Author Topic: Debbi's Facial Progress  (Read 4688 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Debbi's Facial Progress
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:50:30 am »
So, I thought I'd post a progression of pictures showing my facial progress in six months.  I hope that this will be helpful for those who are currently dealing with this, or who are worried that they may end up with facial paralysis following surgery.  I am still not considered a 3 on the House Brackman scale, because my eye still won't close all the way.  I do, however, have good movement back in the mid section of my face - upper lip, check.  Other people really don't notice the non-blinking eye much, nor do most people notice that my lower lip doesn't move on its own.

So, first picture is me at three days post op, sporting the magic scarf ...

Next picture is me at about two months post op:

Now here I am at about 5 months post op

And here I am at 6.5 months post op.  You can really see the difference here (and if you look close, you can see my Blinkeze, too):

I still have quite a ways to go, but I do have a pretty good smile these days and I am quite happy with that.  The right side of my mouth doesn't life as high or turn up as much, but it still looks pretty good!  Even if I don't regain forehead and chin, I'll be happy.

Debbi, smiling at last...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Debbi's Facial Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:06:41 pm »
Looking good Debbi  ;D  Thanks for the pictures.  Very encouraging.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:18:13 pm »
Debbi, that is really tremendous progress, especially after the 5 month mark. Great smile.....that gives a lot of hope to me and others that things will continue to improve.Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 02:38:21 pm »
That is so awesome - thanks for the update. It is nice to see a visual. Yes we are all different and progress at different rates but hope is hope.
I am five months and have not experienced any moment in the corner of my mouth, I was kind of thinking maybe it won't ever move but with your photos I have renewed hope. My eye is regenerating (had an EMG) and can almost close, does not blink much though and I hope that the spontaneous blink does return.
Way to go Debbie!
Michelle  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:20:27 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:49:31 pm »
Thanks, Debbi. Your smile looks great. I am just a little more than a month behind you and at about the same point as your five-month picture. From the beginning my goal has been to smile again. I can live with the rest. I hope than in four or five weeks I can report the same.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:24:21 pm »
Debbi,
As I said in my PM, WOW  ;D  You look great.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 03:43:01 pm »
Debbi, that is wonderful. I am so happy for you that you have finally gotten the surge forward you have so patiently awaited. I had to do a quick login to say so, even though I am in the midst of some work on the kitchen sink.

I also want to thank you for posting such an important example of facial nerve progress. You guys aren't just saying it, you really mean it when you say it gets better with time (and a huge dollop of patience). This will be inspiring to many on the forum.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 05:57:34 pm »
Debbi,

You are getting there! Great progress! By the time we meet, you will be completely back to normal.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 07:40:41 pm »
Wow, Debbi, awesome progress.  The pictures really do tell the story.  And like Michelle said, it's great encouragement for others following in your footsteps.  Love to see those successes.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 07:24:10 am »
......arms around you

Awsome Deb!

Still have a long way to go?  Looks like you're almost there!  You will certainly be an inspiration to others with similar issues.  Heck, you are an inspiration to me with my own "issues"! 

:-*
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:02:37 am »
Thanks so much, everyone.  It still feels a little scary letting people see some of the "early" pictures - kind of like going naked in public I guess.  It is amazing to me how much of my face still doesn't move, but the part that does makes so much difference. 

I remember my neurotologist teling me that the first nerve to come back would be the mid-face area because that is the shortest part of the nerve.  And, sure enough, that's what has come back.  My chin and forehead still don't move, but I am optimistic that over the next six months I'll get movement.  And, truthfully, if I don't it won't be the end of the world.  (Atlhough I would love to eat a sandwich or a slice of pizza without also eating my lower lip!)  :D

I would say to all of you who are waiting - well, I know how you feel and all I can say is ... patience.  I got the first little bit of movement right below my eye in my upper cheek about 4 weeks after surgery, and then nothing for several months.   At about 2 months, I got a small (actually miniscule) litle twitch at the corner of my mouth.  And, as you can all see from the pictures, the big improvement has been in the last month.  Have faith, though, and look for the smallest signs. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:14 am »
Hi Debbi!!!

All I can say is WOW!!! ;D ;D ;D  Great pictures and you look absolutely incredible -- you have really made a lot of progress and although I know that  this has not been easy for you, you've done it with equally amazing bravery and  grace. I am so happy for you and hope things continue to improve even past your hopes and  expectations.  You truly are such an inspiration to all of us!

Hugs,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:01:58 am »
Looking great, Debbi! And really, since all this has come back, it's just as likely that the progress will continue, right???

Take Care!
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

NL

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 11:10:29 am »
Debbi,

I know your post made everyone smile! Thanks so much for sharing your pics and your fantastic progress in the last couple of months. Showing the full six month progression will help so many people.  I agree with Wendy - you're an inspiration to us all!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 05:33:14 pm »
Debbi:

A slightly tardy note of thanks for posting your 'progression' photos. You're looking great but just as important; you took the time, made the effort and put aside any impulses of vanity to show others that facial issues do resolve - in time.  For that, you are appreciated more than ever.  Thanks!  :)  You're a real asset to this site/forum.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.