Author Topic: Has anyone been told smoking will significantly affect their surgery?  (Read 2028 times)

joebloggs

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted, hope you are all well and looking forward to Christmas.  Last time I wrote I was in the UK and had seen my surgeons there but was hoping to have the operation back in Australia with my family.  Well, I'm here now and met with the Australian neurosurgeon and ENT surgeon on Friday.  All good.  I had a new MRI to show them (since my MRI from the UK which was sent by the doctors there has never made it) and the AN has grown 3mm since the last MRI in June.  The neurosurgeon asked me if I smoked, I said no, then asked my Dad, who said yes (mum and dad, mum in particular smoke like chimneys).  The doc said that under no circumstances should I be around smoke over the next three months (he's scheduled my surgery for March).  So Dad said ok in the appointment then as soon as we got to the car he completely justified things by saying well he's just one of those doctors who doesn't like smoking isn't he, and promptly lit up. 

Now I don't know what to do.  I want to be with my Mum and Dad, and have no ability to pay to stay anywhere else in Australia while I'm here as I'll be on unpaid leave from work until my operation when I'll get full paid sick leave.  Things here are costing a lot, $500 on my MRI the other day, $500 on my appointments on Friday, now I need another MRI that is closer up and some balance testing and I will struggle to pay for all of that.  I would hate for some horrible complication to occur which could be put down to the fact that I lived in a smoke filled environment before the surgery because I don't want my parents to feel guilty if something goes wrong, but at the same time, this is not something you can stuff about with - it's important and if they're not willing to try to give up or even discuss it with me, maybe I have to go back to the UK, something, I fear would probably damage the relationship with my parents for good.  AAaaaarrrrgghghgh! 

Has anyone else been told smoking is not good before the surgery?

thanks
JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Has anyone been told smoking will significantly affect their surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
No doctor said anything like that to me, but then my patient information said that I am a non-smoker, so maybe they didn't say anything.  Obviously smoking and second hand smoke is not good for you, and maybe he's concerned about your lungs during surgery, but I've never heard anyone on here say anything on this topic.  And I'm sure your mum and dad, even though they love you and would do anything for you, are not going to abide by any no smoking in the house routine, if that's what they've been doing for the past 40 years.  So, get away from the house as much as you can, I guess. Or don't worry about it.   ;)

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 08:37:07 pm »
Smoking is not recommended prior to any surgery.  It decreases the amount of oxygen that can be carried by your blood (long explanation - hypoxic vs. hypercarbic drive or something like that - it's been a while since nursing school)- and the decrease in oxygen can delay healing.  Smoking can also cause your blood vessels to constrict, making it harder for the tissues to get healthy oxygenated blood.

However, I've never heard a doctor suggesting that second hand smoke would be that dangerous.  Of course, it's never good, but I can't imagine it being a huge issue. 

Maybe you could ask your parents if they'd be willing to cut back a little bit for the time being and to step outside to smoke.  I would hope that they'd understand that the doctor only wants what's best for you and I'm sure they do to.  I've never been a smoker myself, but I understand it's a tough habit to break, but I think if you explained to them how concerned you are about it causing problems in your recovery, they'd be willing to at least give it a try.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:46 pm »
I haven't heard of second hand smoke being a particular issue for surgery. I think you would be fine if you try to stay out of the room when smoking is taking place. Usually your own bedroom and the bathroom are safe. :)  If you can get them to step outside, or smoke mainly in certain rooms, and not in the car when you are a passenger, that should be more than enough to satisfy the pickiest neurosurgeon. Don't worry about some horrible complication that is all their fault; that won't happen.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 06:26:14 am »
Hey Sue, Lori and Steve,

Thanks for your replies.  I've done a little bit of research and it looks like the doctor (and Lori) was right.  I found a few sites which generally had the same information: "the risks involve being more likely to starve your heart of oxygen, form blood clots, have difficulty breathing during surgery, increase risk of infection, impair healing and change the breakdown of certain drugs in the blood and the body is less able to cope with the pressure of anaesthesia.  Children and adults exposed to tobacco smoke have more breathing difficulties after having a general anaesthetic drug than non-smokers who have not been passive smoking. Children affected by tobacco smoke have lower levels of oxygen in their blood after surgery.  Non-smokers should avoid other's tobacco smoke before surgery" http://www.qldcancer.com.au/reduce_risk/prevention/documents/smokingandsurgery280306.pdf & http://www.quit.org.au/article.asp?ContentID=6603

"Passive or second hand smoking is not as bad as active smoking: this is not true
Second hand smoke is unfiltered so that carcinogen level can be up to 100 times higher than those inhaled directly through cigarette.
30 minutes Exposure to smoke is enough to reduce coronary blood flow while long term exposure increase the chance to have lung and heart disease by 25%
In children exposed to parents smoke are at higher risk of perioperative respiratory complications .in one study where 602 children who are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke undergoing surgery under anaesthesia. Children with high urine cotinine (the metabolite of nicotine) have higher rate of perioperative respiratory complications as compared to those with low urine cotinine.(6) also there is 10 fold increase in the incidence of laryngeal spasm on emergence from anaesthesia (7)"
Adel Elshimy: Why You Should Stop Smoking Before Going For Surgery?. The Internet Journal of Health. 2006. Volume 5 Number 1.http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijh/vol5n1/surgery.xml

http://www.stop-smoking-updates.com/quitsmoking/why-quit/reasons/quit-for-the-sake-of-your-health.htm

I've also found a paper from a journal:

Passive Smoking as Potential Risk Factor for Allergic Disorders .
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery , Volume 133 , Issue 2 , Pages P200 - P200
M . Clemente , L . Clemente

But I don't have an athens account any more to access it.  Bummer.

That was just from a five minute google search, but I guess the doc has probably seen first hand the effects of smoke so I'm either going to have to avoid it or go and stay at my sister's (who also smokes but not nearly as much and is willing to go outside) until the op.  Anyway, at least those of you on the forum who were unaware of the effects of smoke on surgery now know!

Cheers again for the replies!

JB

Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:43:51 am »
JB:

Let me attempt to address your dilemma by stating that I smoked for 30 years but quit 'cold turkey' almost 20 years ago.  No pills, patches or hypnotism were necessary and I did not gain weight.  I simply decided to stop, for all the usual reasons; fear of cancer, bad example to my then-young son, the potentially negative effect on my voice (I was a radio announcer), increasing cost and the decrease of social acceptance for smoking in public places.  It isn't that difficult if you choose to do so, at least it wasn't for me as I was simply tired of smoking, got little or nothing from it and had the aforementioned reasons (and others) to nudge me toward a smoke-free life.  During my AN surgery pre-op testing, my lungs were clear and my heart and circulation were excellent - and I was 63 years old at the time and no athlete.

That having been stated as a full disclosure and admitting that I'm a tad biased - I never really bought into the idea that simply breathing the air that contains smoke already passed through another person's lungs is highly detrimental to one's health and, specifically, can restrict your breathing capabilities during surgery.  I believe this is more well-intentioned opinion than objective science but as a long-time non-smoker, I now dislike being around those who smoke (some of my close relatives), mostly due to the 'stench' and the fact that I have to immediately wash everything I've worn while in their house in order to get the smell of smoke out.  Please understand that I'm not advising you to ignore the second-hand smoke around you.  However, since you really have few other options and don't wish to shatter the relationship with your parents, you may simply have to work around the situation.  Unfortunately, as selfish as they may seem to be about this, it is their home and people still have the right to smoke in their own home.  Steve (sgerrard) and others offered some practical suggestions for minimizing the smoke-filled spaces you'll be living in and I would hope your parents might try to accommodate you for a time.  You're not asking them to give up smoking (which would be a futile request, anyway), just to restrict it to certain areas until you undergo your surgery.  Smoking in the car should be strictly off-limits during this time.  However, you simply cannot dictate to mature adults - your parents - how they must live.  I would appeal to their concern for you and your health as you await your AN surgery.  Beyond that, you'll have to deal with the situation as best you can and in doing so, realize that breathing 'second-hand' smoke will very likely not be the cause of some catastrophic complication during or after your surgery, despite some of the dire warnings you can find in medical websites from well-intentioned doctors.   Let me be clear: I don't for a moment advocate smoking - for anyone of any age - but I'm skeptical of the second-hand smoke theory that seems a bit overwrought and not based on solid scientific evidence.  However, avoiding tobacco smoke is always a sensible idea, even if only to keep the smell of it from clinging to you and your clothing.  Moving in with your sister may prove to be the simplest choice as it avoids the 'second-hand' smoke and retains your family connection. 

I trust this will work out for all concerned - you, especially - and I appreciate your time and patience in reading this mini-novel.  Be well.  :) 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:34:18 pm »
yes, they asked me if my history included smoking. and why i shouldn't start again b4 this if i did . i'm a pipe smoker but had 3 years no smoking b4 my surgery.

smoking affects the immune system, depletes vitamins , all sorts of things including of course breathing functions. so for major surgery, which this is, i think smoking cessation would be good and common practices for a couple weeks b4 surgery and after.

Being around smokers, whether they filter it thru their lungs or not, cant be good for us after surgery. they do make portable ionic filters though that greatly diminish smoking and its particulate IF you keep them clean............

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:18:31 am »
Hi all,

Been a while since I posted, hope you are all well and looking forward to Christmas.  Last time I wrote I was in the UK and had seen my surgeons there but was hoping to have the operation back in Australia with my family.  Well, I'm here now and met with the Australian neurosurgeon and ENT surgeon on Friday.  All good.  I had a new MRI to show them (since my MRI from the UK which was sent by the doctors there has never made it) and the AN has grown 3mm since the last MRI in June.  The neurosurgeon asked me if I smoked, I said no, then asked my Dad, who said yes (mum and dad, mum in particular smoke like chimneys).  The doc said that under no circumstances should I be around smoke over the next three months (he's scheduled my surgery for March).  So Dad said ok in the appointment then as soon as we got to the car he completely justified things by saying well he's just one of those doctors who doesn't like smoking isn't he, and promptly lit up. 

Now I don't know what to do.  I want to be with my Mum and Dad, and have no ability to pay to stay anywhere else in Australia while I'm here as I'll be on unpaid leave from work until my operation when I'll get full paid sick leave.  Things here are costing a lot, $500 on my MRI the other day, $500 on my appointments on Friday, now I need another MRI that is closer up and some balance testing and I will struggle to pay for all of that.  I would hate for some horrible complication to occur which could be put down to the fact that I lived in a smoke filled environment before the surgery because I don't want my parents to feel guilty if something goes wrong, but at the same time, this is not something you can stuff about with - it's important and if they're not willing to try to give up or even discuss it with me, maybe I have to go back to the UK, something, I fear would probably damage the relationship with my parents for good.  AAaaaarrrrgghghgh! 

Has anyone else been told smoking is not good before the surgery?

thanks
JB

JB: smoking is not good going into surgery as a general rule and I would say that includes second hand however that being said I smoke a pac a day right up until 6 hours before the surgery and was fine, I wouldn't get all bent outta shape about it, if you can't be elsewhere just don't sit in the same room while your father smokes if you don't have to
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)