Author Topic: Here we go again - surgery scheduled for 1/29  (Read 2447 times)

Jwh

Here we go again - surgery scheduled for 1/29
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:06:51 pm »
I finally scheduled my surgery for 1/29 ) :  I had Retro. in 2001 and now I will have Translab  (hopefully this will be it)!  After I scheduled it this morning, I broke down in tears.  It is harder this time since I have little kids to think about.  I wish this was all behind me. 

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Here we go again - surgery scheduled for 1/29
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:09 pm »
Dear Jen,

I am so sorry you have to do this again! :(  Is this for another AN or more work on the last one?  Please know that we are in your corner if you need some moral support or a shoulder to cry on.  Having little ones that depend on you always makes things hard for a mom. 
Sending you hugs,
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:35:20 pm »
Hi Jen,
I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this once more.  Once is plenty if you ask me.  Tell me more about your story...
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:35:46 pm »
Hi Jen,

I looked up your past posts, and saw that you found about a regrowth a year ago, and found out it was growing and surgery would be needed back in July. Do you remember how you said you didn't feel anything when you heard the news back then? I think it has all caught up with you now.

If anyone is entitled to a serious groan, I think you are. Good grief! Once is more than enough. You have my sympathy, and hopes for a smooth surgery and recovery. It will all be behind you in a few more months. Hang in there.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LisaP

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 06:14:46 am »
Hi Jen

So sorry to hear that you are facing another surgery.   I'm on a watch and wait, next MRI is in Jan of 09.  This is my third and I am fearing bad news.   Take care, we are all here for you, please lean on us.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

LisaP :)

LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:23:22 am »
Hi Jen,
Now that I"ve read your past posts I remember you!  I hope you are holding up well enough, given the circumstances.  My thoughts are with you.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 07:11:15 am »
Jen,
I'm so sorry to hear you have to go though this again.  I have to agree that once is more than enough and sincerely hope this will be the last time you have to deal with your AN.  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wishing you the best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:37:42 am »
Jen:

Add me to the growing list of folks who not only wish you total success with your second AN surgery but also understand the emotions this second operation triggers.  As has been rightly stated: once is enough!  Unfortunately, the 'one cell left behind' risk is always there.  I'm sorry that the odds were not in your favor but will pray that this time, they really do 'get it all'.  Try to stay strong and certainly try to stay connected here.  We're on your side all the way and not only understand but are eager to support you in any way we can.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:03:28 am »
Jen,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 

Joann
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jwh

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:17:40 am »
Thank you so much for your responses  :D  I look forward to reading them and your great encouragement.  It's so nice to have a support system that really understands what your going through. 
Do you think the second surgery will be easier on me?  My doctor feels there shouldn't be any balance issues/  What are your thoughts?
Thanks a ton,
Jen

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 01:43:18 pm »
Jen,

One craniotomy is enough to last me a lifetime. I'm so sorry you have to go through this again. Please assemble your team of caretakers. Not only will you need them, but so will your little ones. I pray that your surgery will go as smooth as possible without complications and that you can be home with your family ASAP.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 01:52:02 pm »
Hi Jen-

Syl said it best - one craniotomy is enough - some might even say that one is one too many.  So sorry you are facing this for a second time.  Eve (Jerseygirl) had two surgeries so hopefully she will chime in - or you can search for her.  Like you, hers grew back.  I had the pleasure of meeting her in person earlier this year and she looks wonderful.

I will add my well wishes to everyone else's - you are not alone!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:41 pm »
Jen, I have been thru 3 surgeries on one side.   The mid fossa in 2001 and then the facial neuroma in 2006  which was translab plus the nerve taken from by my ear so the incision was longer.      It was not any worse at all  in my case and feel was a bit easier.  Dr was right about no balance issues to throw it off.        I was so sleepy past the 2001 one and not the translab.           It all depends on that ol talk of ours of tumor size and location too.      I remember having the usual 2 weeks weak and tired and just starting to do better when had the CSF leak.             Do not let this scare you at all.          Mine was due to the Univ of Iowa using a new cheaper colloidal implant that didn't hold things together inside well after all.            3 people got leaks.
I had people tell me that they just said that to you but I know too well with being a nurse how purchasing depts do change products any chance they can get.           Wound care products are a very good example!                I felt worse then after the leak surgery just as was more tired and having had 2 so close together.         Very depressing.      Plus not knowing how long the facial paralysis would last.             This was the facial neuroma and not the regular AN aso it should be even easier for you.                   This time around we do know how it all will be which makes it easier.      One knows better that it will improve in time which that first time we sure wonder if it ever will.           Plus knowing what adjustments to make at home helps too.
I wish you well and think positive.       We will all be thinking of you.
                                               Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jwh

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 07:42:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind words and taking the time to write back to me.  It is much appreciated.
Jen

Keri

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 10:07:55 pm »
Hi Jen,
I'm new to this forum. I just found out a couple of months ago about my AN.
You posted on December 1 that you were going to have surgery January 29. On Dec 1, my surgery was also scheduled for January 29. So, I'll be praying for you and for me as well!
I haven't been through any of this before. I'm not scared yet, but am sure I will be when the time gets a bit closer.
But anyway, on January 29 I'll be thinking about you, your kids and family.

Keri
I'll be at Univerysity of Maryland at Baltimore with Dr. Eisenman and Dr. Eisenberg
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!