Author Topic: meaningful statistics  (Read 1988 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
meaningful statistics
« on: January 30, 2006, 04:36:43 pm »
Hi all,

Firstly, I find this site wonderful and the posters fantastic. I have learned so much from everyone. i would like to recommend two improvements to the message board though and would like to get some opinions first - weight in numbers is best.

I live in Sydney Australia and quite often, my fellow "down under" people have not known who to see. That applies to a number of people in the States that are in particular cities, looking for fellow posters from that location. Also, with so many places doing AN ops and radiation treatments, maybe we should have a list of good and not so good ones.

Recommendations:

1. In our profile setting, there is a field for location but you can't search on it. I'd like to recommend that there be two locations in the profile - City and then Country. Also, the search parameters should include these fields where you can identify all posters from a particular City and or Country. Easier direct correspondence can follow then.

2. I'm wondering whether we should have a rating system by Hospital - not doctor as this would get a little risky. The rating could be a 1-10 with a short 3 or 4 line comment.

Interested in your views.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: meaningful statistics
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:15:02 pm »
Larry,
  The city and country idea sounds good.
  The statistics are numbers that we would all like to have-- if they were truely representative.  Unfortunately, it would be difficult to compare results for the same type and size of AN.  A less preferred outcome may be due to the circumstances of the AN, for instance a large AN, making it difficult to get a general idea of how good the Hospital is for AN treatments. It would take large numbers of patients from a hospital for you to make reasonable assumptions about that institution in general.  And what I would be more interested in is how good a particular treatment team is, rather than the hospital in genreal.   Getting data from a large number of patients could be possible, but it would take a long time.  I'd be sceptical that we could get good data out of the varied experiences out there.
Regards,
 Rob

1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: meaningful statistics
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:23:14 pm »
Larry,
  If you're looking for statistics, I've found data in some of the Journals.  For example "Neurosurgery" of Otolarengology" ( I hope I spelled that right.  My local teaching Hospital has a medical library- very handy.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW