Author Topic: Want "real user" comments on Cros aid  (Read 2856 times)

Boppie

Want "real user" comments on Cros aid
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:38:22 pm »
I read so many positive posts about BAHA but very few about Cros.  Assuming Phonak makes the Cros aid because there is profit in it, one would think there are some positive aspects to this aid. :D

If a unilaterally deaf person doesn't want or can't get a BAHA what other choice is there for an aid?  Anyone care to give some positive feedback on the Cros? 

russ

Re: Want "real user" comments on Cros aid
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 05:07:33 pm »
Hi Boppie

I've had a standard Cros and a Bi Cros and hated them both. Yes, Phonak markets them now but Telex was the first builder way back in the 70s. The Phonak Cros is old technology.

I believe Widex now makes a digital wireless Cros as well as Audabel and Starkey in their "Wi-fi" system. That would be a vast improvement over telex's original model. There may be others to capture their market share.

In theory, they may work great in some but I have heard from audiologists Cros aids are a bitter/sweet thing to pts.

In short, one ear wasn't designed to do the work of two.

Speaking of "two", that's my 2 cents. Others may have positive experience with their Cros aids.

Best wishes to you in this. I would consider BAHA http"//www.entific.com/ first and formost.

Russ

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:39:44 pm »
Thanks, Russ, I am so torn about another anesthetic though.  I guess I haven't been through enough frustration yet. Educators say "learning is overcoming frustration".

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 08:37:09 am »
Boppie: see my post in "post treatment " area if you didn't get my P.M. I tried to send you. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

thecakes

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 07:30:55 pm »
   I would love to look into using a Cros but Medicare does not pay for a cent of this, so its just a pipe dream.  I'll get by without it.

wanderer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 09:00:35 pm »
Just had the Implant for baha wednesday,  and so far so good.    nothing at all like translab.   

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 11:31:50 am »
I guess Cros doesn't have many "satisfied customers"  I've only had one post in favor, so far.  I realise the aesthetics don't compare to BAHA.

Bad press for BAHA is heavy on one site I checked last week... Problems with implants and second implant attempts.  Are these devices implanted by technicians in some states?

wanderer

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »
my girlfriends family all deal with audiology.  So while I have no direct experience with the cros myself,  I was told that the baha is much better technology.     It makes sense too,   why would you want something blocking your good ear?   I have perfect hearing in my good ear,  so wearing something in it just seemed like too much of a hassle.  They did not have much good to say about the cros expecially when the opportunity for BAHA was available.

I spoke to my doctor and he has only had 1 patient have a problem with the baha implantation.   they did not come back for regular followup and ended up with a problem.   

I have heard of infection and such causing the implant to fall out.  This happens before it adheres to the bone.   From what I understand once the thing is in and solid problems are extremely rare.

I don't know about technicians implanting the device.