Author Topic: INTERESTING Medical Article November 2008 on ANs  (Read 2873 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
INTERESTING Medical Article November 2008 on ANs
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:47:06 pm »
This is a medical document online by an AN dr. in Texas. I found it informative and interesting. It would have been good to read pre-treatment  By the bibliography, it seems to be extenseively researched but of course - I am not medically trained.  ;)

Anyway, I just found this, thought others might be interested. It goes into all surgical radiosurgical and watch and wait. It also includes statistics, and descriptions.

http://www.emedicine.com/ent/TOPIC239.HTM

Take care,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
Re: INTERESTING Medical Article November 2008 on ANs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:05:14 pm »
Thanks! I just read the whole thing and looked up lots of medical terms. I feel like I actually know what's going on in there now :)

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:15:34 pm »
Wonderful article, Mary.

And strangely enough, I understood a lot of the medical terms - maybe because I've "been there"  ???

Anyway, there's a lot of great information in this article and I like the way it mentioned all treatment options, the statistics of side-effects, and even the BAHA.  The historical part was a nice touch too - shows just how far AN treatment has come through the years.

I also found it interesting that a lot of the disadvantages associated with my surgical approach (retrosigmoid) didn't pan out in my case (thankfully).  I guess it just reiterates what we always say "everyone is different".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:07:05 am »
Outstanding article, and one of the most comprehensive I've read to date. Thanks, Mary!

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:38:45 am »
Mary,
That is an excellent article.  Thanks for sharing.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:19:46 am »
Mary,

Thanks for posting that informative article; it really does a good job of summarizing the situation. I think we should all be eternally grateful that there are individuals who are willing to undergo years of medical school and extensive post-graduate training to gain expertise in this very specialized -- and probably not-so-"glamorous" -- field of medicine.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:34:34 am »
Hi,

I am glad you all found it as informative as I did. Because it was just published it is cutting edge info, I would think.

Take care!

Mary 8)
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

texsooner

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:55:16 am »
Mary, thanks a bunch for posting that article. I learned a lot from that. It's interesting to see the statistics and all the advantages/disadvantes laid out for all the treatment approaches. Guess I'm in the minority as my tinnitus has gotten worse since my surgery. However, I'm very pleased with my overall outcome and recovery thus far.
Thanks again.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

cin605

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:42:09 am »
This ws very interesting.Thanks for sharing.
I too am w/ patrick in the minority tinnitus is lots worst.Before it was one pitch now i never know whats going to come out of its tone!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:05:28 pm »
I am with you and Patrick, my tinitus is worse. Still high pitch + other assorted sounds. One of the joining sounds was like a waterfall...so that is where I pictured myself.  ;D That and my balance. My hearing was shot before hand. Both the other just mentioned symptoms were there pre=treatment but have steadily worsened, which they may have anyway, treatment or no treatment.

Have a good one!

Mary 8)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:32:39 pm »
Mary K.:

I appreciate your linking us to the article and although I've read many similar treatises about acoustic neuromas, I learned a few things.  One was that it verified my neurosurgeon's explanation of why he chose the retrosigmoid approach surgery...because this angle gave him a better view of the tumor and the nerves he wanted to avoid disturbing.  I never doubted him, but this somewhat technical medical article simply amplified his original, cogent explanation.  I see, again, that this is a very, very demanding operation and, again, leaves me with great respect for my neurosurgeon and all the other talented doctors that perform this surgery.  That my outcome was devoid of almost all the possible complications listed in the article was also gratifying.  Thanks again.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:17:09 pm »
Jim,

You are welcome. I am glad to know you have read many of these things before because it is reassuring that those that you read verified what it said.  :) I found this one much more all inclusive and readable than the others I had read - and it is current. I was excited about it because so much out there is piece mill and I can't decipher the "medicalese". :D I too learned a few things and some of my issues came into view better. Knowledge is strength. I liked the fact this article put the advantages and disadvantages to every approach, including watch and wait. It seems that some doctors feel if the tumor is no longer an issue, the approach is a "success". For some the side effects that can follow treatment should be considered. Some AN patients want best chance to preserve the facial nerve, some would like the best chance to save hearing or some may put balance as a top priority.

You are a great example of why retrosigmoid is good for some. My doctor told me the same thing. I did contact some doctors and they were not as thorough in their explanations. We are so lucky to live during a time where such advanced surgical and radiosurgical approaches make it more viable to treat.

Thank you for doing what you do so well here. Your input is always insightful.

Mary 8)

carter

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:12:15 pm »
the article was intersting and informative....  too bad that there was a bias towards surgery????  i wish the article explained ck anf gk to the depth that surgery was explored. 

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 10:30:29 am »
Carter,

I too wish there had been more about the radiosurgical procedures. You know from the article that their focus is more on surgical approaches. Having gone through CK it confirmed my choice for me, though. It is always good to remember the reasons for the chosen procedure. Each person has their own reasons that their choice is right for them.

Take care,

Mary 8)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »
Interesting about the middle fossa position contrindications--no one asked me if I had neck problems beforehand!  My surgery left me with neck problems to no end for many months afterward from the surgical position. Hmmmm......

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW