Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5414 times)

LADavid

Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:59 am »
I don't even know where to begin.  I thank God for His blessings.  Even though I spent the last year in doubt and fear, He has been been there for me.  A year ago I didn't know what to expect.  I went through some dark times since.  But today I am cared for in spite of what has gone wrong.  I am very thankful for my friends who have stuck by me through this ordeal.  I found a time in my life where I didn't have a wife who would have been with me.  But there have been friends who have been there.  I've even had my high school girlfriend checking up on me.  And my daughter has been a rock.  She has been a guiding force in my life through all of this.  She wouldn't let me get down.  We spent the summer running together.  It gave me a goal and a purpose.  Sadly, my family deserted me.  But with God, friends, and my daughter, I am seeing this through -- and I am very thankful for having them in my life.  Thanksgiving Day I am taking the train to Long Beach.  My daughter and her friend Jasmin and I are cooking dinner.  We'll watch some movies, throw a football around, have a few glasses of wine, and be thankful we have each other.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 06:08:13 am »
I am thankful for all the chairs that will filled this year at my dining room table and for the food to feed all of the folks.  I am thankful for this forum and the wonderful people who so selflessly support one another.  I am thankful for a grandson who I can build ginger bread houses with and carry on a Bob the Builder and Wendy conversation with (he is Bob, I'm Wendy).  I am thankful for two beautiful, caring daughters and two equally beautiful and caring grand daughters.  I am thankful for my Sophie LaRoo, who always has a big wet kiss for me and wags her tail until she falls down just because I come into the room.  You can't beat love like that.  I am thankful for my doctors, who sometimes don't understand, but always try.  I am also thankful to have finally found a hairdresser who listens!

I hope all of you have a Happy and wonderful Thanksgiving with the people you love the most and a few who could really use a hot meal and some friendship

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 11:11:30 am »
Enjoy your day my friends.  Thinking of all of you.

One of your Canadian friends,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 01:02:49 pm »
tisha, thanks for starting this thread!!

wow, can't believe that i had my surgery exactly a year ago on this date, so i am thankful for:
- my 1 year MRI came back cleared of any residual or recurrent tumor, "Whew"!!!
- God's promises and strength in carrying me through the pre and post surgery experience
- opening my eyes, mind and heart to what matters most - family, friends, personal well being and selflessness
- opportunity to go back to asia to spend christmas with my family
- i still have a job
- black friday massive sales  ;D

happy thanksgiving!!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 01:58:36 pm »
Yes Donnalynn, we have one Superstore in the area.  Three of my sons work directly for the Weston Group and they get a discount at the Superstores......I'm on a mission not till next week.  Keep me posted!

I let my son in Gr 12 stay home from school today to watch football.  I'm such a bad mom ::)

I hope everyone enjoys they're day.  Even though in Canada we all ready had Thanksgiving today I've been so THANKFUL we live in the western world.  My prayers are for all of those people who are injured and dead in India today. 

Peace on Earth and Good Will Towards Men,
Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Tisha

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 11:28:16 am »
Sue,

NO mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving!  That's sinful, isn't it?   LOL!  Is it because you don't like them or you don't want to deal with making them?  Is it's the latter, well...let me tell you my secret that I've been doing for 4 years now and have passed it on to numerous friends (who endlessly thank me).   You make them the day before, refrigerate, then the next day put them in the crockpot for 4 hours (2 on high, 2 on low).  I whip them up a bit with a teeny more milk before I throw them in, but not too much...they will get soft in the crockpot.

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 11:10:49 am »
Tisha, what a great hint.  Yes, it's because I didn't want to deal with any more work that necessary.  It was a long, tiring week because I have been caring for our son, who is laid up with his knee surgery.  I found a nice idea on line for baked potatoes, however.  I washed them good, and put some butter on the skins and then put some Kosher salt on the them before they were baked.  My brother in law thought they were great that way. 

Now, if I can just remember that idea on the mashed potatoes, that would be a nifty idea for the next family gathering.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:34 am »
Boxed mashed potatoes are a lot better than they used to be, too, and come in flavors like garlic or sour cream and chives.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:58:23 pm »
I totally cheated on everything this year - the stores here carry a brand of pre-made mashed white and mashed sweet potatoes (no trans fats, low in fat and calories) and all they require is heating in the microwave.  I transferred them to baking dishes and heated them up and no one was the wiser.  I love mashed potatoes, but they are a lot of work when you do them from scratch.  I added a little milk and sour cream to the store-bought mashed potatoes, along with some chives and everyone loved them. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 06:49:26 pm »
I've tried those frozen ones that you put in the microwave and they were pretty good.  Believe it or not, I didn't even want to do that much work!  The baked potatoes came out okay and everybody ate them, so it was okay with me to go the easy route for a change. 

One way to forget about your own health problems is to take care of another family member.  I was so tired last night!  Between him and his insane dog, I was exhausted.  Mostly, I think, it's the insane dog that is wearing me out!  He's not getting enough exercise.  Today he and I went on a long, long walk.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode