Author Topic: Stress about upcoming Surgery!  (Read 3333 times)

Jwh

Stress about upcoming Surgery!
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »
Hi,
Well my surgery is about 1 month away and I'm feeling anxious about it.  I started having heartburn for the last two weeks which I believe is from being nervous. I'm coming off of Lexapro which I was put on when I found out about my regrowth.  Needless to say, it's not easy coming off  - as my body feels totally out of sorts.   I was instructed to come off of it before the surgery because my blood count was messed up. Sooo, I'm struggling right now - yuck.  Do you think the heartburn is from nerves??  Never had it before..
Any input?
thanks,
jen

5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Stress about upcoming Surgery!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:32:42 pm »
Hi Jen,
I was so nervous in the weeks  before surgery that I was not eating much.  Doctor put me on Xanax (I know, more drugs) but it got me through those weeks.  Maybe you can try that?
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:46:10 am »
Hi Jen.

It's only natural to feel nervous about the upcoming surgery. Heartburn is often related to anxiety, and I guess you don't need that right now.
Maybe your doctor has something that can make you relax without interfering with surgery. I hope so.

I wish you luck.

Best regards, Kenneth

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 06:34:24 am »
Jen, i was also very worried before my op. i was getting palpitations, they gave me a ecg and everything was fine.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

carter

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:24:57 am »
i too know stress.... i am waiting for ck.

i had gone as far as to show up for treatment on 2 seperate days.  I lost copnfdence in the dr and went elsewhere.   so i preppped myself twice so far.

i ws referred to a second ck facility.  we discussed treatment and we talked of having thte treatments by year end.  it is now obvious that the time line will not be met.  they shut down for a Christmas break.  no schedule yet. 

i have a business trip Jan 19 fromTulsa to San Francisco.  i booked a ticket for teh wife in case i need help????  to arrive early on that Monday ... go to Alcatraz.

so i am hopefull!!!

i am waiting for the scheduled date and am worried about the side affects - complications.  teh conversations with all dr's to date are of few side affects - if any.  i hae talked a read to find little to great side affects.   the unknown is scary.

teh stress takes its toll on me by:

1.  wake up and can't sleep on some nights.
2.  snap at my wife.   this makes me sad.   she is too good to me to deserve this.  i can only thank her for putting up.
3.  stress headaches????  of AN headaches?

makes us humble quickly

prayer and hugs from the wife help!

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:04:46 am »
Prior to my surgery I too would wake up at night and I just felt like a huge weight was on me. I did notice having heartburn prior to my surgery and I really watched my diet. What helped me was a lot of prayer and I found that talking to someone who had gone through this already was an awesome help. Positive thinking is key and having great support like my wife really helped me. You know also what helped me was thinking what the alternative would be? Even though I wanted to push it aside and forget about it I knew that not doing anything would affect me worse in the future. I was also thankful that I lived in a country where this could be tended to. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Jwh

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:41:39 pm »
Thank you everyone who has responded and read my post ( :  All your words of wisdom do make a difference and I look forward to reading the comments.  It's so reassuring to talk with people who have "walked a mile in my shoes".  At this point, I just want the surgery to come and go!  I think this is the worst part - waiting.  I'm on edge with my whole family. 
Thank you again for the great support and taking the time to reach out to me ( :
Kind regards,
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Denisex2boys

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:04:07 pm »
Oh boy can I relate!  I know it is hard but try not to worry too much ......  I a little over 8 months waiting for a surgery date and when I got the date it was only 2 weeks away!  Thank goodness they only gave me two weeks -- I was a basket case -- I think I lost about 5 lbs before the surgery -- my bowels were working overtime and I would cry at the drop of a hat - - - I think I was more scared for my kids and hubby than for me - - I knew all about the surgery and what to expect but when I actually got a concrete date I was nervous.  My surgery was Oct. 16th of this year which was the Thursday following our Cdn. Thanksgiving - - that weekend we also closed our summer home at the Lake and I actually left a note in my closet up there (just in case).  My hubby was forever the optimist - but I was nervous and just thought 'what if????' - of course, what if is very, very, very, VERY rare so don't even worry about that!

I got through the two weeks and when the day came - I got this weird calming feeling - just knowing this 'unwanted room-mate' would be coming out - finally.

Try to be calm - I definately know and can sympathize with you.....
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

wcrimi

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »
jwh,

Heartburn can definitely come from stress.  I used to have really bad heartburn and abdominal pains related to work stress. I had to chang my lifestyle and get a new job. That ultimately corrected the problem in about 6 montsh or so. Leading up to my surgery I was actually stressing about a return to that discomfort in addition to worrying about the tumor. Fortunately, I handled it all better than I thought by keeping myself diverted by my new job and with hobbies. So heartburn was not an issue. Since this kind of stress is unavoidable leading up to surgery, I would recommend you change your diet to a much blander one than you have now to start. There are plenty of web pages with lists of foods that tend to be a problem. Mine were tomato sauce, some fried foods, juices etc... There are also some over the counter relief medications that can get you through the short term, but I think lifestyle and food are the things you really want to work on until this is all over.   

Wayne
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:42:04 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:54:15 pm »
Jen -

don't stress, it normally doesn't help, it just tends to make you more anxious.

Best advice I can give you as a confirmed control-freak is to put yourself into the very capable hands of your surgeons and let them do what they do best.  All you have to do - at least during the surgery - is sleep.

The first few days post op can be very tough, but generally things improve each and every day. 

Take care and keep the faith; we're all here for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keeping Up

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:17:48 pm »
Jen

I can only imagine what you are feeling.

Heck - I was just getting my first MRI results and thought about getting up and running away when the doctor came around the corner.

While I think prinicipally normal, I am sure it is very very disconcerting.

Hugs

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:34:02 am »
Hi Jen,
Heartburn can definitely be stress induced.  If you think you need something for stress, don't hesitate to ask your doctor -- mine actually offered me Valium because I was so stressed out.  There is no shame in taking it.  For hearburn itself, I found Maalox a great help or even Tums seemed to help.  The AN diagnosis is a very stressful one and right now, even  more than usual, you need to take care of yourself.  You will get through this.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »
Hi Jen,

Heartburn was definitely an issue for me.  I was already on meds for acid reflux, but it seemed like nothing would touch it.  I also broke out in fever blisters, something I had not done in about 5 years.  I was trying to get all my Christmas stuff done before surgery and I ended up making myself crazy!  Once the day came, I went into pre-op with my 9 member posse, and I know I was laughing when they wheeled me away.  I was also on some really good drugs ;D ;D.

Prayer worked for me better than anything else.  No surprises there. :)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

justafactoflife

• Let's Get Er' Done!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 01:35:41 am »
Hi JWH,

I guess my thoughts on the surgery are a bit different than others here.  I had surgery in 2003 by a very good Neurosurgeon in St Louis, MO.  Later, in 2006...I had a regrowth of the tumor because it wasn't totally removed by surgery, unintentionally of course.  As best as they can do it now a days, no surgeon or surgery is the same.  I suggest to you that if you have some time to rethink surgery, or any reservations about surgery, you might want to consider CK radiation.  That is what I did on the 2nd time and looking back at the differences in recovery, and outcome, I wished I had chosen CK radiation the first time.   Most likely, I would have been better off If I had.  Someone on this forum (I think it was Mark) told me to research all my options and I did.  He suggested I look into the www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum and www.accuray.com .   Dr Clinton Medberry of Oklahoma City (St Anthony's Hospital) performed the CK on me.  He will answer questions you may have and even review your MRI free as a second opinion if you send them to him.  He is rated by Redbook Magazine in their annual review, as One of the best in the nation!  I looked seriously at surgery again and GK radiation.  I chose CK and I don't regret it one bit, but remember it is ultimately up to you and what you decide to do.  It is your decision to make based on the best answers you can find!

I checked out every option available, spoke to doctors of all types, forums, and even manufacturers of CK, GK, Novalis, and others to get my answers and make the best decision I could.  Each person here has a different story and outcome.  Research, research, research and it will occupy your mind, which might reduce your symtoms you are experiencing.  None of us were looking at this AN thing as a "Piece of Cake" and as I recall, it drove me batty trying to decide what to do.  I know where you are coming from as for the stomach issues. 

Make your mind up that #1)  You can't change the fact that you will eventually have to do something for treating your AN.  #2)  Let GO, and Let God guide you through prayer and faith that He is not done with you, just yet.  Either way you go, ....Life will go on and you will survive this.  Ask God to guide the hands of the surgeons and/or radiologists and trust in Him!

God's Speed To You and hang in there.  We did this and so can you!!
AN 1st time, July 2003
7mm x 4mm x 5mm
Subocital/Retrosigmode microsurgery
St Anthony's Hospital, St Louis MO
Dr Faisel Albanna, MD Neurosurgeon

2nd regrowth 1cm x 5mm x 4mm, Oct 2006
3 FSR using Cyberknife
St Anthony's Hos. Oklahoma City
Dr Clinton Medbery, III MD Radiologist

3rd 1.8cm x 12mm

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 02:55:25 am »
Hi justafactoflife,

Despite being an advocate for CK, and a fan of Dr. Medbery, I'm not sure I have come across someone who actually got CK from him. I am jealous. Besides being one of the best doctors around, he strikes me as a wonderful person as well, based on his interactions on the CK forum. It sounds like you really did some homework back then.

I should point out that the CK forum was recently moved. The old forum is read-only now, at the link you gave, and  the new forum is now http://www.cyberknife.com/Forum.aspx.

Don't be a stranger...;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.