Author Topic: Doctor References...Please  (Read 6214 times)

Dawn

Doctor References...Please
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:35:14 pm »
I have had a consult with Dr. Selesnick and Dr. Steig at NY Presbyterian Hospital, just wondering if anyone on this site has had surgery with them and how their outcome was....

Please send all comments good or bad.

I hear a lot about the House Ear Inst. in california but I would not be able to afford to go out there for a surgery, so any suggestions in the NY area would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays To all!!!!

Thanks
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Doctor References...Please
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:17:23 am »
Dawn -

I don't know anything about Dr. Selesnick & Dr Steig, but then again I live in Illinois.

And I totally understand what you are saving about HEI.  I had never heard of them prior to joining this forum, but there is no way I could have afforded to travel all the way to California.  Thankfully I found some incredible doctors right in my own backyard. 

Just wanted to chime in and say that a lot of forumites in your area used Drs. Roland & Golfinos and seem to be very satisfied with them.  If you are looking for a second opinion, you might want to check them out.

Good luck to you,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dawn

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 06:34:54 am »
Thank you Jan.

There is so much stress involved with this Diagnosis.....first which treatment to chose, wait and watch or surgery as I was told by a fe docs that radiation is not recommended....then you have to decide which procedure is best for you, then picking a doctor that you feel confident in.

I loved Dr. Selesnick he was so informative and spent time explaining in detail all the procedures and options.

This is such a roller coaster ride.......AND I HATE ROLLER COASTERS!!!  LOL

Thanks for all the support.
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:50:44 pm »
Hi, Dawn - and welcome.

Try this link to our 'Physicians' forum - where some NYC area doctors that specialize in AN removal surgery are listed.  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=6.0.

I'm sure some of our New York-area members will also chime in with doctor recommendations, based on their experience. 

Jim
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:24:47 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:05 pm »
Dawn -

I know the ups and downs of the AN journey well; been there done that  ;)

If you are comfortable with Dr. Selesnick and he has the proper qualifications and experience, you might not want to look any farther.  IMO, sometimes too many opinions make the decision-making process that much harder.

Everyone is different, but I only consulted with one doctor (a neurotologist) before deciding on retrosigmoid surgery.  I found I had all the faith in the world in him - and in the neurosurgeon who was the other half of my surgical team.  I had an excellent outcome and don't think any other doctor(s) could have done a better job for me.

I always say, go with your gut.  So if your gut says Dr. Selesnick, IMO you should stick with him.

Just my two cents worth,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dawn

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »
Thanks Jan,

I guess my biggest problem now is trying to figure out if I should wait or just get it out.  It is very small now, but I know it will grow....I kinda feel like a walking time bomb.

I'm so confused about what to do??????

I appreciate all your 2 cents....feel free to add all you like...lol

Thanks

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:53 am »
Dawn,

Welcome to our group.  Sorry you have to be here, but I'm sure you will find this forum a wonderful source of information and compassion.  I don't know Drs. Selesnick and Steig.   I am also in NY and was very happy with my doctors.  Dr. Choe (my neurotologist) is absolutely wonderful and although no one can guarantee anything, I had a wonderful outcome.  Although I am SSD, that was expected before surgery -- my speech discrimination was only 24% so he used the translabyrinthine approach.  Besides that I have some minor balance issues, but no facial dysfunction or other problems.  If you would like to see him I will PM his information to you.  He is affiliated with Mount Sinai and has offices in New Jersey and on the upper east sde of Manhattan.  My neurosurgeon is Chun S. Chen and is an attending neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai.  He was written up in New York Magazine earlier this year as one of the tops docs in his field.   Also a very nice person and wonderful doctor.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 12:42:56 am »
Hi Dawn,
Sorry to see you here, but you are with a great group of people!!!!!  I am 6 months post op. 
These people helped me so much before my surgery and after.  I'm so glad you found this site.
PLUS....they are giving you doctors names, just liked you wanted.  Just wait, and a few more will post, I'm sure.Go
Like someone said....Jan, I think, go with your gut feeling on the doctor.  I ended up doing exactly what the doctor said I should do.
It depends on your age, how big the tumor is, the locaation, etc.  If yours is small, and the doctor recommends it, then maybe you can watch and wait.
It's your decision in the end. 
Please feel free to come in and ask any questions you want.  I'm sure someone can answer them.
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

jtd71465

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 07:34:40 am »
Hi Dawn-

I had surgery with Dr's Roland and Golfinos from NYU, my recommendation is that you include them in your consultations.  If you would like more information about my "experience" check out the PM I sent you it contains my home phone number.  Call me anytime.

Joe-

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 05:48:23 pm »
Dawn -

seems I'm full of 2 cents lately  ;D so here's my take on watching and waiting.

It can be a very good option, but IMO you have to be the "right kind" of person to watch and wait.

I know that personally, being the control freak I am, I would have not been a good candidate for watching and waiting.  In my case, it would have very quickly changed to "worrying and stressing".  I'm the kind of person who deals with things in a very black & white manner and I couldn't have comfortably sat back and done nothing about my AN for any amount of time.  In fact, I made my treatment decision and scheduled my surgery about 6 weeks after my diagnosis. 

That said, lots of forumites watch and wait and it works well for them.

If you should decide to watch and wait, you should be open-minded enough to change your opinion if your symptoms get worse.  Although ANs are typically very slow growing, if you find that your hearing is getting worse, or you are experiencing pain in your face, or headaches, etc., you should re-examine your treatment decision.  Basically don't let your symptoms get too far along, because sometimes they can't be reversed through treatment. 

Do what is right for you; just make sure you are informed of all your options.  As Lacey said, if watch and wait is for you, I'm sure your doctor will make it one of his recommendations.

Jan

wcrimi

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 08:52:53 pm »
Dawn,

I had surgery with Dr Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt Sinai in NYC. 

Both are highly regarded.

I am 7 weeks post surgery, had no complications related to surgery, and am slowly getting better. Dr. Post was able to save my hearing. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 02:13:25 pm »
HI Dawn-

And, a very belated welcome!  I wasn't around here much over the holidays, so completely missed this post.  I can't add to the excellent list of doctors you've been given.  I had surgery with Golfinos/Roland; but I know that the others mentioned here are equally qualified.  When you think about it, we are all quite forunate to be living in a metropolitan area with not one but several escellent, qualified AN treatment teams. 

To echo what others have already said - take your time to make sure you have the right treatment team for YOU; and the right treatment choice.  For me, the early days after diagnosis were the hardest.  Like Jan, and many others here, I'm a bit of a control freak and not having a decisive plan of attack initially was terribly stressful.  I did start to calm down once I'd made the choice of surgeons and locked in a date. 

If you want to talk at any point, just PM me with your phone number.  And, meanwhile, remember to keep breathing!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

marymomof3

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:49:12 pm »
Hi Dawn.  I was Diagnosed last January with a 1.8 AN and had it removed by Drs. Roland and Golfinos.  I met with several doctors in the area - just my personality.  As a self proclaimed control freak, I have to know everything.
Anyway, if you want to talk, I am available.  I will send you a PM with my number.
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Dawn

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:55:49 pm »
Just want to say thank you all for your help and your words of encouragement.

I am planning a second opinion with Dr. Kalmon Post.  I did like Dr. Selesnick but didn't discuss surgical options.  He had mentioned the translab which would guarantee SSD I am wondering why he didn't mention the retrosig ( i think I have those right but if not you guys know what I mean..lol)

I am also a little bit hesitant as I haven't seen that many comments about Dr. Selesnick.  It is nice to hear success stories about someone who may operate on your Brain...lol

I saved the phone numbers that some of you sent and I may be calling one day when I'm ready to decide on what to do

Thanks
Dawn

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:04 pm »
Dawn -

Dr. Selesnick may not have mentioned the retrosig because although it gives you a chance of saving your hearing, it's not a huge chance.  They also say that the retrosigmoid approach gives you a greater risk of facial nerve damage than the translab approach.

I had retrosig and I ended up SSD, but have no facial nerve damage.  I had slight damage post op, but was given a dose of steroids while I was in the hospital and it went away never to return.

Jan