Author Topic: Symposium schedule  (Read 4065 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Symposium schedule
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:28:46 am »
Just noticed this morning that the symposium schedule has been posted on the main page of this website.

Michael Gates Gill author of How Starbucks Saved My Life is speaking.  I found this very exciting, as I've read his book.

There are also obviously many others speaking - including both my docs - so I'm really looking forward to attending.

Looks like a great meeting  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Symposium schedule
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:16:34 pm »
I am going to do everything in my power to head east and go. Looks like a fantastic line up of presenters!

Way to go organizers! :)

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:59 pm »
That's great.  But I have to admit I'm more excited about meeting my fellow forumites... ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:16 pm »
We need some sort of I.D. form to identify each other. 
Last symposium I passed out pirate scarves.  This time there are way too many of us!  We could all wear, lets say, leopard print something--like in the magic scarf! I have some leopard print spandex pants left over from the 80's but yech who wants to see that. The best part of last times sympsium was definitely meeting up with the forumettes and forumeers. That and discovering my beloved Topamax. This year I'm bound and determined to get a dance with Dr Rick!

1-3-5-7-9!
Chicago 09's gonna be mighty fine!

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:24:07 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 01:26:45 pm »
I read that book too and loved it - it'll be great to meet the author!  I hope he brings coffee!   :D

Ok, here's how you can recognize me -  :-\ - I look like this.  But at least I won't be the only one for a change!   ;D

I guess pirate eye patches wouldn't be a good idea since we wouldn't know who was wearing it out of necessity and who was trying to be recognized!

Maybe Hawaiian leis?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:38 pm »
It will be fun to see how many of us are repeats of past symposiums.                Everyone will know Capt Deb!           Forget the leopard print though.        Just not my style!!!   
The list of sessions is super and I see some that have not been presented in such a manner and very useful to many.         
I do wish the bag we get would be a canvas one and not the lighter weight material that it has been.     Hey, Jan, what can you do about any suggestion to the symposium organizer?         It is a different one than the last 2 times.             
The hotel rate is higher than past ones too so everyone start saving your pennies!
                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 02:17:34 pm »
Trust me, me in leopard spandex would NOT be a pretty sight  :o  I have  had twins you know - okay, never mind that they will be 13 1/2 by the time the symposium gets here  ::) LOL

We definitely need something to identify ourselves.  I'd say we could all wear knit hats compliments of Steve, but I'm not quite sure he'll be done knitting by August.

I didn't notice the hotel rates yet, but I know The Drake is usually pretty pricey.  Even with a group discount I'd imagine they aren't cheap.

As for the bags, Cheryl, I can put a word in with the good folks at the ANA, but I'm not sure how much weight I have with them.  Maybe Phyl could mention the bags also, she's probably got a lot more influence than I do.

The speaker topics sound great and my docs are doing talks I'm definitely interested in.  My neurotologist is scheduled to talk about What's New in Hearing Restoration After Surgery  - and even though I currently sport a BAHA I wouldn't miss a talk by him for the world  ;)  My neurosurgeon is talking about Recurrent tumors/Radiation failures which is also something I'd like to know more about.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:26:24 pm »
Okay, just found the room rates - not too bad for The Drake.

Wonder about dress code though - most of The Drake's clientele don't wear cut-offs and flip flops  :P

Saw some info about registration, the early bird discount, etc., but didn't see how much registration actually is.  Anyone know  ???

Jan

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 03:49:03 pm »
I am thinking it was $165 last time so bet it'll be a bit higher.         I am sure the hotel rate is cheaper than their usual but just wish was even cheaper.         
The attire has been dressy causal so no flip flops.      The banquet is dressy up and I'll be wearing the same dress I wore last time.     Hasn't been wore since.     
                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »
No flip flops?? What kind of place is this???   >:(

That's it - I'm going to suggest the next symposium is in Key West. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:54 pm »
We are so hoping to go but have realized that it is the same weekend that we "sometimes" take a family trip (Dave's WHOLE family!) - it is such a great time for the girlies to be with their cousins & grandparents.  I am trying to think of a creative way to find out this early if we are going this year or not (w/out getting them to nix it b/c of us!).  We went this past summer so there is a good chance that we won't go this year.  However, if we go, you know that the ONLY reason is to meet all of you guys (& hear the Starbucks guy)!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 08:27:17 pm »
Lori,
The shopping in Key West is not as good as Chicago. (Well, it's good, it's just...different.)  But of course, there is the ocean in Florida to consider.  Does the ANA take suggestions?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:14:31 pm »
Thanks for the info, Cheryl.

$165 or thereabouts isn't bad at all - thought it would be much, much more.  Although I'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to pay much to travel - only a short "L" ride for me.

And while I'm not too thrilled with dressy casual, I guess it's better than dressy dressy  :D

I'm all for Key West - let's get our votes in early.  The airfare is usually pretty exorbitant, but it would be well worth it.  We'd have to change the date to some time in winter though; I'd imagine August in Key West would be quite toasty.

Actually I think they pick the place for the symposium based on who (which doctor or medical group) is going to be sponsoriing it.  I'd really like to see Texas - anyone know some doctors who want to spring for the 2011 shindig?

Kaybo, I hope you can make it!!

Marci, we may not have an ocean, but the lake is cool and there are some really great cruises on it.  I went on an architectural boat tour of the city via the lake and the Chicago River last summer and it was fantastic. 

Jan

MAlegant

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 06:01:19 am »
Jan,
I love Chicago, so no worries there.  What about Cleveland as a possible destination?  The folks at Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals perform many AN surgeries.  And we DO have the rock and roll hall of fame.  :D
M

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 10:20:05 am »
I grew up in Cleveland! The mistake on the Lake! Actually Parma Heights and North Royalton.  I was "Miss North Royalton!" Hee-hee-hee! I vote Cleveland for the next one.  Then Key West!

Capt Deb
celebrating 200pages and 3000posts of utter nonsense and laughter on the gm thread
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW