Author Topic: Is it usually an AN?  (Read 4445 times)

picker2b

Is it usually an AN?
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:29 am »
Hi group,

I want to send many thanks to each of you for this forum. I hope to help some of you if the need be.

I have not had my MRI yet, it is scheduled for next week  and I know I'm being pre-mature in my worrying.

Are all classic hearing loss signs the symptoms of AN?

I am 61...and very young :D

I had a hearing test 2 weeks ago and was referred to the ENT. The  ENT doc. wants to do an MRI study because I have gradual left sided hearing loss (some also in the right ear.). I have been experiencing constantTinnitus mostly in the left hear and some in the right.

The Tinnitus has been on and off for many years but became continual in the left ear about a 1 & 1/2 years ago.

I have no dizziness or imbalance problems that I am aware.

I am so afraid that I might have a tumor.

Thank you,
Picker2b-Pat

Kaybo

Re: Is it usually an AN?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:19:03 am »
Pat~
WELCOME!  Since most of us here are NOT Dr.'s, we can't really answer that question AND even if we were, NOTHING gives solid proof except an MRI WITH contrast.  In the meantime, know that we are here for you and will be anxiously awaiting your MRI results!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

picker2b

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:52:01 am »
Thank you Kay!

I know I should not worry at this point...but there is so much on the net that give us information that can be a great thing.....But....maybe sometimes too much info can set one up to make a diagnosis that is unecessary.

thanks for your response.

P

macintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:05:25 am »

As Kaybo says, there is no way of knowing until you get the MRI, but my ENT told me that only about 6% of those sent for an MRI to test for an AN actually have one.

Even if: This is a very treatable condition, and the folks on this board can offer plenty of advice about how to handle it.

Mac

picker2b

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:33:40 am »
Thanks Mac,

I suppose anyone presenting with certain symptoms are sent as to R/O underline conditions.

Being a new to this.... I need to step back and breathe.

Thank all of you for being here.

P

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:23:41 pm »
Hi Pat and welcome.  To step back and breathe is a good thing! ;)  We all try to do that on occassion :)   

As everyone is noting, to have the MRI with contrast done is the only, true way to properly diagnosis an AN.  Very treatable, yes to the benign.. and as you can see here, many of us are doing the best we can with this diagnosis.

If you have specific questions, try the "Search" option here as many, over time, have contributed a wealth of info based on experience and research.  Hang in there... keeping fingers, eyes and toes crossed that you get your issue resolved and that all is well.

Hang in there... ok, try breathing again! :)

Again, welcome
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mrgarlic

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:13:32 pm »
greetings,, prior to 4 years ago when I had my tumor removed, I had no symptoms at all concerning the tumor.  I was slowly losing my hearing in my good ear so the Dr suggested an MRI to see what all was going on. They found a  tumor in the opposite ear. I am now waiting on surgery on a second tumor.,,,,,,,,Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 04:25:52 pm »
Picker:

Hello and welcome to the forum.  Self-diagnosis by non-physicians is always risky and usually in error.  As others have correctly noted, the MRI scan - with contrast - will tell your doctor whether or not you have an acoustic neuroma.  If you do, it is not necessarily a catastrophe, as the posts here will attest.  If its something else, you need to know that.  Meanwhile, don't allow fears and uncertainty to control your outlook.  Try to remain positive until you have something concrete to deal with.  Perhaps you'll have little or nothing show up on the MRI.  One never knows.  For now, do 'step back', swear off the self-diagnosis and try to enjoy life. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

picker2b

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 05:58:43 pm »
Thank you...I will back off. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 09:48:59 pm »
Picker -

there's no reason not to be proactive in your quest for an answer to your hearing loss, so don't feel guilty about your "self-diagnosis".  Although the vast majority of us here aren't doctors, I can pretty much guarantee you that each of us has self-diagnosed something in our medical history - whether it was a correct diagnosis or not  ;)

To answer your question, no, not all classic hearing losses mean the patient has an acoustic neuroma.  There are other reasons for hearing loss.  However, it is possible you have an AN.

The only definitive way to rule out or confirm an acoustic neuroma is through a MRI with gadolinium contrast, so it sounds like your ENT is moving in the right direction by ordering one.

While I'm hopeful you don't have an AN - it's not the end of the world, but not something I'd have consciously asked for  :D - if you do have one, take comfort in the fact that 99.9% of them are benign.  So if you have to have a tumor, it's one of the "better" ones to have. 

Wishing you all the best.  Please let us know what your MRI shows.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 03:56:29 pm »
hearing loss is only one piece of the puzzle .. and a small piece !! .. add dizziness , ear fullness , headaches .. facial numbness...  and even with all that ... it could still be something else, AN's are rare..... in most cases of people popping in here... it turns out not to be a AN ...

as everyone else has said ... a MRI with contrast is the gold standard to see the tumor .. if its there, it can't hide! even on Halloween!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

picker2b

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:16:18 pm »
Hi group,

My MRI was negative for a tumor.

Thank you again for this forum and the wonderful support you give to one another.

Thank you for listening and responding in such a concerned manner regarding my fear, you are an exceptional group of folks.

Grace and peace,
Pat

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 06:51:56 pm »
Excellent news!

Although I love welcoming newbies, it's great to find out that a newbie isn't really "one of us" afterall  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:37 pm »
Pat:

We welcome those who have an acoustic neuroma so that we may help them in some way but we're as just as quick to congratulate those who suspect they might have an AN and post, but later find out (via MRI) that they don't.  So, in this case, congratulations, Pat!  I hope your doctor can get to the source of your symptoms, soon...and thanks for your generous words of affirmation for our group.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

picker2b

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:53 pm »
Pat:

We welcome those who have an acoustic neuroma so that we may help them in some way but we're as just as quick to congratulate those who suspect they might have an AN and post, but later find out (via MRI) that they don't.  So, in this case, congratulations, Pat!  I hope your doctor can get to the source of your symptoms, soon...and thanks for your generous words of affirmation for our group.  :)

Jim

Hi Jim,

Per the physician......It seems I have a natural hearing loss on the left side. It is mild and I can barely notice it. Not sure were the Tinnitus came from but if has been a year or more. It does not bother me as much as it did at first. He said he could not help the Tinnitus...so I guess it is what it is.

To each of you,
A Wonderful Peaceful Holiday
Pat