Author Topic: Surgery Date is SET  (Read 2751 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Surgery Date is SET
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:26 pm »
Hi All!

After 2 consultations, I have made my decision for microsurgery in Cincinnati, Ohio at the Brain Tumor Center, University of Cincinnati Medical Center with Drs. Tew and Penzak.  The big day is 1/13/09 and I am looking forward to getting on the other side of this thing (although the panic comes and goes!).  Retrosigmoid approach for my 3+ CM AN.  I am taking time off work between Christmas and New Years - perfect timing to get myself, my family, and my house ready.  Thanks to all of you for your advice, calming me when I've been a basket case, and for sharing yourselves with my daughter, Kristin, too. 

Any thoughts on how to best prepare for this before and after surgery will be appreciated, as always!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

sgerrard

Re: Surgery Date is SET
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:09:10 pm »
Good call, Kathy. Dr Tews is co-chairman of the ANA medical advisory board, so I have to say nice things about him.  ;)

Congratulations on making the decision. Now you just need to go on auto-pilot for a couple of months, and let the whole thing unfold. I'm sure Kristin will take care of you.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:25:30 pm »
Hi Kathy,

Here was a thread from a while ago in  which people discussed what to bring to the hospital.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=34.0

I hope it helps.

All the best,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:32:37 pm »

Hi Kathy,
I just had a retro on 12/10, and I think that bringing several pair of those nice comfy, snuggly socks is a definite.  I would also bring chapstick-hospitals are very dry, as well as cold.  I also had my family bring my orthopedic pillow from home.  Your neck and back will be in a strange position during surgery, and at one point in my stay, my back hurt way more than my head!  The hospital got a heating pad for me as well--heaven!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:52:51 am »
Before you know it you will be on the other side of that bridge. I had my surgery 2 months ago and it is so weird to think that the surgery date has come and gone and life is pretty much back to normal. One of many things that helped me is to have a goal. Believe it or not my goal was to look forward to my next AN support group meeting and to encourage others that were facing what I had gone through. My wife took a pad and paper and wrote down every medicine and time that was given to me. This was a big help due to the shifts the nurses had. The biggest help for me was to give control of what was going to happen to GOD and rely on HIS strength. Hang in there and we look forward to hearing from you after your surgery. You are in peoples thoughts and prayers.
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Kabe

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:04:20 pm »
Kathy,

I live in Cincy and started researching surgeons recently.  Dr. Tew is very respected as is Dr. Pensak.  Dr. Tew is the director of UC Brain Tumor Center / Mayfield Clinic is highly respected and on of the best here in the Midwest.  You're in very good hands.

Not sure if you live here or are traveling in to have your surgery. If the later, I'd be happy to help with local info etc...  I know you'll come through this just fine.

Mike.

Jill

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
Kathy,

I know you and I will both do well.  In our e-mail conversations I did not realize you had a daughter.  I have 3 sons and they are being very quiet about all of this.  I am sure they are scared.  I think I will show them this website and maybe they can get some of their questions answered.  Boys are so different about this type of thing.

Jill

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »
Kathy,

I know you and I will both do well.  In our e-mail conversations I did not realize you had a daughter.  I have 3 sons and they are being very quiet about all of this.  I am sure they are scared.  I think I will show them this website and maybe they can get some of their questions answered.  Boys are so different about this type of thing.

Jill

Not to hijack, but this spoke directly to me.  I have 1 daughter (8) and one son (3).  My kids were 7 and 3 when I had my surgery.  Both have done remarkably well with the surgery and recovery.  My youngest even was telling people that I got into a fight when (about my scar).  What has been said here, and is remarkably true, kids are able to adapt easily.  Both of my kids visited me in the hospital.  Both knew something major was going on, but both took it in stride.  I can't speak for older kids (don't know how old yours are), but my impression is that kids are very much like men (or the other way around) in that they just want to know that you're gonna be there after surgery/radiation.  As long as you reassure them that this won't be the end, then the rest they can deal with.  Their fear comes from feeling like you won't be there for them.  Once they are convinced that everything will be fine in that department, then the SSD, or palsy, or whatever is minor in their minds.

Good luck to both of you..

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:49:27 pm »
Kathy:

Congratulations on selecting a surgeon and facility for your surgery.  This decision is one of the more difficult parts of the AN journey and it's always good to be past it and have confidence in your choice. 

I suspect that preparation for surgery is usually over-emphasized a bit and really consists in enjoying the time ahead as much as possible, eating well and attempting to maintain your health and strength. I had very little time to 'prepare' for my surgery and was underweight.  I did fine and was home in less than 5 days.  I recuperated within a few weeks and things have been all positive since.  I put it in God's hands and fully trusted my doctor so there was little for me to 'do'.  I took nothing special to the hospital and didn't need much (O.K., I'm a guy).  What little I needed my very supportive wife brought or obtained somehow.  I do urge all AN patients , especially those undergoing surgery, to have an advocate, before, during and after, if possible.  Whether its a spouse, sibling, parent or friend, you really need someone with you as much as possible, looking out for your interests.  My wife was with me every step of the way.  She didn't leave the hospital for 3 days (she slept in the nurse's sleep area, after my surgeon told the nurses to accommodate her). I deeply appreciated her presence, even when I barely knew she was there.  I fully believe that her attention was a benefit to me in many ways and certainly lifted my spirits. 

I believe we've covered the various approaches on telling children about your AN and surgery.  My only child was an adult (27) at the time of my diagnosis and surgery so I have no credible personal experience to offer but I think 'Pooter' and others have given some solid advice.  Of course, a parent understands his or her own children better than anyone else so I'm sure you'll employ your understanding of your children to decide how best to handle this with them.     

I wish you a successful, complication-free surgery and a rapid and total recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:43:05 pm »
Hello Kathy,

Best wishes to you on your impending surgery and recovery! 

I had my surgery on Dec 8th.  My two most constant companions, aside from my wife, were H2O and chapstick.  Stay hydrated.  Hospital gowns are a bit lacking, so I really enjoyed pajama bottoms to cut the draft.  Something about kilts comes to mind, but proably best left unsaid. 

The forum is a great place for information, as you know, so fill the gaps in your knowledge about the process, and the outcomes.  Use the weapon of knowledge to your advantage.

Cheers!

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »
Thanks so much for all the encouragement!  I'm actually looking forward to this - it's been so long and drawn out since my diagnosis, even though it was only 11/14!  I draw so much strength from all of you!!

Jill, I have a son, too.  He is 23  and Kristin is 19 - they are as different as possibly can be.  Ryan is very quiet, smiles when he knows I'm concerned but other than he doesn't say much at all.  Kristin is my rock - researcher, cheerleader, shoulder to cry on - I did a LOT of that during my first 2 weeks of knowing this thing was in my head!  She knows as much if not more about ANs than I do.  I agree that boys are gonna handle things differently.  I would try to guide them to what to read - some things on this forum might scare them a bit (they sure did me!!!!).  Most, though, have been just the ticket for my peace of mind. 

Keep me posted on how things move along for you!!!

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:53:40 pm »
Kathy M -

I'm chiming in late here - so much ice and snow the schools, as well as my work, were closed today and I spent a few hours shoveling  ::)

Congratulations on making your treatment decision.  There seems to be a lot of that going on lately  ;)

Like most have already said, Drs. Tew and Pensak both have very good reputations; you're definitely in good hands.

Don't forget to add your "big day" to the AN Calendar - you'll find a link at the bottom of Steve's profile.

And, hi and welcome to JohnnyDiaz - haven't noticed you around here before. Thanks for joining us  :)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 06:53:22 pm »
Kathy, as we've discussed before, I feel like we have a lot in common(age, type/size of AN, retrosig surgery, 2 great kids, 2 great doctors). That should add up to a great outcome like I had. Sounds like you've got a great surgical team lined up with great support on the family side as well. I know you're ready to get on the other side asap....waiting for me was the most difficult part. Know that you've done all you can and now trust your experienced doctors.

Enjoy the holidays. 

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

calimama

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 07:07:21 am »
Hi Kathy,

Glad you have to this point in your journey... i think diagnosis and decisions are the hardest part. Then you just wait, do it, and recover.

I didn't take much to the hospital... was told not too. One little thing that i did take (on the advice of many here) was chapstick! and I couldn't have done with out. I also brought extra water with me and gatorade. Didn't use any kind of make up or face stuff, otherthan those cleansing wipes after a few days. I could have REALLY used an eye patch as my eye wouldn't close and they didn't give me one in hospital (!!??!). They did sell them in the drug store downstairs, but they were awful...too tight. A light robe is a good idea. Deoderant a must.

At home, i needed a chair for showering (used for a about a month). My husband also had a (rental) walker waiting for me (i used on in hospital a few times for walks), but i didn't use it past the second day (we have a small house, bungalow, which helped).

Glad you have your daughter looking out for you. I wouldn't have made a whole week in hospital without my dearest mom.

Good Luck.

Trish in Toronto Canada
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:32 am »
Hi Kathy
Congratulations on making your treatment choice.  I also think making your treatment choice is the hardest part of this experience.  Now that the choice is made, don't look back and second guess anything.  It so\unds like you are in good hands and before you know it,you'll be a postie.  Hope you can relax a little and enjoy the holidays with your family.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!