Author Topic: Brain stem cells could be transplanted to cure hearing loss  (Read 1581 times)

chocolatetruffle

Brain stem cells could be transplanted to cure hearing loss
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:29:02 pm »
just want to share this interesting read on stem cells to treat hearing loss - amazing, the leaps and bounds of technology!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/3684290/Brain-stem-cells-could-be-transplanted-to-cure-hearing-loss-say-scientists.html
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: Brain stem cells could be transplanted to cure hearing loss
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:03:50 pm »
this article is very promising!! esp for those like me who are SSD!!
but i doubt i would undergo another surgery voluntarily!!  :D enough for this season!  ;D
thank you for sharing it!!
x
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »
Won't work for those of us w/ post-op SSD, esp. trans-lab. We are missing more than cochlear hair cells!!!. It seems mainly for age related hearing loss, or loud noise ear damage.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 06:58:06 pm »
I tell people my ear lobe is like window dressing/curtains on a wall without a window !  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:14:31 pm »
Won't work for those of us w/ post-op SSD, esp. trans-lab. We are missing more than cochlear hair cells!!!. It seems mainly for age related hearing loss, or loud noise ear damage.

Thanks for the clarification - and the medical opinion, Sam.  I was getting false hopes reading this article.  Guess I'll have to just stick with my BAHA.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 03:15:00 pm »

Thanks for the clarification - and the medical opinion, Sam.  I was getting false hopes reading this article.  Guess I'll have to just stick with my BAHA.

Jan

Having read the artical I too have to agree with sam its not the ear hairs that are damaged its more than that, like myself the nerve has been completely removed as my tumour had basically grown all around the nerve, in fact the ear hairs still work perfectly.....ever had tinnitus or that horrible zzzzeeeeerrrrrrrrring noise that makes you jump about 5ft in the air, thats because the ear hairs are still picking up vibrations.

Interesting artical though, who knows mmaybe in the future they will have a cure for us ANers too.
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:43:00 am »
Well, I'm no doctor - but Sam is - so I just figured he wasn't leading us astray  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways