Author Topic: New York Area ANers  (Read 8657 times)

cindyj

Re: New York Area ANers
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 03:31:14 pm »
Great get together, you guys!  The blurry picture is no problem - Willie said you were all swaying...well, we're all swaying as we look at it, so it looks perfectly normal!

Thanks for posting it, Debbi!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
Boy, what a GREAT group of people--I'm so glad I went and met everyone. I can't say how much more confident I feel about my upcoming surgery after lunching with this group. For me, to sit and talk and laugh with a group who have experienced what I am going through now is so helpful. I'm soooo glad I went.

Thanks everyone for the good company, and thanks Debbi for putting this together.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Mickey

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 03:59:00 pm »
Had a great time! To get an AN is not being lucky but one of the lucky things that comes about having one is to meet and know such great people. I count my blessings for that. By the way I got unlucky with a parking ticket. (TRAP) You worry about getting robbed on the subway so you take your car and get robbed by the city. Ha Ha! Just a little twist I`d do it all over again to have such a nice day!  Mickey and Pat

jerseygirl

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 07:54:45 pm »
Had a wonderful time! Glad that snow did not ruin our plans!

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Dawn

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »
Looks like fun, hopefully next time I can make it.  You are all brave for weathering the snow.

Wendy glad to see you were able to make it so soon after your surgery....and without the head wrap..lol
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 08:22:26 pm »
Well, I think we can safely say that our acoustic neuromas may be removed, but congeniality and senses of humor remain very much intact! I had a great time at the NY area lunch today -- thanks for organizing it, Debbi -- and it was wonderful to meet such a great group of folks. We had quite a few milestones to celebrate, which made the occasion even more special. I'm looking forward to getting together again, and I hope that we'll have an even larger group next time!

It was fun being in the city on a "snowy day" and I'm glad to report that I made it back to my train with just a couple of minutes to spare. It reminded me of my days of commuting into New York, and I'm happy that I haven't lost the ability to zip through Penn Station quickly. Hope that everyone made it back home safely, without encountering too much snow. We got about an inch or two here at the Jersey Shore.

Thank you again, Debbi, for a fun afternoon, and best wishes to everyone.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:11 am »
Looks like a great bunch and a great time!  Glad you all could do it!  Thanks for posting the pic, Debbi.  Blurry or not, I could still make out faces.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:26 am »
Isn't that what everyone looks like anyway, if you have those drops in your eyes?  :D

Looks like you all had a fine lunch, it would have been fun to join you. Neal you are lucky, I wish I had been to an ANA lunch back when I was a pre-postie. More best wishes for your upcoming surgery, and to everyone else too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 08:09:54 am »
well, we did get the storm (thanks for trying to blow it away, Debbi!) but, thrilled it didn't interfere with your get-together! Looks like you all had a fabulous time and thrilled everyone enjoyed! Nothing like a bit of laid back atmosphere, filled with food, good talk and cheer and more food to bring the AN gang together! :) 

Thanks for sharing this!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wcrimi

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 09:27:54 am »
It looks and sounds like everyone had a great time. Hopefully I can make it next time.  Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 10:20:03 am »
We missed you, Wayne!  Lets start looking at calendars for April for our next get-together?

Meanwhile, I am making a big loaf of wheat walnut bread - it's on its second rise right now.  Willie and I spent the morning clearing our driveway and walkways and he is now off to his parents to finish clearing their property.  I am thinking he'll appreciate a nice hunk of bread, warm from the oven, when he gets home...

Stay warm, everyone!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jtd71465

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 12:40:37 pm »
Great time yesterday in meeting old and making new friends.  I look forward to April for two reasons, another lunch and warmer weather.  Maybe we could do a summer meeting pool-side @ my house.

Joe

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

wendysig

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »
Hi Joe -
It was  great to see you yesterday.  A summertime poolside get together sounds great and that's a very generous offer!  I'll be the first to say I would love to come!  I still owe you that drink for your ANniversary so I'll bring something good -- let me know what your favorite drink is and I'll supply it! 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 08:44:09 pm »
Debbi,

Thanks for sharing the pic of your NY area get together! Looks like a wonderful group and a great time!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »
Joe has a pool?  Heck, maybe the NY Area Aners will be expanded by a few forumites this summer.  I'm up for a vacation  ;)

Great picture, Debbi.  Didn't look at all blurry to me - I just squinted like I do when I forget to put on my glasses  :D  It's great that everyone had such a good time and I think it's very interesting that Wendy knew Mickey's wife. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways