Author Topic: i'm a POSTIE!!  (Read 4085 times)

scarriegirl

i'm a POSTIE!!
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:41 pm »
  ;D

sorry guys for popping in here at diagnosis then dissapearing untill after surgery, but i guess my coping mechanism was to recede from everything....even stopped returning phone calls to anyone other than my mom, dad, brother and husband.  i just didn't feel like dealing with being sick.  but i have so many good things that i hope will help others that i popped back in to share them. 

up untill surgery (nov 17) i was getting more and more fatigued, my tinnitus was unbearable..still is.. and the fullness in my ear was driving my crazy!!  i was working up untill the surgery waiting tables.  had quit my bartending job due to the management being incredibly toxic (read: alcoholics)  and felt like i was spinning my wheels waiting and waiting for the time to come.  well it did.

last sunday i went in for my MRI and after 45 minutes with and without dye they informed me they did the wrong test and they should have been testing me with guides on on the surgeons would have a "GPS" for my brain.  so i was whisked off totally unprepared and had my head shaved and these wierd sticky things put on.  then back into the MRI.  and back out. and back in.  got home at noon after arriving at 7 am.  and i'm sure you realize i am not a morning person being a bartender and all!!!! not pleased.

went out to lunch with family, and was trying so hard not to sleep so i could sleep at night, but somehow managed to pass out untill the next morning at 5am when i had to get up and get prepared for surgery.  prehospital i had to bathe on two occassions with antibacterial soap so i didnt get an infection from the germs on my skin.  so by now i am feeling pretty vulnerable...i am somewhat of a glam queen, and having to remove my acrylic nails, jewelry, shaving half my head and washing with hospital soap made me feel pretty yuck. 

so, my mom dad bro and husband brought me to the hospital, and after they checked me in i was taken immediately to preop....not ready!!!!!!!  laying there with nothing but a johnny and a blanket with noone was very lonely.  i was reduced to a name on a chart!  the nurses tried to start my IVs, but ultimately the anasthesia team came in and gave me two IVS and an arterial line.  the OR nurses were AWESOME!!  they kept telling my it sucked and i would be abnormal not to be angry and scared..and they would take great care of me....i felt pretty calm about it all.  so i started my countdown........

woke up who knows (10hours) later asking for my family....i didn't understand why they weren't there.  i vaguely remember being told the tumor was gone.  then i have hazy memories of my family hugging me...i yelled at my husband later for squeezing me too hard and he said he barely touched me so i was sore!!  i remember asking for my dogs, and ice cream.  then they sent everyone away and i really wasnt upset because i wanted to sleep.  don't know how long i was in recovery, but the first night i was really confused whether i was in recovery, ICU, or on the floor.  i actually was in ICU for 2 nights. 

the first night was absolutely the worst.  the morphine didn't control the pain so they started oxycodone in between doses.  and i would sleep for 5 minutes and then be convinced i had been out for hours.  the headache was excruciating.  in the morning i had to have a CT scan and was convinced i wasnt going to make it!  my FABULOUS nurse gave me extra pills and we started out....of course after nothing  but anasthesia for over 24 hours, and motion sick anyways, i immediately threw up.  but it wasnt so bad.  CT scan over!  results told me that i had air in my head from the surgery (normal) which was causing the pain and sure enough it subsided quickly. 

i think i had an MRI that night...time gets hazy around this bit...but found out that not only did they get the tumor out, they had preserved my hearing nerve too!  also, they used mesh, sealant and were actually able to screw my skull fragment back in!!

thursday...off to eye doc...no scratching, but have to lubricate a lot. 

thursday night...HOME!!!!

today is tuesday and i feel bruised and sore, but overall MUCH better than i had planned. 

things to note:

i had lost ALL balance on AN side before surgery, so i have no issues recovering balance. 
had facial numbness and lack of taste and smell on AN side and that recovered immediately!!  my soap smells SO good!!!!!!
fullness on AN side has subsided, but not tinnitus...hearing still gone, but promised with time it will get better.
facial nerve was totally weak after surgery, but it gets better every day!
my dressing was removed in the hospital and they said no problem cleaning my wound or washing my hair, so i did so yesterday and it felt great!
got dressed in jeans and boots and went to dinner with mom last night and wasnt terribly wiped out!!!

not so nice things:
swallowing has been hard.  even the tiniest bit of solid food took about a week to be able to swallow and if i cough my head hurts!!
coming off the steroids they had me on for anti swelling was awful
one week later, i am very sore in the middle of my sleep so i have an arsenal of pills by the bed.  i find aleve helps most of all.
drinking is pretty funny!  straw is hard, can't get suction.  cup is hard, i dribble.  have to have my head at a certain angle or liquid comes out my nose!!   ::)

overall, i have had a pretty amazing time considering that i had a pretty scary surgery one week ago!! 
if you are having bothersome symptoms and are scared about the surgery, i say go for it....it hurts for a bit, but after one week i already feel so much better i am glad i went through it!!!!

and if you are in boston, i can't say enough about the staff at BMC  from the surgeons to the nurses to the receptionists.....everyone was incredibly kind.

hope this long rant here answers some questions for some.  feel free to ask away!!  i am so grateful to have had such a positive experience.  and heres some pics you can laugh at!!

presurgery markers:

scar:

mushy face:

not so bad!!:
"when you reach the end of the rainbow there's always another color!"
finally diagnosed 8/08
retro surgery scheduled nov. 17 at boston medical
there is a tennis ball in my ear!! at least it feels like it.

Denisex2boys

Re: i'm a POSTIE!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:42:07 pm »
Congrats to you for being a POSTIE!  My surgery was Oct. 16th and I too in the beginning felt like I could conquer the world - - Please be careful and try, try not to do too much!  I did and had a few setbacks - - nothing major but the headaches became really bad - especially at night .....

Your post sounds like my first postie post!  I still have some minimal facial weakness (getting better every day) - hearing was basically gone in the left ear after surgery but I seem to be hearing a few low bass tones lately.  Taste, tongue, throat, inside of cheek still a bit frozen ..... and balance was already compensated for so I am having few problems with that - just outside when walking long distances.

Just take it easy and rest when you can - believe me I know - - and I can honestly say - that a month later I am feeling fantastic!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:12:03 am »
Very glad you posted and are having minimal issues post surgery!  Congratulations!

Take it easy on yourself, sometimes we try to "do well" for those around us, when we really need to rest more!

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:10:41 am »
Congratulations on a really good surgical outcome -- especially keeping your hearing!  Now  it's time to rest and heal so take it easy.  Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:16:25 am »
Yay for you!  Welcome Postie!  And how did you manage to look cute post-op?  That is no small feat!  Take extra good care of yourself and have a happy Thanksgiving.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

scarriegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:58 am »
thanks guys!!!
i am really taking it easy and watching lots of movies and napping lots...but really i was afraid of so much worse!!!!

as for looking cute...it's an illusion!!! that's my good non droopy side  ;) :P

does anyone feel pain inside that for lack of better reference feels like bones knitting??   thats the worst of the pain, and since i've never broken anything i am assuming that healing bone hurts....

not sure if i'm up for an hour ride tommorrow to family thanksgiving, but i will definately get some turkey!!!

hope you all have wonderful turkey days too! and mashed potatoes are great food for us that don't fully work on one side!

xx
c
finally diagnosed 8/08

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:05:34 pm »
I found that I had weird pain, hard to describe, for quite a while.  Take it easy on that trip; it may fatigue you more than you anticipate.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

scarriegirl

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:34:30 pm »
decided that crockpot turkey with just my husband and i is the way to go!! put dinner in pot....turn on...eat later.  PRICELESS!
finally diagnosed 8/08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »
Scarriegirl:

Congratulations on your successful AN removal surgery - and welcome to (tah da!) 'postie-land'!  :D

Thanks for the detailed account of your hospital experience, both the pre and post-op.  Very informative and with the photos, invaluable as a resource for those who may be thinking of or are scheduled for surgery anytime soon.  You've provided us with an interesting and very useful account. 

Now, enjoy the crock-pot turkey, rest easy and lets hope your recuperation is quick and smooth.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

scarriegirl

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 03:22:21 pm »
update:

now been almost two weeks...and yup, i overdid it and crashed till 1:30pm today!
seems like the worst time of day is around midnight now.   have a hard time with the pain when i'm lying still...not bad pain...feels like pain from healing, but it is definitely there.  biggest thing i've noticed is that when i get dehydrated even a little bit EVERYTHING is much harder to deal with.  also if i let my blood sugar get low i crash much easier.  otherwise, i'm doing great.  have a stiff neck, so going out to get a heating pad for that.  my facial muscles are more or less back...still a bit droopy, but mostly there.  seeing head and neck surgeon as well as eye doc on tuesday, and neurosurgeon wed.  hopefully sutures will come out then cuz i am ITCHY!!!  i am keeping the incision clean with the hosipital soap they gave me and it seems to be healing well.  my eye is shutting all the way now and i don't need to lubricate as much but i sleep with the ointment in.  made the mistake the other day of thinking i felt so well i didn't need any opiates and had a withdrawel that knocked me out worse than the pain...but when i realized what it was and took a small amount of oxycodone i was better...so be sure to wean off the painkillers!!
i think those are major things i've felt in the past few days....i'll update after appts. 
hope this post is answering some questions for someone...i want to help anyone who is stuck going through this as i was really frustrated beforehand. 

xx
carrie
ps. crockpot turkey is THE WAY to go!! mmmmmmmmmm
finally diagnosed 8/08

wcrimi

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 11:13:52 am »
Congratualations on your successful surgery.

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:44:22 pm »
Hey Carrie the dolphin kissing lady -- what a great recap!  Welcome to the postie world.  Hope all goes well with recovery.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 03:03:26 pm »
Hey Scarriegirl! Welcome to postieland--luuuuurves the pics and you def have me own fashion sense in scarves! Rest up, eat yer happy pills, and heal, heal, heal!

BTW, We needs a Dolphin Wrangler aboard the PBW over on the Good Morning thread down in the basement in the Community section. Ya interested?

Good healin' thoughts to ya!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »
Hey Carrie-

I don't know how I missed this post last week.  I LOVE your pictures and I must agree with Marci that you looked way too good for a recent postie!  Your recovery sounds about par for the course - just remember to take it easy.

all the best ...
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 10:26:04 am »
Hi Carrie,
You made it - whew - on the road to recovery. Rest, relax and take care of yourself. Great post!
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.