Author Topic: Bad Weather  (Read 9094 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Bad Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 03:14:07 pm »
We're expecting 7" of snow today (Friday) and more on Sunday...and more after that.  Definitely a 'White Christmas'. My wife is thrilled.  I'm keeping my own counsel. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:21:55 pm »
Jim you are a very WISE MAN!!!  Tis the season  ;)  My sons Nicholas and Gabriel are trying to dig us out.  My husband is working a double at the hospital, because many could not get in for the afternoon sift.  Got a lovely pot roast in the oven and it smells sooooo good.  Nothing like comfort food o a cold snowy evening. 

Okay Lori, I think at this moment you ARE NOT one of my favourite people!  Talk about rubbing salt into the wound  ;D  Enjoy your sunny warm evening! 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 04:32:59 pm »
Well, I would like to have a white Christmas!  And my little ones love the snow so I can enjoy watching them from indoors where it's warm.  I grew up in the Northeast with lots of snow and I remember how much fun it was before you had to drive in it, so I'd like them to be able to experience that.  But I don't think that's going to happen here.

The rest of my family, still in the Northeast, is getting buried with snow right now though.  At least I'll get to see pictures.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
Is now a bad time to mention that it's in the 70's here and sunny too?  Whodathunk that 1 week ago we miraculously got snow (it's only snowed 3 times since I've been alive) and today it's where it is..  Texas weather; gotta love it!  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 06:03:45 pm »
Lori and Brian -

if you want a white Christmas, head my way - and I'll head yours; I could use some nice warm weather.

While I'm all for a white Christmas, I honestly didn't need it to be this  white  ::)

The freezing rain started about midnight and was followed by snow.  By 4:50 a.m. the school district was calling saying the schools were closed - which was a HUGE disappointment to my children  ;)   Yeah, right!  :D

Just as I was drifting off to sleep again about 6 a.m. I got the call that my office was closed too.

Spent some major time shoveling today.  All told, we got about 6 inches.  My parents who live about 90 minutes away from us got 12  :o

All I can say is thank God the symposium is in August. 

Although maybe we should ask the ANA to move it to LA in December for 2011 ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 08:15:23 pm »
I like the snow.  In the mountains, where it belongs!  But, since I don't have to be at a job anymore, I don't mind the winter so much.  I like a good storm now and then.  We don't often get the snow storms here, so have to kind of enjoy it if while it's here.  It'll be back to rain soon enough. 

Texas weather?  Maybe now, but not in the summer!  For me anyway. 

Actually, right now, I'd enjoy being back in Hawaii where I lived for three years. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 10:36:06 pm »
Bad weather here in Ohio and also where we're headed--Philadelphia on Sunday.  We are going to try to drive through it but won't hesitate to pull over and stay at a hotel if we must.  Everyone be safe for the holiday travel!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 12:35:58 pm »
As expected, our warm weather is gone now.  Typical TN weather - you're wearing shorts one day and a furry parka the next.

I saw pictures in the paper of the Great White North - whoa!  Am I glad I don't have to try to shovel all that!  You might have a white Christmas, Easter and 4th of July!!

Hope everyone stays safe - no slipping and sliding recommended for those with lousy balance to begin with!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 04:45:55 pm »

Don't think we'll have a white Christmas, because this should be melted away by then.  But it's pretty, so far.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 07:32:21 pm »
I can take the snow, it's the cold that gets to me.

It's currently -3 here, and then there's the wind chill which is making it -23  :o

Looking forward to tomorrow; the high is supposed to be a very toasty 6  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 07:40:54 pm »
Wow, Jan, don't get heat rash!  ;D

I don't think the weather people know what the heck is going to happen here in the greater Portland/Vancouver area.  It's nuts.  Snowing again.  The streets are a mess and many roads are closed.  That picture I posted?  Well, you can't hardly tell there is that little stone wall there anymore, and the little spruce is almost covered in white.  We are hunkered in and watching movies.  We saw Mamma Mia last night.  The boys put up with my Chick Flick.  I loved it.. silly and fun.  Meryl Streep is a marvel.  We watched a movie that we had: Trains, Planes and Automobiles, and it's been awhile since we've seen it and it was hilarious all over again.  And tonight, it's Pay Per View and Fred Claus.  As long as we have power, we're doing okay!  Time to drag out a puzzle, too.

Hang in there, guys!

Sue in Snowy Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sgerrard

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 09:57:06 pm »
I think we are on for a white Christmas in Portland after all. This morning we had 6 to 8 inches of snow, with a 1/4" of ice layered on top for good measure. The plans for a family Christmas in Ashland have been scrapped for now, the roads are just too hazardous. I have already started eating some of the presents I was going to deliver.  ;D

I have a fond memory from college of driving a borrowed car in January in Chicago during one of those sub zero winter storms, and running out of gas at night, and putting gas in it from a can, and having some spill on my hand. I don't know what the wind chill of that was, but yikes that was cold!

Hope everyone stays warm and safe. Just think, tomorrow the days start getting longer again!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 10:20:25 pm »
I can see the snow-covered mountains from where I live.  Does that count?  Actually, by LA standards -- it's been a little chilly at night in the low 40s.  But the closest snow is still 20 miles away.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 02:19:10 pm »
Gee Steve, I don't even think they are going to talk about us on the National news.  Bummer.  The city is practically shut down. 

I went to school in Ashland.  Nice town.

Sue in Snowy Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sgerrard

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 04:30:17 pm »
AP gives a mention to the Seattle/Portland storms: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ifTg_yfYpAykFLdY6fVBnb3NeMZAD957VL301

I like ye olde time feel of abbreviating Oregon as Ore.

This is the most snow in Portland since 1980, I am told - wasn't here then, but it is easily the most I have seen.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.