cancer Support Center for some massage therapist referrals - unfortunately, since AN's are relatively rare there are not a whole lot of resources around here - anyway they were most helpful to me and said I was more than welcome to contact them - a tumour is a tumour ....  So can you please go into a little more detail for me about the massage you mentioned below ..... so I can describe this to them ...... my stitches ARE OUT - YAH!!!!!!!

Thanks tons!

Denise,

Yes, all of what you describe sounds pretty normal for the sub-occipital approach.  Sorry about the headaches and I do hope they resolve quickly for you.  You are just out of surgery, give yourself lots more time for those things to subside.  As for the double vision, do keep your doctor in the loop on this if it doesn't correct itself. 

As soon as my staples were removed I did cross-fiber frictioning on the incision and massaged all around the incision too.  Cross-fiber friction massage helps to keep scar tissue from forming.  If not sure how to do this just ask otherwise I won't take up space here. 

Welcome to your "new normal"?

- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Hi,

I considered PM to you, but thought maybe there are more people out there interested too so here it goes....(by the way, I had schooling for massage therapy and this technique was taught to me by my teacher>)

One needs to know which direction the muscle fibers run, i.e. north/south or east/west (look up in Grey's Anatomy for muscle fiber directions of skull and fat incision).  I had retrosigmoid approach and the muscles cut into ran north/south or up and down the back of my head.  For my approach I cross-fiber frictioned east/west direction. 

Practice this on your forehead.  Take your index finger above your one eyebrow, press into the skin, you can feel your finger pad sink into the skin, then without lifting the pad move your finger back and forth.  You can feel how the skin "gives" and moves about freely under your pad and below this you can feel the muscle.  It is this muscle you are trying to friction.  I hope this visual makes sense?  Tip:  move s-l-o-w so you don't miss what I'm talking about.   

With "pad" of finger or thumb, press down on scar (gently) without lifting the "pad" move slowly back and forth.  Lift "pad" and move down about finger width to proceed with same motion.  Continue this all the way down (or up depending on where you start on incision) the scar.  Don't worry if the tissue (skin) doesn't respond by moving, it will eventually.  Once your done with this separate index finger and middle finger placing them on either side of incision.  Pressing gently into the tissue without lifting the "pads" of your fingers, slowly pull them down either side of the incision. 

Be cautious here on the amount of pressure you apply as your wound is still fragile, but I'm sure your pain level will tell you whether you are pressing too hard.  With time you will be able to increase the pressure, but for now in the beginning less is best.  I know for me I started with running my fingers either side of the incision at first as I really could not stand the feel of my incision, I progressed at my own pace and by around two weeks after staples were removed, I was able to start touching my incision.  I started with light pressure, barely touching.  Take baby steps here. 

You can also apply this technique to your fat incision too.  Both of my incisions are soft, they have no hard lumps under the skin and move easily.  Any massage therapist will know about this technique and if you would prefer they do it for you then by all means relax and enjoy!  Make sure you communicate to them regarding your level of pain so they know how much pressure to apply.  I did this just about every day sometimes numerous times throughout the day when I felt pain there. 

Hope this helps!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Denisex2boys

Well, I went for my first massage today - and had the cross-friction as well - THANKS ARUSHI!  It felt great!  Although, because I still have some numbness she did not do some areas since I could not tell her if the pressure was too hard or not - - she worked on my head/neck and then applied ice - - I cannot believe how good it feels tonight - she did say though that I was very tight on the side of my neck (which I already knew) - I am booked again in a week .....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Denise,

This is great news about your relief from massage and thanks for posting it!  It is a good testiment to the healing power of "touch". 

Try some neck stretches to keep the tension from building in those neck muscles.  See if your massage therapist can also do "active resistive" stretching to the neck muscles as this type of stretching helps tremendously!

Glad you are getting some relief and I hope your headaches are more manageable or better yet, go away completely! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear