Author Topic: Head Tremors???  (Read 1522 times)

cin605

Head Tremors???
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:00:03 pm »
Anyone  have problems w/ there head shaking after removal of AN?
I have felt since surgery like my head is shaking back n forth i looked in mirror & could not see it but now its visibly shaking.
My primary physician wants to put me on beta blocker metoprolol?
Thanks Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Head Tremors???
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:54 pm »
Hi, Cindy:

I haven't experienced the head tremors you're dealing with but I would assume that some post-op AN patients have, at some point.  I didn't realize that metoprolol was helpful for controlling head tremors, but then, I'm not a doctor.  I can only hope (and will pray) that your head tremors lessen and soon disappear, whether through the use of this medication, another drug or spontaneously. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »
Cindy -

head tremors are a new one on me, but I'm interested to hear what your doctor has to say about them.

I hope they go away soon.

Please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:29:02 pm »
I get facial twitches which started about 2 weeks ago.  They're not bothersome to me but somewhat to others who see it.  I'm aware when it happens, but it's not bothersome (yet).  When asked, my doctor said that it was probably the muscle fibers "waking up" and they wouldn't do anything about it for another 6 months if they are bothersome at that time.  He said he would use botox injections to calm the twitches down if needed.  I take it you mean your head, not your face.  But, perhaps the same can be done with fewer side affects?

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cin605

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:59:50 pm »
Hi All,
just an update on this subject doctors do not seem to want to tell me much(big surprise)Dartmouth said they never heard of this after AN removal.
I went to AN patiant archives found exactly whats going on it is called titubation caused by damage to cerebellum.The longer the cerebellum is "pushed out of the way" to get at tumor the more chance of this happening occures.it could be permanet or temporary.I guess i am about to find out.at least i know whats up now.I printed the info & plan on taking it w/ me to Dartmouth for
6 month mri & appointment w/ nearo surgeon & ENT.Maybe i can teach them a few things!lol
Everyday i thank god for this site & all its info.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:42:27 pm »
Cindy -

it always amazes me what doctors haven't heard of after AN removal.  Perhaps that's because we all have different post op experiences  ???

I remember when I had double-vision post op and asked my neurotologist how long it would last.  He told me he wasn't sure; it could be permanent.  YIKES!!!  :o  Thankfully in my case it wasn't and was gone in 2 or 3 days.

I also asked him how common "that funny taste in my mouth" post op was and he wasn't sure of that either.  I found out on this forum that "metallic mouth" is quite common and should pass in time (mine eventually did).

IMO one of the great things about this forum is that we can educate each other - and in some cases, our doctors.

I hope your titubation is temporary; please keep us updated.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:53:49 am »
Cindy,
I'm glad to hear you got an answer to what is happening to you, even if you did have to find the answer yourself.  I'm not at all surprised the answer came from this forum.  It seems that we, as patients, are much better informed about the possible side effects of surgery than most docs are.  As Jan said though, it probably is because they can be so varied.  I hope this problem is just temporary and will be very interested to hear what the docs at Dartmouth have to say when you give them this information. 

Wishing you all the best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!