Author Topic: Saying thank you  (Read 2310 times)

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
Saying thank you
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:10:26 am »
Yesterday I went to see the Infectious Diseases Doctor for the last time :). Whilst I was at the hospital I went to see the nurses that had looked after me for the two weeks I was in ICU. They were absolutely thrilled to see me up and about and doing so well. It gave them a huge boost to their moral. One nurse, who was about the only one I could remember from the foggy memories of being in ICU, Mary said she got goose bumps seeing me.

I then went up to the Rehabilitation floor where I had spent my last week in hospital. I saw the senior nurse on the floor first who was very pleased to see how well I was doing. She took me round to the 'gym' to see the people there who had helped me get back on my feet and walking again. I then went to the 'occupational therapy' room and saw four of the people there who where also pleased to see how ell I was doing including one of the Doctor's. Everyone I met on this floor were pleased to see how well I was doing. Another moral booster I suspect.

I felt it was the least I could do to say thank you and I do plan some return visits to try and see other nurses who did such a tremendous job of looking after me during my initial stay for my AN removal (99%) and my subsequent stay for the MRSA infection.

If any of you are able to do this I highly recommend doing it. For me it was a step towards closure because I have very little real
memory of being in ICU due to the horrendous hallucinations I was having (possible ICU phsycosis was suggested).

Kit
Don't let jealousy get a hold of you. If it does it will ruin the rest of your life.

My mind often wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
Do I look like I care!

5cm+ AN removed 9/11/08. Dr Tairq Javed. Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, GA

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: Saying thank you
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:01:32 am »
Well done of you Kit!

Your walk gave a lot of boosts not only to them, but also to you!!
It is always great to see someone improving after someone's help!!

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:01 pm »
Kit:

What a splendid concept...to pay a visit to the hospital nurses that took care of you while you were there.  I'm almost ashamed to admit that the idea never crossed my mind.  Probably because I was anxious to be out of the hospital, don't especially care to visit hospitals and always assumed that I was simply one of hundreds of patients the ICU nurses care for each year and they wouldn't even remember me.

Now, I feel I was a bit remiss about never going back to say 'thanks', even though I did receive good care and the ICU nurses were very kind to my wife, who slept in the nurses lounge for 3 nights while I was there.  Of course, we did thank everyone on the floor when I was discharged but it was a rather hasty good-bye because I wanted to get out before my doctor changed his mind about releasing me in less than 5 days (he had said - pre-op - that I would be in hospital for a week).  No matter Kit, you certainly did the right thing in re-visiting the ICU floor and not only thanking the nurses and staff, but, by doing so, bringing closure to your experience.  Good job! :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:28:49 pm »
I share Jim's admiration for your act of gratitude. I am sure you not only made some people's day, you made their week, and perhaps their month. Well done!

It is a great idea, and one that I hope others will pick up on. One of these days I will have to go down to Stanford again, and see if I can do the same.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:45:02 pm »
Kit,

I've thought about the people that cared for me at the hospital, especially nurse Arlene from the ICU. She was the overnight nurse, so it makes it impossible to catch her during normal business hrs. Nurse Arlene was an angel. Most of my time in the ICU was spent taking trips in and out of consciousness, but everytime I looked up, she was there, readily available for whatever I might need. There were other wonderful and caring people at the hospital, but she's the one that stands out in my mind. I would love to visit her and let her know how much I appreciate her.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:12:43 pm »
Whenever anyone in my family has been in the hospital and has gotten good care (thankfully, that's most times!), we always made sure to bring a big box of chocolates, a tray of cookies from the bakery or something everyone could share and leave it at the nurse's station as a thank you.  What can I say, we Italians just love fattening people up!  Only once, recently for a non-AN related issue, did I not leave anything - and they're lucky because whatever I might have left would not have been nice!  Bad experience!

When I went to see my surgeon for my check up after my BAHA surgery, I had baked Christmas cookies for them - you would have thought these people hadn't eaten in a year the way they went at those cookies!  They definitely appreciate the little things.

As a nurse, I have to say though, that the best thank you is you actually going home.  That sounds mean, but to me it means you're doing better, I've done my job and you're going to get to sleep in your own bed and get on with your life.  Although I've never turned down the aforementioned chocolates or cookies!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:54:32 am »
Kit -

thanking those who helped you is a great idea and I want to encourage others to do the same.

After my surgery I wrote personal thank you notes to my neurosurgeon, my neurotologist, my neurotological intern, and my anesthesiologist.  I also made donations in the names of my neurosurgeon and my neurotologist to the Acoustic Neuroma Association and decided to become a sponsor of the 2009 symposium.

On the anniversary of my AN surgery, I again wrote thank you's to my neurosurgeon and neurotologist and made donations in their names to the hospital where I had my AN surgery.  I hope to follow this practice on an annual basis.

In addition, I make a monthly donation to a program that my neurotolgoist is the director of, that helps children with hearing issues and provides them with BAHAs and Cochlear implants, in honor of my BAHA surgery.

To me it's important not only to honor these great docs, but to help others who are going through what I went through.  In a way it also serves to memorialize my experience and honor myself.  It also makes me feel fabulous.

I'm not a rich woman - far from it.  I'm currently supporting myself and two growing children - but I do what I can when I can.

I think Lori's idea of baking cookies or bringing chocolates and your idea of visiting and offering personal thanks are also stellar ideas.  I don't think it's what we do that shows our thanks, I just think it's important to express it. 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:38:34 am »
Kit~

I, too, went back several times (when I was in town for check-ups) but my favorite nurse - & really the one who took the best care of me and answered all our questions - was on the night shift so I didn't get to see her.  I did tell Ms. Maggie to ask for - even though that was a LONG time ago!!

Another thing, at our hospital here, they have little cards that you fill out for "Star Service" - I found out from a friend at church that works there that if they get mentioned on a card, they get a gift card for the cafeteria.  It doesn't seem like much, but it is a big deal to them.  We should all  remember this the next time we are in the hospital and see if that hospital has some program like this.

Jan~  Way to be an inspiration - those are GREAT things!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 08:48:29 pm »
Jan~  Way to be an inspiration - those are GREAT things!!

Yeah, well you know me; always an over-achiever  :-[

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:53 pm »
Jan,

I have to say I am truly impressed.  I've always done the cookie or sandwich thing for the nurses when I've been in the hospital.  It's good to say thank you and show your appreciation for people who take such good care of you.  I'm seeing Dr. Choe for my pre-op visit next week and plan to make a tray of cookies for them to share and one for him, either to bring home or share.  I'm also making him a cookie tree that I make for the special people in my life (it's made of several different sized  star shaped  linzer tarts that are stacked to look like a Christmas tree and is really quite beautiful, as well as good to eat).  Your generosity truly is an inspiration.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 12:26:44 am »
Just wanted to mention an experience I had.  You know that turban thing that you have to wear on your head?  Remember how tight it was?
I had a nurse come in, and that was at the same time my surgeon came in.  This nurse said "doctor, could you please clip a small notch in the turban with your scissors"?
He said "sure" and did it.  After the doctor left, I really thanked that nurse, and said "that is the nicest thing that someone has done for me since I've been here"!!
She got the biggest smile on her face, and said "really"?  I said "yes"........she then told me that that is the thing patients complain about the most, is how tight it is.
She walked out of my room with a big smile on her face.
I really meant it tho.  I didn't know they could cut little notches in it.  But, the fact remained that she cared enough to ask the doctor to do that.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.