Author Topic: MRI Question  (Read 3114 times)

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
MRI Question
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
I'm going in for another MRI tomorrow to check for growth. The scheduler people at the MRI facility told me not to take anything by mouth for 2 hours before the scan, but when I was there the last time, the MRI tech had problems finding a vein to use for the contrast and harped on me about not drinking enough water. I said to him, well it's hard when you can't eat or drink for 2 hours before the scan, and he said that you don't have to do that.

So I'm not sure what to do. The front desk people tell me not to eat or drink, but the tech person said it was fine. My scan is at 8:30 tomorrow morning, so if I don't eat or drink for two hours before it, I'm pretty much going to be dehydrated when I get there, no question.

What do you guys think? Did you have restrictions when you get an MRI? For the record, I haven't had any issues with claustrophobia or nausea or anything like that from the MRI or the contrast agent, so if it's just that they don't want me to throw up, I don't think that's a problem.

Thanks,
Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:34:03 pm »
Kim:

I've never been told not to eat or drink for 2 hours before an MRI scan - and I've had 8 in the past 2½ years.  Like you, I don't experience claustrophobia, nausea or any other problems sometimes associated with an MRI scan.  I often have a cup of coffee and/or a small glass of water within an hour of my MRI.  This has never been a problem.  Based on my experience, which is all I have, I would follow the MRI tech's direction to drink something within an hour of the MRI.  I think the person who actually administers the apparatus would know more than a person simply making appointments.  My guess is the 'no drinking or eating for 2 hours' rule was established some time ago and is no longer necessary - but no one has thought to tell the scheduling people, who are still reading from the old script.  You might mention this to the MRI tech because, if he wants patients to be hydrated before the MRI, this old rule should be addressed and corrected by whomever is in charge of setting policy. 

By the way, Kim ~ I wish you an easy MRI session and no growth.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:39:41 pm »
Kim,

I've never heard of that rule either.  In fact, the place I go for my MRI's has coffee, tea, bottled water and snacks right in the waiting room.  I don't think they'd put that there if you weren't allowed to have it.

I'd say trust the tech more than the front desk people.

Hope it goes well and you hear good news!! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:41:47 pm »
Kim -
I thought I'd add my two cents worth -- I've had three MRIs and never been told  not to eat or drink for two hours before the test.  I can't imagine why they would tell you that. 

Good luck,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
I agree with the what the others are saying.  No metal is all I've ever been told.  Eat, drink and be merry, because we don't know why the tech told you that!  I couldn't eat before I had GK, but that's different. 

Anyway, hope it goes well for you this time.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »
Kim~
I have been getting MRI's since 1995 and I have NEVER been told not to drink before the scan.  I drink whatever I want and then I just make sure I go to the bathroom right before they stick me in!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

satman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:25:06 am »
hi kim, they also told me that, and when i asked why they said because the contrast makes some people sick to thier stomach.
as we all know the mri can take up to 45 minutes and if you get sick they will have to start over and this can cause conflicts with other patients schedules and of course the hospitals money.
my last mri bill was 2100.00 dollars,thank heaven for insurance.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !