Author Topic: flu shot ?  (Read 3822 times)

satman

flu shot ?
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:15:58 am »
do any of you guys get flu shots ?
i am post an and currently have a meningioma [sp ?] and want to get a flu shot but not sure if it's safe.
i had read that if you have a nuero disorder then you should not get the shot.
please chime in with your thoughts. thanks,john
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

wendysig

Re: flu shot ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:32:27 am »
Hi Satman,

I got a flu shot three weeks ago from my GP with no ill effects.   He knew about my AN surgery and didn't say anything to me about it being a problem.  I didn't ask my neurotologist if this would be a problem because it didn't occur to me.  My GP thought it was a good idea because I am scheduled for BAHA surgery next month.  Even though I am fine, I would suggest you check with your doc if you are hesitant.  Just out of curiosity, where did you read that you shouldn't have a flu shot if you have neuro problems and what were the reasons given?

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 06:38:47 am »
I have had a flu shot every year and I am a 7 yr veteran.       I have a feeling we are not a true neuro problem and it may mean diseases like MS or Parkinsons etc.             I have never had any reactions.
                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

satman

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:11:10 am »
great, hey wendy,i read it at work,they arrange flu shots for us at work and then they post disclaimers like, if your allergic to eggs you should not get the shot,etc,etc. and the memo also said if you have nuero issues you should not get the shot,so i didnt get it which i think i might regret that later but like cheryl said, i think they are probably talking about different types of nuero issues.
it might not have been a bad decision afterall, now i'm hearing the vaccine will not work on the type of strain thats going around this year, at least in dallas.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:35:26 am »
Yes.. I get my fly shots every year... I'm lucky, they get them out free at work.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:19:52 pm »
I've gotten my flu shot both years since my AN surgery - no problems.  And no flu!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mk

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 12:45:03 pm »
This question came up on the cyberknife forum recently. The doctors said that having the flu shot while being on steroids might reduce its effectiveness - otherwise no concerns.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:20:10 am »
I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot every year for the flu and every other for the other.  I have MS along with the An and my doctors tell me the risks are far greater to get the flu and pneumonia than it is to have side affects unless you are allergic to eggs..  I enjoy being flu free and pn free!  I used to get the pn every year and it was wearing me out and my lungs!!!

Brenda
(in case you didn't notice my spelling of the PN is the pitts)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:50:42 am »
Hi,
My primary care doc gave me the flu shot and we talked about the neurological disorders thing first.  She assured me that this does not apply to AN's, but other conditions. 
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 04:33:05 am »
I've gotten flu shots just about every year for the last 20 years, including 2 since surgery and never had a problem. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Jackie

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 07:02:12 pm »
Guess it's my turn to chime in as I have gotten my flu shot and I have an untreated AN, I also have a small Meningioma, and I have an Aneurysm! No ill effects at all from the flu shot and I get them every year! Now I am feeling like I am at an auction! Do I hear number 4??

Blessings to everyone!!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:05:10 am »
I didn't get a flu shot yet.....but last the last 2 weeks, I've had pneumonia!!   :(
I got a real bad cold the day after thanksgiving.......and by tuesday was feeling really crappy.  So I did go see my doctor.  He listened to my chest, and said "I think you have pneumonia down there".  I said "WHAT"?????  I figured bronchitis.  He had x-rays take-n, and yes it was.  I was down in bed for 2 weeks.  My hubby didn't sleep with me.....he didn't want to get a cold.....so he slept on the couch!  A few nights I couldn't sleep....so I got my computer out, and brought in my credit card.....and shopped away!!!!!!  ha.  Actually one thing I got in the mail, I DO NOT remember ordering!!!!  Had to send it back.  ha.  I must have really been out of it.H
My hubby took the credit card out of the bedroom now!  He's a spoilsport, right?  ha.  I was having fun.  Except for when I get my statement in the mail..........then I won't be smiling.  But, I did get some christmas gifts!!
I did go back last Friday, and he took more x-rays, and my lungs are better.  I'm still wheezing some...and coughing, but the doctor said the cough could hang on as long as 5 or 6 weeks!!
So, go get those shots, people!
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Sam Rush

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:41:45 pm »
You should not get a Flu shot if you have had or have guillian-Barre syndrome, a rare but serious neuro disorder, which they thought was a side effect of flu-vacc in 1968 and 1972, or if you are allergic to eggs. AN's are not a contra-indication to Flu- vacc.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 01:57:34 pm »
For what it's worth, I've gotten a flu shot pre-surgery (about 6 months before) and post- surgery (about 6 months after) and haven't had any unusual side affects. 

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager