Author Topic: old age?  (Read 5228 times)

thecakes

old age?
« on: January 30, 2006, 09:05:54 am »
   I'm not old but this surgery makes me feel that way.  I used to love music, had to have radio on, humming and singing.  My makeup had to be on just right.  Hair fixed to perfection, etc.  It's a job to bend down, I don't want to make myself look bad I still am a perticular person but I suddenly seem alot older.  I need some excitement.   the cakes at 46

daylilly

Re: old age?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:17:00 am »
I turned 50 right after my surgery in JUly 2005 -felt like 80. Who needs black balloons and gag gifts
when you can have brain surgery. Getting ready for my husbands Christmas party at work was kinda funny.
Do you put make-up on the paralyzed side of the face?
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis

RadiantStar

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:59:18 am »
 :)Okay ladies, I'm getting ready to turn 51 soon.  My surgery was 2 months and 2 days ago.  Admittedly, the 2nd and 3rd week post-op were tough, but as time and function returns and mostly as my fear resides, my life, and attitude gets better.  Yes, sometimes I feel tired, impatient and even irritable, however those times are a lot less frequent.

I recall shortly after surgery, my face wasn't working too well, a lady walked up to me and started talking and I felt self-conscious.  I'm pleased to say I don't even think about it anymore.

My message to you is to have hope, it will get better.  This surgery has really changed my perspective on just about everything that I did before.

I hope this finds you both well, and that you enjoy your day.

Kathleen

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:08:59 pm »
This is a fun topic!

Hey, I don't want to put the girls down, but I am 64 (birthday 9 days after surgery)  and I can tell you...You are only as old as you think.  That puts "feeling" old at second base.  Get out your positive outlook, your words of wisdom, your ability to not sweat the small stuff, your Riva chunky high heels, your glam sun glasses and go for it!  Make a self affirming, positive statement. Today is your new normal!

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 06:55:59 pm »
Ha! ;DI like this topic!!  I went through a divorce(25years of marriage) at the same time as my surgery.  Talk about old! I just turned 48!  But I must agree with Boppie, now that  I am back to teaching, live alone(love it!) I feel even younger than I did before AN and D!  With a few exceptions when the kids exhaust me and I'm in bed by 7:30 p.m.!  Another advantage of living alone.  Having my An has definitely changed my view of thinking and my priorities  in life!   So ladies, (and men) we are only as old as we feel! ;)luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 07:30:08 pm »
Time for some male intervention here guys!

I'm 49 and coping reasonably well. Went outside my comfort zone last weekend and went white water rafting. A great buzz and wonderfully exciting time. My body however told me that it can't handle these things anymore and i was in agony (particularly headaches) for a couple of days. - Would i do it again - ABSOLUTELY. You gotta give things a go - can't be a lounge lizzard forever.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

thecakes

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 07:54:46 pm »
  I'm the cakes, short for patti cake. I'm the one that feels so much older.  I had my surgery Oct.02 and I had a stroke, 2seusures, went in a coma for 6 weeks, caught pnuemonia, swelled up and they could'nt get me sewed up because of swelling. Two months ICU.  They were talking about putting me in a nursing home.{that sounds scary} But here I am.  Maybe that is why I feel so old.  I can't run, It feels like I'll fall on my face.  iI ride a 3 wheel bike bacause of the balance problem.  I am a lot less limber.  Weather I feel old or not I thank God every day i'M NOT IN A NURSING HOME. 

daylilly

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 07:42:07 am »
Wow Patti-you're not old, you're inspiring! I don't know if I could have
gone through that in my 20s.  Are you sure you need more excitement?
3 cm AN
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf

DeniseSmith

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:34:46 pm »
Hello ladies and any gentlemen!  My surgery was 05/2005. I am fast approaching 45.  I love to walk, and I love to ride motorcycles  I have been getting my family to walk with me. And in the spring i am trading in my motorcycle for a trike.  I was very depressed and pissed off initially.  Now, I just want to get back to as close to my normal activity level as I can. I stayed out until  10:30 the other night and my boyfriend and i just laugh at how funny that sounds, like its some kind of milestone.  We aren't snowmobiling this year since, I can't see well at night, but i look forward to it next year.

You are only as young as your mind lets you feel!!!  I will be 45 in Oct, and I still feel like I did when I was 25, a little hung over! Ha Ha!

Denise

thecakes

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 05:07:52 pm »
     daylilly, thats one thing I lucked out on.  I had no paralyzed face. But It seems to sag alote more.[an age thing I guess]  They got all my tumor too.  I am so used to working,now I sometimes get so board and feel I am not "out there" with the rest of the world.  I used to oil paint, now I do but I paint abstract. [It turns out that way weather I like it or not]  It is nice talking to you and the others. have to stop, thecakes

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 01:45:44 pm »
I was only 23 when I had the first tumor removed and I felt like 100 even 1 year post-op, my GP at that time explained that such a surgery will age you but he reassured me that I would feel better as time went on....I haven't. I stopped using daily make-up after that surgery 'cause all the eye makeup ended up in my eye and was irritating and all the remover stung my eye and didn't "flush out". Yup this experience has certainly aged me beyond that of my years. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Jeanlea

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 09:33:03 pm »
I had my surgery on September 6, 2005.  I was 42.  Still am for a few more months.  I did feel old in the beginning.   Walking around with a cane and having to have someone walk with me made me feel that way.  My 12 year old son said he didn't think he would have to help me walk until I got much older.  Luckily that stage passed and now I can walk on my own.  I still felt happy that I wasn't stuck in a wheel chair all day like my grandma is.  Now I'm back to working out on my treadmill.  Even did a bit of cross country skiing, although going down a fairly big hill scared me.  At least I didn't fall.  I'm adjusting to the "new normal me."  Someday, when I'm able, I'll even smile about it. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Sheryl

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 08:47:42 pm »
Great topic!!  I am a "wait and watcher" for the past 4-1/2 years.  In between, I had surgery for breast cancer and my husband had surgery for another benign type of brain tumor called a meningioma.  I will turn 60 this year and he will turn 64 - wow only one more year for Medicare for him!!!  Did all of this age us??  Yes, I'm sure it did but thankfully we do not have any major deficits.  I have only the highest regard for the people posting on this board with what some of them have gone through. 
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

daylilly

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:38:29 am »
I did it! The new me with the funky face and the blurry eye went skiiing with my son's scout troop. I really wanted to go last year but I had a feeling that I
should not be far from home and basically felt like I was trying not to die. I did not know about the AN yet. I remember being really sad that I could not join
in the fun. My husband and I had skied about 18 years ago prior to having kids and I had hoped to try it again some day. Well one year and one AN surgery later,
it was time for the yearly ski trip and I decided to go. When I felt like chickening out, I would read these posts. I spent most of the time on the bunny
hill but the balance felt pretty good. I had to keep a lot of lube in the eye. Next year should be even better. Thanks everyone for all the inspiriation.
3 cm AN
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf

dgrummer

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 02:19:25 pm »
Daylilly -

Thanks for the post about your recent ski trip.  My husband is having surgery in 3 weeks and I browse the boards almost everyday.  We try and go skiing every year and just went back in January – thinking it might be our last trip.  I’m so happy to hear you were back on the slopes just a short time later!

We now have an opportunity to take a cruise in June -  just 4 mts after his surgery.  I’ve been thinking these past few days that he probably won’t feel like going – but now I’m thinking there might be a chance. Not near as physically demanding as skiing and I can’t think of a better way to recuperate then relaxing in the Caribbean.

Thanks again – the positive thoughts are what are keeping me sane right now :-)