Author Topic: late onset extreme vertigo  (Read 5158 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
late onset extreme vertigo
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:24:58 pm »
Hi all,
Aside from facial pain and other weird and annoying side effects I am doing great.  This morning though, when I bent down to tie my shoes, I experienced vertigo like never before.  I felt like I was on an amusement park ride and ended up on the floor.  Tried to get up and it happened again.  This time I stayed down longer and eventually got up and went running, no problem.  Now, I did not have my vestibular nerve cut and have not experienced much dizziness post surgery but this was the most intense vertigo I could imagine.  I felt as if I was being flung about the room or vice versa.  I will call the doctor tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this.  I also have some cold/virus thing so am thinking that could have something to do with it?

Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

Re: late onset extreme vertigo
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:27:18 pm »
Marci~
Obviously I am not a Dr. but I think you nailed it on the head when you said you thought that it had something to do with your cold/virus - I bet it is just something that is in your ear too...let us know what the Dr. says!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:27:12 am »
Aside from facial pain and other weird and annoying side effects I am doing great.

Spoken like a true postie. :)

Given that your vestibular nerve was not cut, it does seem reasonable to me that a virus could cause enough inflammation to throw off your balance system like that. It will take a doctor to find out, though. Since you were up and running shortly afterwards, it was hopefully just a temporary thing. I think it is high time for this sort of nonsense to stop happening to you, and I hope it does.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:09:28 am »
 ;D

Thanks K and Steve...calling the doctor soon..will let you know.  I hope it doesn't happen again, I didn't like amusement park rides even as a kid.

M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:08 am »
Inner ear problems are a doosy to figure out especially those that present with vertigo and dizziness.  Your having a cold/virus would certainly cause you inner-ear problems and a visit to the doctor is most prudent.  Hope you find the answer. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:09:50 am »
Hi Marci,

Sorry to hear about your short bout of vertigo.  I hope you doc can explain this that it is indeed just your coldl/virus and will not repeat itself.  I'm hoping your soon back in t he pink.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mrgarlic

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:31:30 pm »
Greetings Marcy, In addition to all of my other past problems, I had menieries Disease and positional vertigo. There is a very accurate test for each one. Menieries was any position, any time. I had falling sensations, as if I had dropped from upstairs to downstairs very quickly but with a soft landing. Positional for me was looking up and to one side. A little surgery took care of my menieries permenently. The positional just went away. However I think your "plug" fell out and you are just unbalanced. Try wearing a lift in your shoe to balance you out.  :)  :)  :)
If there any new comers reading, please disregard this post. There has to be a little humor ,,,,ha ha ha      Larry
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:31:09 am »
Around 20 years ago, I had a cold/virus that apparently got into my left ear and caused benign positional vertigo. I had intense vertigo whenever I tilted my head back. This lasted for several days and then went away.

In retrospect now, I question if the diagnosis was correct or if, instead, this was the first symptom of a small AN starting to grow in my inner ear on that side. Who knows, maybe it was a virus and it weakened structures that then became susceptible to growing an AN. All speculation. But at the time at least, it did seem like the cause of my vertigo was a virus.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MAlegant

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 07:41:45 am »
Thanks.  And of course my biggest fear is that something is growing somewhere that shouldn't be.  Which is, at this point, a terrifying thought.  I spoke to the doctor's nurse yesterday and the doctor will either call or email me.  My next appointment is Dec. 2.   

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:04:05 pm »

Hi Marci,

Keep us posted on the dr. visit.  That must have been an alarming event.  I'm impressed that you went on your run as usual!  That took some confidence on your part.  Your recovery has been really good so far.  I'm hoping my surgery comes out as well as yours.

Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

MAlegant

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:44:09 am »
Maggie,
It's a very small town.  Which means everybody knows everybody else.  I figured if it happened while I was running I wouldn't be too far from help.  Besides, life is short, the sun was shining, and I was determined to run anyway, it's what keeps me sane.  Or sort of sane.  I wish for you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.  When is your surgery??
Marci

texsooner

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 11:20:37 am »
Marci, how was your balance after your run? I just got back from an 8 mile run/jog/walk this morning. I noticed that when I ran a couple of miles, then slowed down to walk, I got wobbly(probably looked like a stumbling drunk)...then started running again and seemed to have no balance issues. Unrelated, but my dry eye was ok for the 1st half of my run, but then started drying out on the back half(against the wind). Keep posting about your running...it keeps me motivated to do the same. My wife thinks I'm crazy for running after the AN surgery, but I can at least point to you and say "see, I'm not the only one".

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 11:52:59 am »
I think I read somewhere that walking is actually more challenging to your balance system than running. Something about the motions involved, transfer of weight, etc. I don't know the details, but I think it is common to find that your balance is better when running compared to walking.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kenneth_k

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 12:01:38 pm »
Funny, before my surgery, I sometimes had difficulties walking, but never running. It also puzzled me. How can I be sick if I can run ???

It's only been a month since surgery, but when I'm ready, I'll definitely take up running again.

Best regards, Kenneth

MAlegant

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 01:30:05 pm »
I was fine after running and have been fine since.  My balance has never been great (read; I'm a klutz and once broke my own foot in a dance class by stepping on it with the other foot!) And yes, walking is definitely harder for me than running.  Go figure.