Author Topic: Driving post op  (Read 2769 times)

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
Driving post op
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:03:46 pm »
Hi guys n gals,

I'm now 3 and a half months post op and drove my wife back from Birmingham Airport Alabama, having dropped off youngest boy(15), who is off to see his dad for about 10 days, to our home just west of Atlanta, about 150 miles. ;D

My first attempt at driving. My wife was so happy and told me it was the best Christmas present she could have had. Seems like I'll be doing most of the driving from now on. ;D

Kit W
Don't let jealousy get a hold of you. If it does it will ruin the rest of your life.

My mind often wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
Do I look like I care!

5cm+ AN removed 9/11/08. Dr Tairq Javed. Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, GA

JohnnyDiaz

Re: Driving post op
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »
Congrats on the driving. I myself also began driving last week and my wife was so excited that she did not have to drive me to work. Who would guess that driving would be a big milestone but it is. Again Congratulations and we will see ya on the road...

Thanks,
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

waypoint

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:18 am »
congrats on getting back to driving. It's great to feel like you're returning to a sense of normalcy. I found that driving was pretty easy for me, but crossing busy streets  took alittle longer to get use to.  Any time you have to turn your head back and forth, you'll feel alittle less sure... That feeling will get better overtime. good luck.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »
Kit:

Congratulations on your resumption of driving 'duties'.  This is always an important milestone in AN surgery recovery and you're certainly in the upper range for attaining normalcy.  Good job!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:59:11 pm »
Kit -

driving is an important milestone.

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 08:03:04 am »
Hi Kit!

Congratulations on this wonderful milestone!  When I started driving post-op I found it to be very important.  It was the beginning of the return to nromalcy (whatever that is) and independence.  I will never underrate the ability to be independnet in any way again.

Congrats again,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:44:01 am »
Hey Kit,
Congrats on driving!  I remember feeling like I had graduated or something when I finally got behind the wheel of my car.  Happy New Year to you and yours!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 12:44:04 pm »
Congrats Kit,

The day I began driving again after surgery was a great day for me. I'm happy for you.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wcrimi

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 01:37:41 pm »
Congratulations.  I'm sure you feel great about that. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 06:49:10 pm »
What a great surprise!  I know I was ecstatic (as people can attest here) about driving for the first time on Father's Day..  I just wanted to hug my car afterwards!  It's one small step into normalcy.  Congratulations!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Dawn

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »
I see that getting back to driving is a big deal....about how long after surgery was it that you were all able to drive?  I will be going for surgery at some time and am trying to figure about how long some of the recovery will take and that is one thing I will need to do ASAP.  So hearing how long it took everyone will give me a ball park figure.

Thanks and wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

wcrimi

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 08:44:25 pm »
I see that getting back to driving is a big deal....about how long after surgery was it that you were all able to drive?  I will be going for surgery at some time and am trying to figure about how long some of the recovery will take and that is one thing I will need to do ASAP.  So hearing how long it took everyone will give me a ball park figure.

Thanks and wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

Dawn

Dawn ,

It's different for everyone.  I tried driving a little for the first time during week 5 of my recovery. The first time was in a large parking lot with no traffic at all. Then I tried local streets with almost no traffic for short trips to the store.  I think it takes most people a bit longer than that, but I pushed myself to try it in a safe area just to see what it would be like.  I haven't done any long trips and haven't driven at night yet, but I feel ready to try (I'm in week 7 now).   

Wayne

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:46:18 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 10:47:05 am »
Hi, Dawn:

Unfortunately, there isn't a precise time frame for recovery from AN surgery, including the ability to safely drive again.  I was given permission (by my neurosurgeon) to drive, two weeks after my surgery.  Other AN post-op patients have been able to resume driving even sooner. However, some need many weeks, even months to recovery sufficiently enough to safely drive.  Post-op, some have a 'woozy' feeling when turning their head that is very distracting and an obstacle to safe driving.  Others have real problems with vision and of course, if you're SSD (Single Side Deaf), this poses another problem.  Fortunately, most of these issues almost always resolve in time (hearing loss can be the exception) and are surmountable with practice and determination.  The tough part is that no one can predict exactly what, if any, issues you might encounter, post-surgery and how long your primary recovery period will be.  For some, it's a few weeks, for others, a few months and some fall in between or take even longer.  It's frustrating for the AN patient considering surgery because it opens a door to the unknown, and no one likes going into something as serious (and usually necessary) as AN removal surgery without at least having a fairly firm idea of what to expect.  Still, I would be lying if I told you that you would likely be driving again within 4 to 6 weeks.  Based on the averages, that is a reasonable expectation.  However, as there isn't much that is 'average' about recovery from acoustic neuroma surgery, I have to add the caveat that your mileage recovery may vary from the average.  Let's hope that it is in the extraordinary range.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
Dawn,

After my surgery every car ride felt like a roller coaster ride--yeah it was rough. My shock absorbers didn't work and my head felt like it was bouncing all over the place like a bobblehead doll. It wasn't until that feeling subsided (around six wks post-op) that I got the nerve to drive locally. First around the block, then longer distances. It took me a few more weeks before I drove outside of town. Once I conquered the roller coaster thing, the issue was in turning my head from side to side without the dizziness affecting me too much. I found that I was avoiding high traffic areas and making alot of right turns. But you have to be careful making too many right turns. You end up going round in circles and getting dizzier.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 06:18:04 pm »
Dawn,
I started driving again 4 weeks post-op.  I could have started earlier than that, but didn't have anywhere to go.  I'm now 6 weeks post-op and bought a new car yesterday.  Unfortunately, by the time we went through the hours of negotiations and paperwork, I was too tired to drive the 2 hours home.  :-(  But as far as the driving itself, I feel 100% normal and have since the first time I got back behind the wheel.

Vonda <---- who would swear this was all just a bad dream if it wasn't for the growing out hair and the face that doesn't work right